Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 68 plate Kuga, as an ex sound engineer I noticed the Radio was very dull, no top end sizzle! that you get from the side tweeters, so I changed them. I then used my Spotify on a USB via my iPhone. The sound was perfect!! but I went back to the radio and it was missing the top end?? This really is a mystery so are there separate audio sittings for the radio? Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182HP 400Nm (T8MA) MMT6
1,195 Posts
Sync3 allow me to set only one tone settings for all sources. Even when I connect phone by USB it uses the same settings for radio / bluetooth...
So you have to start to set tones for radio source, and when you will be happy with sound connect your phone and set the equaliser in Spotify settings to desired tones...

You can change factory pre-set equaliser settings in Forscan in ACM (audio contole module) settings. If you have got OBD interface I can write you what option to check / change...
(The range of high tones in Sync are very limited in some EQ settings)

About dull sound I can recommend you to disconnect centre console dash speaker, for someone who like to listen music in this configuration it's absolutely pointless.
The signal to it it's taken from front negative left and positive right, and it drain power from front channel, and it just mess with stereo hearing and overall power output.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Thanks so much, That is the answer I was looking for. I had already set up my Spotify output to boost top and bottom and remove the muddy mids - just like the bin/tops arrangement I used with the bands I engineered and of course with the sound bar and bin set up at home. Also, yes I was hearing a muddy mono sound from the centre - that I have only just realised is a speaker as I haven’t spent much time driving the car!! So I will disconnect this useless centre speaker BUT I do not have an OBD interface as I want to adjust the top and bottom for the radio. Where could I get one from?
Thanks again, always a bit wary of forums but this proves how valuable they are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just looked up an OBD interface:
FORScan ELM327 OBD2 Scanner - with USB to go into a laptop. Cost is about £22 - do most of these diagnostic units do the same job or is there a brand or model that is best suited to the Kuga?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,556 Posts
Just looked up an OBD interface:
FORScan ELM327 OBD2 Scanner - with USB to go into a laptop. Cost is about £22 - do most of these diagnostic units do the same job or is there a brand or model that is best suited to the Kuga?
We have either the one from Tunnelrat with the FTDi chip as a recommendation or the one from OHP Tools. Make sure you select GBP if you go for the OHP one.

To disconnect the centre speaker you need to pop out the speaker cover. I use a small screwdriver to do this and you start from the back nearest to the windscreen first working your way equally towards the front. Speaker is held down with two torx screws if I remember correctly. You may be able to access the wiring to disconnect it without removing it. I can't remember now as it's been a while since I was in there.

@MaoVi will advise what setting to change in ACM.

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,777 Posts
Radio transmissions are horribly compressed, even DAB. My old BMW had a feature that different inputs had different EQ settings, which was a nice touch, I thought.

Reactions: MaoVi and NigelB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi MaoVi,

just going to download the FORScan software on my laptop as the OBD has just arrived. Are you able to post directions to the ACM before I plug in to the port and interrogate the Kuga?
thanka

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,556 Posts
Hi MaoVi,

just going to download the FORScan software on my laptop as the OBD has just arrived. Are you able to post directions to the ACM before I plug in to the port and interrogate the Kuga?
thanka
Make sure you save the current profile when forscan asks. Also it's a good idea to take a screen snip of any module you are going to change before you change it as it's easy to make a mistake.

@MaoVi - please see post before mine.

·
Mr Modification
1,195 Posts
Sorry for late response... Your first step should be learning about basic procedures in Forscan. The best idea is watch some tutorials on YouTube. ...because it's hard to explain everything.

It's important to to save your current module configuration before you make any changes.

Once you read module (play icon), you have to click stop icon when you finish.
The same thing once you connect to the car you allways have to disconnect before you unplug interface...

I allways used battery mainainer / charger while I programming. If your battery it's in very good state of charge should be okay if not it's better to charge it while your car is on the ignition it could drain up to 10A.

When you feel confident in software you have to go to the modules and click to read module ACM (as-build file)
Font Computer Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

then after few seconds you should see your configuration:
Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number

So make sure you save screenshot of your factory configuration...

After that you can start to making changes. To adjust EQ settings you are interested only in:
727-01-02 it's second digit (it's 9*) in my configuration.
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Pattern

There is snap from spreadsheet:
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Pattern

EQ9 it's like loudness. If you already have it programmed to 09 I have the best results on it.

I mean if you set EQ to 0 the sound is very flat and you have to know what you doing. I tried to adjust it by ear, but it was so hard. This setting is for external DSP or amplifier, without professional microphone it's unreal for me set it to the decent results.

You can try to set other settings from 0-9 if you already have 9 or want to try other to find the best results for you. I remember 7 had a lot of high tones...

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I think I need to be pretty careful with this. I have never done a diagnostic before so I am new to the whole procedure.
I will read through your post and the FORSan tutorials to familiarise myself.
For clarity, do these internal settings override the basic EQ bass, mid & treble on the audio menu? and I presume any changes you make cannot be heard until you take out the OBD?
Appreciate the detail of these posts from everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A final issue that’s related, but this time to do with no BBC Radio DAB stations? I will try the suggestions offered on a different thread but what would cause other stations to be available but not BBC?
I am a Physics teacher but I am having to go back to school and be the student, for this!!

·
Super Moderator
3,585 Posts
BBC stations all tend to use the same multiplex (12B). If reception of this multiplex is poor it will affect all BBC National stations

·
Registered
673 Posts
A final issue that’s related, but this time to do with no BBC Radio DAB stations? I will try the suggestions offered on a different thread but what would cause other stations to be available but not BBC?
I am a Physics teacher but I am having to go back to school and be the student, for this!!
Have you a rear mounted dashcam or towbar?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MaoVi,

In terms of sound balancing I always use 'Billie Jean' by MJ as it has the perfect kick, snare and sizzle hi-hat to get a punchy 'Loudness' response!! Well that's how I used to balance my PA systems until people and heat changed the EQ completely!! Hopefully it should work on this car system!

·
Mr Modification
1,195 Posts
For clarity, do these internal settings override the basic EQ bass, mid & treble on the audio menu? and I presume any changes you make cannot be heard until you take out the OBD?
After you click "write" with new settings to your ACM it will save new settings in 5 seconds and your radio will restart with new settings, also your settings in "Audio" section will be reseted to default.
Once your radio will be ready to play music you can hear new settings with still connected interface to OBD.
It's funny because this pre set EQ in ACM are just equaliser settings, so if you set option other than "0" you will set equaliser second time in Sync menu in "Audio" tones... and propably 3-rd time in phone settings.
Professional audio will require external DSP and it will be setup for one audio output (like your phone with Spotify) and tones will be measured and adjusted by high quality microphone.
All different audio sources have different distortions.
Setting equaliser by ear is very difficult. The sound is much different when car is off the road compare to the time while you driving...
no BBC Radio DAB stations?
It's strange because I have plenty BBC in DAB. Did you try to set automatic search option and see what stations are available?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts