Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, anyone got any advice.
Few weeks ago couldnt start car, steering locked message retry. Traced to battery. Replaced it, erased any fault codes.
Now alot of time keep getting power steering malfunction message on start up, but apart from message everythings fine.
Read code stored, saying no communication to power train, it erases but obviously returns again. Dont think its voltage on start up...
Could this be a high resistence in power steering pump or is there a software update altering acceptable resistence tolerances from EHPAS pump?

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 2011 MK1 has suffered from spurious warning messages on several occasions and I too have replaced the battery (a couple of times now) improving the situation considerably, but occasionally still get the power steering malfunction message briefly on startup.

Fluctuations in the electrical system cause certain components to shut down in a controlled fashion temporarily to preserve power for more essential ones.

I have learned to live with it and am sure it is just a bit of of a blip on an ageing wiring setup with no real underlying problem with the actual components being reported as malfunctioning.

If you are really keen to get to the bottom of it I suggest you concentrate on the electrical communications system and of course please report back if you find a solution.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
And maybe look at the alternator. Interesting changing the battery (a couple of times?) improves the situation temporarily. This could suggest that the alternator bridge rectifier has a 1 or 2 phases out of 3 intermittent open circuit and your battery can 'fill in' when new like a large capacitor. As the battery ages its capacity reduces.

Would be nice to have a look at one of these 'failled' alternators to see what has actually failed.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
You shouldnt be suffering spurious messages though should you. When did they start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have had my mechanic look at it. He cant find anything wrong.
Clears the message and then doesn't show for weeks.
It will then pop up when starting the car for the first time of the day and then disappears straight away.

Very random and weird. We are just living with it at the moment as there is no solution we can see.

Let us know if you have any luck.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Log battery voltage during startups..

Just because the car starts doesn't mean the battery voltage is at an acceptable level for the rest of the systems.

What battery did you fit?.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Way back, somewhere in this forum, it was suggested that leaving the front wheels turned when parking up encouraged the liklihood of Power Steering Malfunction warning - not sure of the science but something you could try out

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you have access to FORScan it can read the parameters at time of error (including battery voltage) on the MK2, possibly same for the Mk1?.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You shouldnt be suffering spurious messages though should you. When did they start?
After the battery failed and couldnt start car. Steering locked retry message. Had to jump start it. Tested the battery it failed test so replaced it . Ever since that yhis steering malfunction message intermittantly appears on start up sfter left for a while

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way back, somewhere in this forum, it was suggested that leaving the front wheels turned when parking up encouraged the liklihood of Power Steering Malfunction warning - not sure of the science but something you could try out
Its not that does it in any position, think its a voltage fault, earth fault on startup or a high resistance from the power steering pump itself.
Need to do volt drop test on starter, test alt output, check engine earths are good and EHPS connectors are good and clean. Hopefully 1 of them things. But as im a mechanic for North West Ambulance Service I aint got the tie yet to do it lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts