Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve bought a Quickjack for my Kuga and, more specifically my Morgan. It has a 12v powered hydraulic pump rated at 800W. Question is, do any of you know of a 240v AC to 12vDC transformer that will give the required amps (66.6 amps by my reckoning) to power it or is the only option to run it off a spare battery?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Thats some power transformer and rectifier requirement. Yes it would be easier to use a spare battery.

230V/8V 1.2kVa transformer and a suitable 150 amp fullwave bridge rectifier is going to set you back a pretty penny plus the enclosure. And that would be an unsmoothed 12V supply.

I see there are some available for around £400.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch! Suddenly the thought of a spare battery for the Mog is becoming more and more attractive. Thanks Fillco

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
You may also find the initial power required when the pump is started exceeds 800W by quite a lot. Definitely a spare battery would be a good idea. Run it on a three stage charger so it's topped up when the hydraulic pump isn't operating.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Sure thing, the crocodile-clip big switch, and of course if using the Kuga battery in situ the negative should be taken from the chassis post dont you think?. Watch out for molten metal :cautious:

I think I'd use a separate battery, the inrush at start up (as pointed out by David) could be whatever the stall current of the jack motor is, but probably similar to the starter motor of a few hundred amps..
That the best thing about a mains power supply, a 1.2kVa transformer is big enough to supply the motor but will inherently sag on start up and limit the current, however the inrush to the transformer may be high enough to trip any household circuit breakers. Stick with a battery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a spare battery which will go into the Morgan. The current one is fairly elderly anyway but certainly powered the jack ok. The Quickjack looks like a really good bit of kit and was fun to put together. Much more stable than axle stands and stops the chassis sagging that little bit if there is a pair of stands at each end. That’s Morgans for you

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Sounds good. Wish there was a means of lifting the Kuga at the front other than via the sill, makes me shudder. Rear is ok as the trolly jack can go under the spring cup and lift via the suspension and not the body.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can use the Quickjack across the car and there is quite a bit of room to place the rubber blocks. The jacks go up and down together so you lift the whole car. Just spent a very pleasant few hours under the Moggie, something that has been very difficult in the past. Oil now drawing over night ready for a fresh supply for the year ahead. And I’ve greased me nipples.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts