Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga, Titanium TDCI powershift 2014
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines overdue a transmission oil change and filter, is it a garage job or could be done at home? I've a guy who knows his way around cars and is pretty handy.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
There is a set procedure to changing the oil on a powershift. I wouldn't be wanting anyone to touch mine who hasn't done one before.

@keithmac is our expert on the powershift. Hopefully he will pick this up and give you some more details.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,799 Posts
Yes, @keithmac can do his in 30 mins or less but us mere mortals and especially me let ford do it as I couldn’t find anyone local who would entertain it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi
How often should this service be done?
I contacted my local Ford garage and they said because my car only needed a engine service every 2 years the gearbox did not need a service for 8 years? yet I have read else where that the gearbox needs a service every 3 years.
I contacted Ford UK but they will not give me an answer unless I give them the following information.

Please can you confirm if you are a Key Worker?
Please could you confirm if you are the registered owner of the vehicle?
Please can you provide the vehicle registration and VIN/chassis number?
Please can you provide a copy of your V5 document for our records? (please provide this as either a Word or PDF document)
Current vehicle mileage?
Please provide your full postal address?
Could you please provide your preferred contact number?

I did not mind answering their request but I was not happy sending a copy of my V5 document and they did not seem to want to give me a definite reason why they needed that information.
The last email I received from them just said "that if I will not supply that information they will not be able to assist me any longer"

To me it seems a lot of messing about to get a answer to a simple question. What if I was thinking of buying the car and just wanted to know about the service, I would not be able to answer their questions then.

Is this normal for for Ford or am I being over suspicious.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The powershift gearbox needs to be serviced every 37,000 miles.
As usual the Ford dealer didn't know the correct information, but will be happy to fit a new gearbox for you when yours destroys itself, due to a missed oil change.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
First thing I would be asking Ford is where do they get their information from regarding the 8 years and have they got anything in writing to back it up. The topic has been well discussed on the forum regarding the powershift fitted to the diesel. The service recommendations are:

1 year Service Plan - Gearbox Service at 3 years or 37,500 miles
2 year Service Plan - Gearbox Service at 4 years or 36,000 miles

As the 2 year plan is 18,000 miles maximum in 2 years the gearbox service would reduce to 36,000 miles as to go over that you would be going over the recommended service plan for the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
First thing I would be asking Ford is where do they get their information from regarding the 8 years and have they got anything in writing to back it up. The topic has been well discussed on the forum regarding the powershift fitted to the diesel. The service recommendations are:

1 year Service Plan - Gearbox Service at 3 years or 37,500 miles
2 year Service Plan - Gearbox Service at 4 years or 36,000 miles

As the 2 year plan is 18,000 miles maximum in 2 years the gearbox service would reduce to 36,000 miles as to go over that you would be going over the recommended service plan for the car.
Many thanks for the info.
So am I correct in saying that because my cars recommended service is every 2 years then the gearbox will need servicing at 4 years or 36000 miles whichever comes first.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's fairly straightforward, you just need to follow the specified process for setting the oil level. If you can service a car then you can do it. Not as simple as a VW DCT but not too bad.

Bob

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,799 Posts
Many thanks for the info.
So am I correct in saying that because my cars recommended service is every 2 years then the gearbox will need servicing at 4 years or 36000 miles whichever comes first.
It is. Don’t mess about neither have it done. I let ford do mine then I knew it would be right.
Expensive but cheap compared to an expensive repair or replacement.

Welcome to the small but yet growing discerning Vignale club.
No elitism here, just the best. Lol

Diesel 💪

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,620 Posts
They are not bad to do at all, I prefer to do a quick 5 mile drive first to warm the gearbox up.

Main thing is to make sure car is level when doing the level check (you can do it with the wheel on).

Basically quick drive, drop engine undertray, remove the 2 drains (8mm allen key required), make sure you get right ones!.

Let all oil drain out, I measure what's come out to make sure it hasn't lost any.

New external filter on, prefilled with oil (I go from underneath but you can go in from the side if you move wheel well plastic out of the way)

Drain bolts in and tight (45nm), airbox off and 6l oil in the gearbox from the top, filler back on finger tight.

Airbox back on, start engine and run though all the gears while stationary, Volvo recommend 40c to 60c temp for oil level check, Ford don't give a temp. Shut engine off.

Open the oil level plug near n/s driveshaft and allow oil to drain then place measuring jug under level hole. Remove airbox and fill another 250ml oil, check level hole it should leak 250ml out again, if it's short put another 250ml through and repeat (basically you want to ensure the gearbox is full, 250ml in = 250ml out). xxx It will probably loose 0.5l when bung is opened so you will end up replacing that while you are doing the final level set xxx.

Once the level has been set, replace the plug and DO NOT remove it again!. If you take the bung out again you have to go through the final fill procedure again.

Put filler plug back in, airbox back, engine undertray back on, jobs a carrot as they say.

I've always used bang on 6l on a change (ie 6 litres came out and 6 litres ended up inside the gearbox).

Seen plenty of posts where garages have used 5l or 5.5l, or opened the level bung and NOT refilled from the afterwards. All these gearboxes will be underfilled to some extent.

Here's the Volvo video, they quote the wrong value for the filter housing torque though, just snug it up (its only glass reinforced plastic after all).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts