Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hello - picked up a Sea Grey Titanium with convenience pack yesterday (gotta have those sensors and folding mirrors fortescos car park!)- apart from the slightly irritating reflection of the upper dashboard (might be because it's a gloomy day) I'm over the moon with the Kuga - just gave back an X-Trail to Nissan that was worthless and had burned a turbo and intercooler in less than 3 years. Biy was glad to see that trundle off down the road in the end!

I bought a TomTom 730 for the Kuga (before I got the car - no patience) as wasn't going to pay silly money for a Nav system again, and just wondering if anyone else has fitted a portable Sat Nav to their Kuga yet? The screen angle seems to put it quite a long way out of reach, and I'm also suspicious that the heated front screen might cause some reception issues.

Any other fitting points / methods anyone can suggest?!

Cheers.

Chris.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use my HTC Tytn II phone with Tom Tom on it (its a windows mobile phone) and I don't have any problems with GPS reception.

BTW - i use a windscreen mount which I have fitted to right hand side of the dash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, I have a Tom Tom 930T and the GPS reception is fine. The RDS Traffic reception was patch so I am burning a hole in my Mobile bill using the GPRS based service. Went up to Ladybank in Fife Scotland from Peterborough over the Bank Holiday and the Tom Tom behaved perfectly.

I admit that to screen mount the Tom Tom you need long arms to operate it but the 930 came with a Bluetooth Remote Control so I tend to use that (even though at 6'2" my arms are long enough).

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Garmin nuvi 360on a window mount and that works fine. No problem with getting to the controls.

Does anyone else have Garmin? Seems most of you have Tom Tom but I dont find it as user friendly................ Comments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone - I'll stick it to the window and see how I get on then - I'm 6'4" so maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Titanium, I had a Garmin NUVI but although not as easy to drive as the Tom Tom, the Tom Tom just had the edge on features (GPRS Traffic, Max Speed Alarms to help with Caravan Towing).

Now I have got use to the Tom Tom, I am very happy with it and am awaiting the Traffic HD to be released in the UK.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Chris.

I have the TomTom 530,

Great unit, best place I found was on the right hand side fitted using standard window mount just touching the dash (if not using traffic, slightly higher if I am). I set the unit to turn off the display at a set speed, this way I save on power specially on long motorway trips so I don't plug in charger. But there are so many different options out there.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Have a look on there if you get really stuck.

Hope this helps

dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Dave

I have set it up using standard windscreen mount in the same sort of placeand it's OK there actually apart from the distance from the power socket to the unit - I'm going to try an air vent mount on the centre vents and see how that goes. I'm left handed so I might find it easier to operate there as well.

I have got the traffic version but haven't tried that feature yet. It's excellent at synching with the mobile also - the reading out of text messages is hilarious - I'm afraid to say that despite being a 34 year old father of 2, the temptation to text myself swear words got the better of me!

Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea nice one Chris.
Its a shame these units will not connect via Bluetooth to the sound system. Still the FM is ok i guess

I've been looking to see if there is a firmware update to be had.

dave

·
Registered
110 Posts
In case anyone is looking for a dashboard mount for the Kuga, after extensive research on the web I found purpose made brackets that clip into the dashboard, don't require any drilling, can be removed, but are effectively fixtures and look the part.

www.brodit.se make fixings for both centre and right mount - I'll be installing my satnav on a right mount tomorrow!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Raptor, I got the 603726 Proclip Right Mount and a separate bracket for my Snooper Syrius direct from Snooper UK as Brodit do not make a bracket for the Syrius themselves.

I fitted it this morning and am very pleased with it - simple to instal but looks factory fitted rather than stuck on if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try ebay . I got sick of the tomtom dropping off the window screen so I tried ebay . Type in model of sat nav then put vent mount next to it - they cost between£6 to £11 .I put mine on thel h vent in middle of dash . When you park up , you take the satnav and clipoff together ! .I've bought several of these -one for my wife ( not a swap haha ! ) - diiff sat nav and one for my van plus bought 2 others foir work mates whenthey saw how I mounted mine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts