Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally take my cars to 'Splashes' hand wash, but I am wanting to look after my Kuga myself, so I am looking to invest in a decent pressure washer.

Do any of you use pressure washers ?
Any reason not to use one ?
Can you recommend any ?

Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
They are great for cleaning underneath and under wheelarches, especially during the winter.
Also handy for cleaning patios,driveways etc.

You just need to be careful that you dont hold the lance too close when blasting painted plastic, such as bumpers, grilles etc. You run the risk of blasting the paint off if you are too close!

Best machines for home users are Karcher. Ive had one for 6 years now, its never coughed and is really powerful.

Have a good look around, they vary a lot in price. Best deals are those where you get extra add ons like a T-racer, dirt blaster lance, soap washer etc.

Seems to often be deals in B+Q, also ideal world on tv!!

Oh, and the biggest thing to remember is when washing -DONT USE A SPONGE. Buy a microfibre "noodle" mit. Much kinder on your paint with less chance of scratches/swirls.

You should understand that even if you have a pressure washer, you will still need to wash the car with soapy water and a mit. The pressure washer alone wont remove all the dirt.

Andy

Edited by: andytran

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Red Max

Have a read of this. It was from the back end of last year. It'll give you an idea of what's good or otherwise.

Halfords own make seem to do pretty well in most reviews I've read, and they have half price offers on occasionally.
<div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 15px; ">

<div style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 15px; ">http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/259540/pressure_washers_tested.html

And I'm with Andy.......Microfibre mitts and towels are the way to go

Edited by: malph

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks both of you for the info and advice
much appreciatedIt was a karcher one I was looking at yesterday and if yours is still going strong after 6 years Andy, then that is really good.

The Autoexpress link is great, thanks malph

Might take my mum and dad shopping to B&Q tomorrow - got to take advantage of the OAP discount

·
Registered
922 Posts
If your getting a pressure washer, make sure you get a snow foam lance as well. Pre soaking the car prior to washing will also help in reduces swirls and scratches.

**** S P O N G E S A R E E V I L T O P A I N T W O R K ****

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Yeahthe Gadget Show reviewed pressure washers recently seem to recall the task was to jet wash a dirty elephant?Hey and the thing is with dirty elephants you can never find one when you need one can you? , anywayand Karcher came out on top, bit unfair really as thisparticulat modelwas a £100 more expensive than the others. Edited by: bobuptown

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Stupot - I have just been looking at the snow foam and lances, and you have just talked me into adding them to my shopping list

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That made me giggle bobuptown
we all have a pet elephant that we need to wash don't we.Agree that the comparisons do need to take into consideration the price differences, the most expensive aren't always the best.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Thanks Red Max, just made an old man happy, thing is thoughsome humour is aregional thing, I note you hail from South Yorkshire where they enjoy laughing, some parts of the Country especially the middle bit do not like anythingespecially laughing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lifes too short to be miserable, I can always find something to put a smile on my face - and Saturday I will be absolutely beaming, in fact you will see it as far as Manchester

Edited by: Red Max

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Remember that parking sensors can be damaged by power washing, or so it says in the handbook!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks BruceKuga - that thought would never have even crossed my mind. They are a must for me, can't risk damaging them

Has anybody actually had this happen ?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Re: Front/Rear colour coded sensors. Well my paintless sensors were not even caused by a pressure washer, they were supplied and fitted bya Ford dealernearEllesmere Port. As soon as we picked Kuga up we were going onto a wedding in Grantham, it was raining, not even drivingrain,however by the time we had arrived at our hotel,a thirdof the paint haddisappeared from the front sensors, curiouslyeven the rear sensors paint had gone and within a week or so most of the sensors were black circular bits of plastic.The dealer told me that the guy who fitted the sensors no longer works for them, but promised to get back to me when they managed to track him down? waited from June 2010 tothe beginning of this year, and then decided to change the Kuga, you have been warned, factory is probably best. Edited by: bobuptown

·
Registered
58 Posts
bobuptown said:
Yeahthe Gadget Show reviewed pressure washers recently seem to recall the task was to jet wash a dirty elephant?Hey and the thing is with dirty elephants you can never find one when you need one can you? , anywayand Karcher came out on top, bit unfair really as thisparticulat modelwas a £100 more expensive than the others.

So that is where I have been going wrong. I was just using the 3 bucket method to wash the elephant (the third being the one to stand on to reach the top of him). Gonna get myself down Halfords for their Elephant Pressure Washer.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Surely if you have an elephant it can wash your car for you - great hose / hooverat the front and wrinkled feet to scrub at stubborn dirt and you'd get free garden fertiliser thrown in.
It has been known to get 4 of them in a mini as well - 2 in the front and two in the back - though they struggled getting in the back of the Kuga - especially the boot!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts

Think the washing's ok, I just wonder if they know how to use claybar?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brilliant !!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Problem with elephants is they are extremely high maintainance (cream buns with jam)and the other thing is of course they are rubbish at changing sheets and crosswords.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all, I have just got a cracking deal on a VaX jet washer, worth visiting their Web site mine was less than half price only 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a lidl pressure washer, they're re branded lavor pressure washers, and cheaper too, they seem to get good reviews and I'm mor than happy with it, ordered a snow foam lance with lavor fitting and must say it's a good thing to use on the weekly wash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts