Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, ok (MaoVi) - will test this once I have sorted out FORScan.
As for the towbar and reverse camera question (Obo110) - yes I have both!!! - as mentioned, I am intrigued about this question

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182HP 400Nm (T8MA) MMT6
1,197 Posts
As for the towbar and reverse camera question (Obo110) - yes I have both!!! - as mentioned, I am intrigued about this question
I think he mean if towbar or rear camera was fitted there is possible to damage DAB antenna or wiring. High trim options have 2 antennas. One of it is on the rear roof end and if I good remember it's this one with amplifier.
...when I have a while I will check on what block I got BBC stations

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There have been lots of DAB issues caused by poor quality power supplies for dash cams and DRLs which have been poorly suppressed the noise from the interference causes the DAB signal to drop out.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
I can’t believe that you are prepared to mess with something that you yourself is daunting and for me well is well dangerous if you boo boo and all for a better radio sound. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can’t believe that you are prepared to mess with something that you yourself is daunting and for me well is well dangerous if you boo boo and all for a better radio sound. 🤷‍♂️
I am an ex Television broadcast engineer and now a Physics teacher - so I understand that you need to research very carefuly what is required to use a diagnostic tool and I understand audion systems and equalisation very well. I have had some excellent advice so far (MaoVi), for example, will continue buidling up my knowledge, hence joining this forum. So, to be honest, I find your comment unhelpful and defeatist - the sound in my Kuga is atrocious so I AM going to sort it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Not defeatist at all.
As a mod I read all posts and it is based on fact that some have entered the realm of Forscan and have “bricked “ their cars or systems.

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not defeatist at all.
As a mod I read all posts and it is based on fact that some have entered the realm of Forscan and have “bricked “ their cars or systems.
Ok, apologies I didn't realise you were a modrator - I am fairly new to Forums. Ok - I am going to disconnect the centre speaker first as an easy hardware option but I am very open to advice in terms of Diagnosic tools. So is there an alternative to FORScan?

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
It’s fine and no probs.
The guys that have Forscan are the ones in the know!
They too have tales of woe and warnings as one incorrect “tick” of a box can be trouble.

the only thing I can say is take screen shots of everything prior to making changes.

Even the MK3 has had sound issues along the way.

@smartguy69 is one of the Forscan users and he maybe can advise.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
@Rick H.

I guess, as a fellow mod that we see the results of Forscan 'tinkering' undertaken by those with a far less 'structured' approach to the use of diagnostic tools than your own.

The most common has been not having either a charger plugged in or a battery in tip-top condition while undertaking changes, something 'blips', perhaps even a tiny transient problem and Forscan, and the vehicle. fall over to the point of needing a lift and recovery.

Your diligence is worthwhile but, as one of my old B.Eng lecturers, Dr. Watson, used to say. "You may never read in the future but read it now and then read it again".

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Ok, apologies I didn't realise you were a modrator - I am fairly new to Forums. Ok - I am going to disconnect the centre speaker first as an easy hardware option but I am very open to advice in terms of Diagnosic tools. So is there an alternative to FORScan?
Whatever you do, don't apologise to @Psshaw :D it will only confuse him.

Pull the useless centre speaker first, you should notice a marked improvement.

I'm not aware of any other diagnostic tools that allow addressing to the degree that ForScan enables and certainly none that have exposure to forum members to enable support should anything untoward happen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It’s fine and no probs.
The guys that have Forscan are the ones in the know!
They too have tales of woe and warnings as one incorrect “tick” of a box can be trouble.

the only thing I can say is take screen shots of everything prior to making changes.

Even the MK3 has had sound issues along the way.

@smartguy69 is one of the Forscan users and he maybe can advise.

Good luck.
Thanks - yeah I realised from the very first replies that mentioned taking screen shots and saving them that diagnostics affects the entire car and I am just an audio engineer NOT a car engineer - and could get into trouble. I need almost a way to interrogate just the EQ for the audio system only without touching anything else - if this is too difficult and risky, I might think twice about going into the brain of the car!!
If anyone has an idiots' guide to do this geat, but if it takes far more experience than I have, I may well pay my mechanic to do it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Whatever you do, don't apologise to @Psshaw :D it will only confuse him.

Pull the useless centre speaker first, you should notice a marked improvement.

I'm not aware of any other diagnostic tools that allow addressing to the degree that ForScan enables and certainly none that have exposure to forum members to enable support should anything untoward happen.
Hi NigelB,

Yes I will do the speaker work at the weekend. OK, definutely not goingto give up the diagnostics but going in with the risks known about. So I will continue to put together an exact plan, with an emphasis on the detail once FORScan is running and as you say, the mid speaker removal may well be enough. A final point, I have the free 2 year extended Licence, but do you need to Register this with FORScan? I have tried but it won't give me an invitation code!! If registration is unnecessary I will use it without - again any help appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@Rick H.

I guess, as a fellow mod that we see the results of Forscan 'tinkering' undertaken by those with a far less 'structured' approach to the use of diagnostic tools than your own.

The most common has been not having either a charger plugged in or a battery in tip-top condition while undertaking changes, something 'blips', perhaps even a tiny transient problem and Forscan, and the vehicle. fall over to the point of needing a lift and recovery.

Your diligence is worthwhile but, as one of my old B.Eng lecturers, Dr. Watson, used to say. "You may never read in the future but read it now and then read it again".
Yes, yes - although my MPhys was a long time ago, I too remember similar advice (although from a Physics not Engineering professor!) and it's absolutely right. It's like brain surgery for cars!! the slightest mistake could be catastrophic - I will prepare well or if my nerve runs out - will delegate!!

·
Mr Modification
1,197 Posts
In Forscan there is nothing to be scary about, it require a little of knowledge and will be fine :)
For diagnostic / read trouble codes you not need to plug a charger, it's highly reccomended only while programming, because if you hold your car too long on ignition your battery voltage could drop below "safe" level and car will switch system off (in this scenario there is high possibility to "brick" your current module what was during writing new settings).
You have to remember to allways disconnect / close session by clicking "stop" and then unplugging interface / closing software.

It's good to have saved your current configuration because if your ACM (CD radio / amplifier module) will break down you can buy any other (from Kuga or C-Max) and write to it your old configuration.

I checked my BBC stations in DAB and I have a full list on Multiplex+. I noticed I loosing a signal of other stations but they are quite strong ...maybe just on my area.

I can also say the big improvement of sound after I added small underseat subwoofer. The biggest benefit is reduced bass roll over / cut on high volume, because a lot of low tones took sub, so door speakers could play louder middle and higer tones.
Additional 150W of power it's also noticeable.
The door speakers are not designed to play very low frequencies so this size of sub is more than enough to add them.

@Rick H. If you ever have any questions I'm happy to help...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
In Forscan there is nothing to be scary about, it require a little of knowledge and will be fine :)
For diagnostic / read trouble codes you not need to plug a charger, it's highly reccomended only while programming, because if you hold your car too long on ignition your battery voltage could drop below "safe" level and car will switch system off (in this scenario there is high possibility to "brick" your current module what was during writing new settings).
You have to remember to allways disconnect / close session by clicking "stop" and then unplugging interface / closing software.

It's good to have saved your current configuration because if your ACM (CD radio / amplifier module) will break down you can buy any other (from Kuga or C-Max) and write to it your old configuration.

I checked my BBC stations in DAB and I have a full list on Multiplex+. I noticed I loosing a signal of other stations but they are quite strong ...maybe just on my area.

I can also say the big improvement of sound after I added small underseat subwoofer. The biggest benefit is reduced bass roll over / cut on high volume, because a lot of low tones took sub, so door speakers could play louder middle and higer tones.
Additional 150W of power it's also noticeable.
The door speakers are not designed to play very low frequencies so this size of sub is more than enough to add them.

@Rick H. If you ever have any questions I'm happy to help...
Hi MaoVi,

Fantastic reply this gives me confidence whilst also having caution in mind too from other posts - I will do work on this tomorrow with the disconnection of the mid front spesker first. The Bin under the fornt seat is a fab idea . . will look into this too. I do have a nigling point though having been accepted for the free 2 month extended Licence on FORScan - I can't seem to register it as they haven't given me an Invitation sode - is it necessary for me to Register or can I simply start my screen shotting and plugging in?
As for the BBC DAB - I will first do a full tune and scan on all channels etc looking at the previous posts, if no luck - then I will check the wiring of the aerials, I presume this work would not be covered on a Warranty?

·
Mr Modification
1,197 Posts
To get free 2 months activation code you have to open Forscan (no in the car) and plug your interface to USB then you could copy hardware ID and paste it to the generator, after about 10 minutes they will send email with file:

The sub I had to install under passenger seat, because I have electric on driver side and there was not enough space... it's better idea because it's easier to run wires from back of ACM and footwell fusebox when glovebox was removed.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
To get free 2 months activation code you have to open Forscan (no in the car) and plug your interface to USB then you could copy hardware ID and paste it to the generator, after about 10 minutes they will send email with file:

The sub I had to install under passenger seat, because I have electric on driver side and there was not enough space... it's better idea because it's easier to run wires from back of ACM and footwell fusebox when glovebox was removed.
Yep great as for the FORScan - I already have the 2 month Licence but cannot register on the Website to get the spreadsheet of codes etc - here are two screen shots of the licence verification on the software and the registration page (bottom line)
Colorfulness Rectangle Azure Font Line

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system

Apologies if I have put the full image in - still getting used to the forum systems.

·
Mr Modification
1,197 Posts
So you don't have active user in forum. I don't remember like it was, but it may require someone approval or your activation email is hidden in spam folder.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,602 Posts
@Rick H. - this may be useful as well reference the licence and also for making sure the correct driver is installed for the OBD device. Sometimes just installing the driver isn't good enough. Check to see there are no Comms errors in ports in device manager with the OBD device plugged into your laptop but not with it plugged into the car.

I think the above posts give you enough info regarding Forscan and getting to grips with it but a few key reminders

Decent battery and charger attached when using Forscan is recommended
Save profile on first use
Photo or screen snip before you change anything
Only change what you need
When existing any screen always press the square stop button if applicable
Always press disconnect from car before closing Forscan off

It is sometimes daunting doing something for the first time. Me taking a hand router which I had never used before to a brand new oak door was extremely daunting.

Reactions: MaoVi and Psshaw
21 - 40 of 51 Posts