Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a new Kuga Zetec AWD with 2000 miles on the clock. It's a great car (if you can live the the back seat squeak) but it has developed an intermittent fault with the power button. Approximately 1 in every 8 times I try to start the car, there is no response. The car has been checked by the dealer who says the yaw sensor needs replacing.

Does anyone know where the yaw sensor is located? And how could that cause the power button to stop working? It's quite scary - the one time I stalled was at a busy junction and the button decided to stop working.

Derek

Kuga Zetec Vision AWD, appearance pack

·
Registered
418 Posts
the squeak from the back seats can be fixed by silicon spray/wd40 on the seat catches - lift the seat forward and you will see a hoop that the upright from the seat fits into.

took ages to solve this one last year, no squeak since...

sometimes on mine I press the button and the ignition comes on but it doesn't start the engine, just a second press and it fires.

hope you get it resolved.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I always press the power button without the clutch in and wait for the glow plug light to go out before firing up.It's just a habit having always owned diesel engined cars. The problem seems more common when I have stopped the car, switched off then tried to restart a few minutes later e.g. after re-fueling.

Derek

·
Registered
156 Posts
hello Derek
Now that you mention it I may have a similar start button fault.

It is a bit different in that when starting normally everything is ok. But on the (several times) I have stalled it, usually trying to take off in 2nd after a junction or traffic lights. I quickly depress the clutch and press the button (2 or 3 times) and NOTHING happens. I then take my time and select neutral, handbrake on and clutch in I try again and it works fine.

I always depress the clutch to start, its my first diesel, because the handbook says somewhere - If the weather is cold when you first press the starter the engine won't turn until the heaters have done their job.

But then old habits die hard - I still select 6th when I want to reverse.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi All,
My Kuga suffers with the same problem! She always seems to do it when she's been in the garage overnight! Making me think there may be a battery problem. Anyway she's going to the garage on Monday evening to be kept overnight, I bet she will start first time too!

I do the same as you derek, press the button then depress the clutch that's when the problem shows itself, completely dead. I end up sitting there stabbing at the button, then it just fires up!!! I hope the garage finds the problem it's driving me crazy,especially when I'm late for work!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hello. On a couple of occaisions the button has been unresponsive. I found if i treated it as follows 1: press button without clutch ( same as key ignition position). 2: press clutch and start button, then its fine. On a test drive i was told just clutch and button, but this isnt how my handbook reads. BK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

The yaw sensor has been replacedand anew update applied to theECU.Hopefully that will sort things out. They certainly checked the battery in my car, but no problem. I hope you get it resolved because it certainly spoils what is otherwise an excellentcar.

Derek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the sensor replacement and ECU update have made no difference....2 times today the power button did not respond. Back to the dealer when I have time.

Derek

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello,

Good news - back on to the computer and a fault was found with the steering angle sensor. This was replaced and I havenow had 2 dayswithout any problem. I noticed a few other posts about this sensor, it seems to cause different issues.

Derek

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi,
My Kuga as 'played up' like this several times now. She's been to have the problem looked at but as usual the problem didn't show up in the garage. She's going in to the garage again on the 1st for 2 days. I am using the actual key at the moment, this goes in the ignition slot but you don't turn it, you just press the stop button as usual, just hope they find the problem soon......it's intermittent and it's driving me nuts!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts