Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to sit in my Kuga with the engine and ignition OFF and listen to the radio. However after about one minute the sound system shuts down and won’t turn on again till I start the engine. I presume this is to avoid accidental battery drain. How do I extend the shut off time ?

·
Super Moderator
474 Posts
Hmmm... In mine (keyless mind) I just press the button and it come on again, only to go off about 20-30 minutes later, but can still be switched on again. It would help if you included the details of your Kuga in your signature... (press the M button upper right and go to Account Settings)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
In mine, 2017 model, if I stop driving and switch off engine, radio goes off pretty quickly, but can be switched back on independent of ignition a stays on for about an hour, cannot remember what it was like in my 2014 MK2

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Titanium x 2013. Just checked, radio on , turn off engine, less than two minutes later radio shuts off and will not restart until the engine is started.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2018 Titanium X radio does go off after about 5 minutes (haven't exactly timed it). Radio can be turned on by pushing radio on/off switch, but does drop out again.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Doesnt the radio usually stay on after switching of engine until the the battery saver activates after 15 minutes or so, or until you open the drivers door. To listen for a further hour you should be able to simply press the on button and the radio will stay on for an hour even if you open and close the drivers door.. If its not allowing you to run more than a few minutes, the battery saver may be activating because your battery state of charge is low.
You may see the warning that its shutting down on your screen. I'm driving less than 50 mile a week at the moment and oddly enough while giving the inside of the cabin a dust down yesterday and listening to the radio I saw the screen go blank and I got the warning message on my screen and it shut down to protect the battery. Never seen the message before but the radio had been on for probably almost an hour . A quick check of the battery voltage of 11.75V shows it well discharged. So looks like a long drive or a top up charge today.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Put the clip-on ammeter on the battery negative and started the engine which started no problems and I ran the engine for 3 minutes during which time the battery was being charged at between 77 and 80 amps. Certainly wants to put some energy back in quickly.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked again . No warning messages. Radio on and turn off engine. Radio plays less than 2 mins then turns off. Will not play until the engine is started no matter what.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Have you tried to press the ON/OFF button for your radio and not your engine?

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
If you sit in the car doors shut and switch the interior lights on, do they go off after 2 minutes too, just in case battery saver is timing out early. Not that you can adjust it?

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fillco, sat in car engine on , turned on radio and interior lights. Turned engine off. Radio and lights still on 15 mins later. Baffling !!!!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Well that was an easy fix wasn't it?

Just wonder if battery is low state of charge, otherwise joining you with baffled.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So with my Kuga if I want to listen to radio with the engine off all I have to do is turn on the interior lights !!!! Weird or what ????

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Are you saying that if you turn the linterior lights off the radio doesn't stay on?

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to stop the test at 15 mins as had to get out of car. I will try test again fri and see just how long the radio plays before it it shuts off. then I’ll do the test again and try turning lights off . See how that goes.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yes let it time out which I think is 15 or maybe 20 minutes you should still be able to press the on button for an hour, but it may cut out before the hour is up if the battery capacity is low.

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 2013
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Set out with pad, pen and stopwatch to try various permutations. First one was engine on, radio on. Turn engine off. Radio stays on and does so for 10 mins then shuts down. Press radio on button and blow me down it comes back on. I’ve tried that before but it has never worked. If it stays like that I’m happy. A miracle reset.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
That’s the fix then , pad pen n stopwatch😂

·
Super Moderator
474 Posts
It obviously worked because you threatened it with noting data... A mate's PC has a habit of working when he threatens to call me... Same thing!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts