Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if other areas in the UK (and abroad) have an issue with pot holes and the council's lack of interest in repairing them. This didn't seem to be an issue years ago but here in Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, there seems to be a total lack of interest from our councils in repairing them, yet they reckon they have a policy of fixing them within 72 hours.

I am just going to put that to the test.

Today I got a phone call from my son who had hit a pot hole in his fiesta ST shredding the tyre. Dad to the rescue once again even though he has breakdown insurance. I was only 10 minutes away and could see the scalextric style tyre was blown. The Kuga would have been fine due to the high side wall so perhaps not such a good idea to go to bigger wheels and reduce the sidewall height which is perhaps why pot holes didn't seem to be a problem years ago. He told me to be extremely careful when coming out to him and not only did I nearly hit the same pot hole but also an exposed sink where the road had broken around it. I guess they are called sinks because no matter what our councils do they "sink" hence the name. This is a road I never go down as my car is usually on auto driving where pot holes are concerned.

The pot hole he hit was virtually invisible and was possibly a good 3" deep and about 12" long.

One thing that dawned on me today as I was jacking his car up was I remembered saying to him when he bought this car new insisting it comes with a spare wheel kit which was put to the test today. Hopefully all cars now come with this and I don't know who the idiot / idiots were who decided to take away the spare wheel from a car but they should never have been allowed anywhere near car designs and specifications. Whilst some people may not know how to change a wheel we all know someone who can and today would have meant his car would have been left in an area on a jack where I would not wish to leave my car. All the puncture repair kit does is pass on yet another unnecessary cost to the consumer. And we thought bad of the space saver.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Less and less cars are being supplied with spare wheels, latest trick is to put the AdBlue tanks where the spare wheel was on some makes.

I would never trust a bottle of gunge and a compressor, especially when towing.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car designers are foo king idiots. What happens when you get a blow out when tyre places are closed or you are in the middle of nowhere with no mobile phone signal. Not everybody has breakdown insurance and what if you travel with little cash.

Seriously these people who came up with the idea of not putting a spare wheel in the car should be designing bicycles and not cars.

It took me just 10 minutes to get my son mobile again after I got to him and most of that time was taken up trying to figure out how the wheel brace was detached from the jack and where to put the jack as it didn't seem to fit the car.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Its all down to weight, but its a bit like not carrying passengers then isnt it, for fear of increasing fuel consumption. Pleased the Kuga came with at least the Space Saver. Do all supposed SUV types come with a spare?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Disco Sport did not have a spare due to the extra two seats in the boot and the exhaust layout and it was supposed to be a proper off roader. I had a bolt in a tyre late at night and had to use the gunk to repair it. The tyre fitter said he could have repaired it, but would not as I had used the gunk so had to pay 340.00 for a new tyre on a seven month old motor. I purchased a space saver and jack which laid in the boot, but if I used the 7 seats had to leave it at home. Swore I would never buy another car without a spare.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Now that's one vehicle where I would expect a spare. We have experience of no spare with two Fiesta Titaniums in the family, both have had a call out to replace the tyre one of them twice.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Its all down to weight, but its a bit like not carrying passengers then isnt it, for fear of increasing fuel consumption. Pleased the Kuga came with at least the Space Saver. Do all supposed SUV types come with a spare?

No, no GM vehicle comes with a spare. Was sweating all the time that we were driving in Europe as the 'skinny' spare we ordered never came into stock at the dealer before we left on our trip.
I vowed never to do that again.

Brother-in-law bought his wife a year old Mercedes which, two weeks into her ownership, had the sidewall ripped out by a lump of discarded farm machinery poking out of a drain in the back end of nowhere in rural Berkshire. AA took two hours to locate her and transport the car as the locking wheel nut was not in the vehicle and their 'fit all' remover did not fit.

Brother-in-law went ballistic with the dealer as he had paid for a skinny spare.

The dealer apologised profusely, sent a huge bouquet and offered the next three services for free!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just crazy isn't it. No spare wheel. First I came across it was in 2012 when the wife bought an 09 plate Fiesta. Luckily I had a Mk6 fiesta spare wheel which went in the boot along with a jack and a brace. 12 plate Fiesta didn't have one either so swapped the wheel over on part ex and then gained a compressor which isn't a bad one. That's in my kuga boot. Next was a Mokka which comes with a spare and obviously Kuga does too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's enough to put me off buying one. The companies who make that gunk stuff must be giving large gifts to the car designers to promote their producst. I would have thought technology would have moved on by now and we wouldn't get issues with punctures. Looks like the hover car is still a long way off.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
And can you remember those days when Finilec came out, promoting an instant repair for punctures and the tyre manufacturers telling its outlets that any tyres that had been repaired with the temporary repair system was not to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was at Kwik Fit today (bloody huge nail through the tyre) and was talking to the manager about, among other things, tyre-goo.

They cannot repair tyres that have been gooed and it often knackers the TPMS valve as well. Another reason to insist on a 'proper' spare.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The best thing to use for a puncture I have found is called a 'Crafty Plugger' recommended to me by a work colleague who has been using one for years on his motorbike. It's a self-fix puncture repair kit and already had to fit one recently on my rear tyre after finding a nail in it after only 2000 miles! I had a few on my previous car that lasted years!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The best thing to use for a puncture I have found is called a 'Crafty Plugger' recommended to me by a work colleague who has been using one for years on his motorbike. It's a self-fix puncture repair kit and already had to fit one recently on my rear tyre after finding a nail in it after only 2000 miles! I had a few on my previous car that lasted years!
I tried one of those on my lawn mower. It didn't work unfortunately. It was only a cheat Sealey one so maybe you get what you pay for. Not something I would use on a motorbike unless it was just to get home with.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And can you remember those days when Finilec came out, promoting an instant repair for punctures and the tyre manufacturers telling its outlets that any tyres that had been repaired with the temporary repair system was not to be repaired.
I do remember that. Perhaps a conflict of interest. Perhaps if the tyre manufacturers had come up with the concept then the story may be different. I put this stuff in my ride on lawnmower and when I eventually come to change the tyre it was easy enough to clean up. TPMS could be an issue though.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
I've not used one on the Kuga but I know my local tyre guy's are apparently happy to repair a temporary gunk repair.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have heard of a small local independent tyre fitting shop that will repair tyres that have had gunk in them, but they charge quite a bit to clean them first, but you do need a new TPMS valve as they are ruined.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Yes they clean the stuff out as it eventually comes loose and you end up with a a pile that sticks in one place due to centrifuge and you have an imbalanced wheel. My local have a brush device that they stick in a drill and wizz it round the inside of the tyre. Of course TPMS sensor would probably have to be replaced if fitted.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the gunk not only costs you more for a repair (if possible) as well as a new pressure monitor. Hmmm, I think the boys who thought of this need to go back to the clever school from which they received their higher education and learn a few things. Are we not supposed to be cutting back on unnecessary wastage be more "green" in our approach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts