Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, on my 65 plate Kuga the battery keeps draning overnight, I have looked at replacing but am getting mixed message about the car system needing to be programmed to the new battery serial number or different features will not work, any one help please

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Have you identified if its something on the Kuga thats draining the battery or do you know the battery is failing?

Yes there is Battery Monitoring System which you have to reset if you fit a replacement battery and leave the car for at least 3 hours to allow it determine the state of charge of the battery. You are supposed to use a diagnostic tool to reset it but I think someone tried the following.

1. Get in to the car and do all from points 2 to 4 within 10 seconds.
2. Turn on ignition with engine off (key in position II) .
3. Turn on and of 5 times rear fog light switch .
4. Turn on and of 3 times hazard light switch .
5. If everything goes OK battery light will flash 3 times on cluster within next 15 seconds.
6. Resetting BMS counter finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that getting different responses RAC said it was just a case of the battery going flat and that a run out would recharge, and the drain showing with ignition off was just the management system tried this flat next morning, so I tried Ford assist /AA Ford who said the battery was on the way out but he could not really get accurate test result, No Fords dealer will help untill mid of June so thought I would try changing battery, but the the problem of reprogramming arose.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
After 20 minutes or so when battery saver system kicks in (or should I say drops out), there should be very little current, less 0.1 amp. If there is a drain on the battery then its the Kuga, the AA man should be able to asertin this or whether the battery itself is self discharging. Any auto electrician should be able to do the same.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If you're stuck with a dead battery then just replace it. It's highly desirable to do the BMS reset at the same time, but I don't think there will be any major problems if it's delayed for a few weeks (or longer.)

There's also this variation on the procedure: DIY Battery Monitor System Reset

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Just found this on American Escape forum, anybody tried it

"After battery replacement, or in some
cases after charging the battery with an
external charger, the battery management
system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep
time to relearn the battery state of charge.
During this time your vehicle must remain
fully locked with the ignition switched off.
Note: Prior to relearning the battery state
of charge, the battery management system
may temporarily disable some electrical
systems."
The implication is that a reset is not necessary, IF the car is kept in the condition listed above for the minimum of 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There's a lot of talk on the USA Escape forums regarding the BMS system, resetting when replacing a battery etc.

Here's what's in the Escape (same as Kuga) Workshop manual:

If the vehicle battery is replaced , carry out the BMS Reset using the scan tool. If the BMS Reset is not carried out, measurement data collected for the old battery will not be deleted and future state of charge measurements will be inaccurate. For example, if an old battery has a state of charge of 60% and the new battery has a state of charge of 90%, the BCM will recognize battery state of charge being 30% lower than it actually is. With the battery state of charge being perceived lower than it actually is causes shedding of loads earlier than is necessary. This also impacts the smart regenerative charge system (REFER to Charging System) by causing the battery to be maintained at a higher state of charge than perceived by the BCM , reducing fuel economy benefits.
Regarding the SOC (State Of Charge) measurement- which will also affect battery charging:

Battery Monitoring Sensor
The battery monitoring sensor is attached to the negative battery terminal and cable assembly, which provides a ground to the sensor. The battery monitoring sensor measures voltage, current and temperature of the battery and uses these inputs to calculate the battery condition, transmitting this information through the LIN circuit to the BCM . The battery monitoring sensor has a 2-pin connector providing battery voltage and LIN connections. The battery monitoring sensor has to be recalibrated at regular intervals. This occurs during a rest period or when the battery closed-circuit current is less than 100mA. The rest period must last for at least 3
cardiagn.com
hours. The timeframe in which a recalibration must take place is 7 days. If the system has been unable to carry out a recalibration within this time then it is impossible to confirm the exact state of charge of the battery. Any devices left attached to the power socket that draw in excess of 100mA (or less depending on other battery loads) will prevent a battery monitoring sensor recalibration.

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 4x4
32 Posts
I had to have the battery replaced on my 66 plate, I was going to do it myself decided not to because of the reset, took it to Halfords just before lock down.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just do the button presses as listed up the post. Fit a like for like battery.

In FORSCan you can have the option to fit different Amp Hour batteries but not necessary to change from oem fitment imho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to have the battery replaced on my 66 plate, I was going to do it myself decided not to because of the reset, took it to Halfords just before lock down.
And?? ......did you see them do a battery reset?

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 4x4
32 Posts
no
I was going to buy a battery and fit it myself and the parts company I phoned told me as it is a stop/start engine that it would need reprogramming. When I tried to book it in online with Halfords it shows an extra charge for this also.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
no
I was going to buy a battery and fit it myself and the parts company I phoned told me as it is a stop/start engine that it would need reprogramming. When I tried to book it in online with Halfords it shows an extra charge for this also.
You can do it yourself. See post number 5.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Or Post 2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts