Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm currently in the (lengthy) process of deciding between Kuga or S-Max and the research is driving me nuts. Mainly lots of horror stories in the S-Max camp of heavy tyre wear amongst other issuesbut i'm struggling for tyre infoon the Kuga.Sizewise I can find 235/55/17's at anything from £70 to £200+ I'm just not sure which type of tyre I should be specifying, 4x4, SUV, normal.....There seem to be Falkens at £70, Hankooks at £76, Kumho at £112 and then Conti 4x4s at £162
but talk on here of £260 a corner!!

Any advice here would be much appreciated andalso information on the wear rate as well as I can only find one thread on here discussing the wear factor. We currently average about 15k a year I think.

We took Archers fully loaded demo out the other day and loved it.The only slight niggle is the boot space compared to our current Accord and also the S-Max. The Kuga looks the part, with the Code Red remap really went too, I love it. Wifey likes the look, the drive etc. but is concerned about space, especially as we head off on a Europe road trip for a couple of weeks. Worse case it's a roof bars and abox but that's more expense we'd don't really want to incur right now.

One suggestion i've read for space, is to specify the DDS and then after the first set of tyres go, fit runflats and ditch the space saver and gubbins. I can't seem to find runflats in the Kuga size though!

Ok, long first post, hopefully i'll be here with more.If not, I might have to register on the S-Max forum.

Cheers

Arch

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi. For me, the Kuga wins hands-down for styling, but then I would say that
I agree about the boot, but it's better than the S-Type I've just come out of and certainly easier to get everything in and out of.
I did have the S-Type remapped, but first inmpressions are that I don't need it on the Kuga. Initial take-off is slow, but that's mainly the gearing. Once it's rolling,I find itsurprisingly punchy.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi Arch,

Welcome to the forum. I came from a new-shape Fiesta so to me the Kuga is absolutely huge in every department.

Totally agree with bazandkim about the slow move off from 1st gear, the 1st and 2nd gears are very close together, but I suppose because it's a big car it needs that to get moving, sorry Im whaffling! Anyway Ive had my Kuga three weeks now and I've still got a big smile on my face.

Ive been out side to check the tyres on mine and they are Conti 4x4, 235/55/17s, as for the price the dealer told me they should be around £100 per tyre. The run-flats I don't know anything about those other than they are in the options list not sure if they can be ordered 'after the sale' so to speak but it may be worth asking the dealer.

Sorry I cant help you with your decision over which car to buy as I haven't driven/owned a S-Max only a C-Max, as for the Kuga I love it!

Good Luck.

KC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers, epsecially KugaCat for going and checking your tyres however, it would now appear to be all in vain.

Had a rather heated discussion with wifey (after putting god knows how much research time in over these cars)which has ended, let's say, with no further discussion on getting a new car.
I'd like to sayI don't care, as it wasn't going to be my car anyway, but I'm actually quite miffed about the whole thing.

If things change, I'll be back, but for now enjoy your Kugas everyone.My wife can stick with her Accord estate and I'll go and enjoy my 9 year oldDC2

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe you should consider trading the wife in for a newer model with a bit more go? (Joke)?

Anything would be better than missing out on owning a Kuga?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi Arch,
Don't abandon us yet! Keep in touch and lets us know what happens.

I know this may not help but I had to fight my other-half to change my car,he's not great on changing anything unless it's completely deadand near to the scrap yard!!

Maybe you could get your wife to have a look at this forum, she may change her mind.

Best Wishes

KC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that went pear shaped didn't it? Got made redundant last month. Cars staying as they are for the forseeable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you drive a normal Kuga Arch before the remapped code red version. I just wanted to know if it made a massive difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts