Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a 2017 KUGA titanium 2.0 diesel auto awd which has had the dreaded flat battery a few times!! After reading some of the threads on here I’ve unpaired my phone and then drove from Coventry to Leicester and back then rugby in the afternoon all while turning my display off and lights off instead of auto. Then this morning it’s flat again!! Is it safe to disconnect the battery for a drain test?? Or will this throw up other issues?

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Why not just have your battery checked out. Battery failures on 4 year old cars is not uncommon.

Reactions: Gregs24

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just have your battery checked out. Battery failures on 4 year old cars is not uncommon.
Thanks for replying, had it checked at Halfords said it was a good battery but needed a run so did that...battery was about 75% charged when tested

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,438 Posts
Hi @Ramseyles, welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.......Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
Ford kuga titaniummk2 2ltr 180 66 reg
8 Posts
Do you leave Bluetooth on, I had the same problem and read somewhere on here that the Bluetooth would still be seeking whilst engine off, I changed by battery and physically turn Bluetooth off when leaving car and have had no problems since, just a thought 😎

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts
The best way is to use a DC clamp-on multimeter, which you can clamp onto the neg lead off the battery and see what current draw is actually running at... I bought one for analysing solar panel stuff on the boat. Worth it's weight in gold! Mine was less than the cost of a new battery... Beware that it must be DC clamp on, some of them are AC only...

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Bluetooth turns off when you open the car door. If its staying on then there is a fault with the car.

Nine times out of ten if the battery is flat in a morning it's not holding charge and requires a new one.

You can do a simple voltage drop test shown here. The old way on a lead acid battery would be a different kind of drop test where you put the battery under load but this isn't really recommended on EFB/AGM batteries as it may give a false result.

Voltage Drop Test - Bing video

That test is a bit difficult to do on the Kuga as you can't get at the negative terminal easily. If this was my car I would charge the battery fully, take a reading, disconnect it from the car and then take a voltage reading next morning. You may lose any saved navigation destinations and will need to repair your phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you leave Bluetooth on, I had the same problem and read somewhere on here that the Bluetooth would still be seeking whilst engine off, I changed by battery and physically turn Bluetooth off when leaving car and have had no problems since, just a thought 😎
Hi unpaired phone but I’ll look to took off Bluetooth and see ...thanks for the tip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bluetooth turns off when you open the car door. If its staying on then there is a fault with the car.

Nine times out of ten if the battery is flat in a morning it's not holding charge and requires a new one.

You can do a simple voltage drop test shown here. The old way on a lead acid battery would be a different kind of drop test where you put the battery under load but this isn't really recommended on EFB/AGM batteries as it may give a false result.

Voltage Drop Test - Bing video

That test is a bit difficult to do on the Kuga as you can't get at the negative terminal easily. If this was my car I would charge the battery fully, take a reading, disconnect it from the car and then take a voltage reading next morning. You may lose any saved navigation destinations and will need to repair your phone.
Thanks will try that

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
Thanks will try that
Not wanting to disrespect Halfords but I used to get my batteries checked by both my works electrician and ATS who used the same piece of kit that puts a drop test on the battery. It will tell if it has a cell down but not sure if they were ever designed to work on an EFB or AGM battery.

You can do an easy bluetooth check by unpairing your phone, removing sync in bluetooth settings on your phone and then see if you can connect to the car with it locked. You have to remove it from your phone because it will remember the network. My phone still shows devices I no longer have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not wanting to disrespect Halfords but I used to get my batteries checked by both my works electrician and ATS who used the same piece of kit that puts a drop test on the battery. It will tell if it has a cell down but not sure if they were ever designed to work on an EFB or AGM battery.

You can do an easy bluetooth check by unpairing your phone, removing sync in bluetooth settings on your phone and then see if you can connect to the car with it locked. You have to remove it from your phone because it will remember the network. My phone still shows devices I no longer have.
Will try that tomorrow for now Bluetooth and WiFi turned off on the screen

·
Super Moderator
870 Posts

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Yes I think it is and even comparing it to my Fluke 381 (which only comes out of its padded case on special occasions when I need a remote display), the TENMA does the same for a heck of a lot less money and its pretty accurate too in voltage, current and resistance. I've had one in the car toolkit for about 5 years. Big enough to even show you the starting current of the engine. Comes in a neat case and probes (with removable probe tips).

Well worth it if your wanting some accurate measuring all in one.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,445 Posts
I thought the Bluetooth issue was only on the Mk1 Kuga?.

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
I think there were some issues on some of the early MK2 running sync 1. The sync 1 Bluetooth module is very similar to the one used on the MK1. Looks identical on a picture. I would bet my Chinese takeaway on a Friday that it's a battery fault.

Reactions: keithmac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all I have a 2017 KUGA titanium 2.0 diesel auto awd which has had the dreaded flat battery a few times!! After reading some of the threads on here I’ve unpaired my phone and then drove from Coventry to Leicester and back then rugby in the afternoon all while turning my display off and lights off instead of auto. Then this morning it’s flat again!! Is it safe to disconnect the battery for a drain test?? Or will this throw up other issues?
H
Hi all replaced my battery today and the auto stop start is now working which says to me that although Halfords gave it a clean bill of health, it never actually got charged up enough even though I have had many distance drives since buying it. Will let you all know how it goes 🤞

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,938 Posts
My Chinese takeaway is safe lol.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts