Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just a thought on re-mapping.
if you re-map your engine ( alter the Hp ) and you do not inform your insurance company does that make your policy invalid?
There is always the question - is the car standard/had any alterations.

·
Super Moderator
698 Posts
You have to tell your insurance company, even if you fit a towbar

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yep..........................You do have to inform them.
It's an excuse to charge you more for anything you put on the car.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Always tell your insurance company,,better be safe,

Ross

·
Registered
286 Posts
My insurance stayed the same even after fitting a Bluefin remp (25%+).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Kinda like asking, if you rob the bank, should you tell the cops you did it, in case they don't catch you.

Re-mapping is illegal, so telling it to your insurance is plain STUPID. Why would you do that? :rolleyes:

In 30 years of driving I am yet to hear that an insurance company ordered an engine performance test, to determine the power output post accident OR that an insurance company ordered a software inspection of the ECU.

If you gonna do the re-map, OBVIIOUSLY DON'T TELL your insurance. Just do it, enjoy the smiles/gallon or fuel saving or whatever the heck you're doing it for and just stay quiet about it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I personally would ignore the advice in the post above and always advise the insurers. They would love any excuse not to pay a claim and as SiJY said, with his he did the right thing and it didn’t cost him, but at the end of the day it’s personal choice.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
302 Posts
Silly not to, if your involved in a serious accident the police and insurers could go through your car with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I told my insurance co. and they accepted with no increase in premiums.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It'a illegal NOT to tell them of any change. I had to tell them when I changed my front grille even and also a K&N panel filter even as in the unfortunate event of any claim they will do anything to avoid paying out. Also did you know you had to tell them of any options you added from new even when they are included on the car when you pick it up such as optional larger alloys? I found that out when insuring my S-Max 12 years ago! Read the T&Cs and you'll find out.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If it was illegal to remap..why is it that Mountune remap for Ford? Also if it was illegal insurance companies would not insure them.:unsure:
But its up the person if they choose not the let their insurance company know ,,,also STUPID if they dont let them know.

Reactions: Les and Martin1977

·
Registered
401 Posts
as above.. Its perfectly legal to remap your car... as long as it still meets the requirements of an MOT test. you're good to go.
On the insurance aspect, this is covered via the question of 'are there any modifications to the vehicle', if you answer NO.. you take your chances...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't think you would have to inform the insurance of larger wheels, 17s 18s and 19s are all standard fit for Kuga as are 16s for earlier models.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The person who said it was illegal is not from the UK. Perhaps it's different in their country. I understand if the insurance companies wish to charge extra for performance and handling gains but in some areas it's just an excuse either not to insure or charge a higher premium. Churchill refused to transfer my son's insurance from a Mk6 fiesta to an astra because the astra had privacy glass.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think that there is a law in the US prohibiting or severely limiting the amount of modifications you can do to your car, as well as outlining what steps you must take in order to legalize them. In Greece (and most of Europe, as far as I know) it is not illegal to remap, provided the car passes all required tests (especially smog tests) and is not physically altered in any way, such as removing mandatory parts (DPF, catalyst etc), altering identification plates etc.

Well, altering identification characteristics is illegal anyway :D but even if you do it for valid reasons and in a legal way (for instance, installing a new engine due to catastrophic damage to the previous engine) you have to go through all the necessary channels to declare this to the proper authorities.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think that there is a law in the US prohibiting or severely limiting the amount of modifications you can do to your car, as well as outlining what steps you must take in order to legalize them. In Greece (and most of Europe, as far as I know) it is not illegal to remap, provided the car passes all required tests (especially smog tests) and is not physically altered in any way, such as removing mandatory parts (DPF, catalyst etc), altering identification plates etc.

Well, altering identification characteristics is illegal anyway :D but even you do it for valid reasons and in a legal way (for instance, installing a new engine due to catastrophic damage to the previous engine) you have to go through all the necessary channels to declare this to the proper authorities.
Good point that on legality ... a VERY grey area and something I've thought a lot on....
I guess it all boils down to what constitutes as a 'modification'.....

Aftermarket wheels... most people would agree 'YES'
Performance Air Filter.. .again, most would agree 'YES'.
Ambiguity makes an appearance when you consider a change in exhaust, say you bought stainless as opposed to mind steel, noise isnt increased, neither is performance.. is this then a modification as its an OEM equivalent item?
Take it further,
a change in brake pads .. from standard ford to EBC...?????? you're then involved in an accident, insuring company says your brakes were not to factory standard and therfore faded sooner than OEM's??
or
You change something as mundane as wiper blades (ridiculous I know)... they're not factory standard.. you have an accident in driving rain, insurance claim its because your window wasn't clear due to non-standard wipers.!!!

Consider the REMAP above.. You can have your car remapped for 'economy'...is this still a modification?? see what I mean!?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I asked the question once to my insurance broker and it came down to anything that enhances the performance (that includes suspension performance which perhaps makes the car safer to drive), basically anything that makes it go faster and anything which may entice someone to steal it which comes down to adding a go faster stripe down the middle or sides. I changed my wheels from 16" mazda to 17" mazda on my other car and didn't tell them. Or a modification which adds value to the car. I did however tell them when I put winter tyres on as the speed recommendations where less than the manufacturers guidelines in that they were H rated instead of V rated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts