Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
A friend of mine is exactly in the same situation of Dave_C, because he is tentatively looking at FHEV. I don't know if I should recommend him this, since there's not that much data around it. In one review I read that basically the Electric engine would only work for low speeds, like parking, and anything more would be the petrol engine. I'm still looking at reviews, but if anyone with FHEV would give their feedback, I'd highly appreciate it
As I can see, my FHEV is using electric engine mostly in city, I think Ford states that it is used up to 138 km/h approx. So I saw using it on highway and motorway when descending or on flat road (not so much going uphill). You can see it on dashboard, when the engine control is not white, but gets grey. In some long term test I saw, they went almost 50 % on electricity, with average consumption 5,7l/100 km.

·
Registered
2020, Kuga PHEV, ST Line X.
74 Posts
I would go with simple rule:
Can you charge your car on almost daily bases and driving mostly city and sometimes longer journeys? Go PHEV
You dont have charging option and all other remains? Go FHEV
Are you driving mostly highways or longer trips? Go for Diesel.
And last but not leat - your personal preference 😉.

Also transmition type and Awd vs Fwd option can make decision more clear. No Awd for PHEV and only CVT gearbox for hybrids.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had my PHEV two months now. Driving mostly in electric (eco or normal). Really not sure how many miles I would get out of a full tank as for me the petrol engine is more of a just in case thing. Average now showing around the 200mpg. On an unplanned trip where I only used the petrol engine- 60mpg- which I thought was really good comparing to what i am used to 🙂 same journey last week on Auto EV- 235mpg!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had my PHEV two months now. Driving mostly in electric (eco or normal). Really not sure how many miles I would get out of a full tank as for me the petrol engine is more of a just in case thing. Average now showing around the 200mpg. On an unplanned trip where I only used the petrol engine- 60mpg- which I thought was really good comparing to what i am used to 🙂 same journey last week on Auto EV- 235mpg!!
Correct me if am wrong but when you say used petrol engine only surly you would have had some electric help but still excellent mpg

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
37 Posts
Interesting thread. Had my PHEV just over 2 weeks.
Filled the tank when I collected it.
So far have done a mixture of short (wholey electric) and longer (some 70m round trips and one 120m round trip) trips.

Just 10 miles short of 600 miles travelled and have 85 miles of petrol left.

Mixture of charging, some short local journeys meant charge after 2 or 3 days other times every day.

Not bad for a close to 2 ton vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Correct me if am wrong but when you say used petrol engine only surly you would have had some electric help but still excellent mpg
Sorry- maybe I didnt explain properly. The "unplanned" trip was a trip that i have done after a whole of driving in electric, which completely drain the battery. The trip was only dual carriageway, at around 70mph. No regeneration- hence I knew it was only petrol engine that was used, which was confirmed by the trip computer at the end.

I seem to run out of charge very quickly lately, cOld weather doesnt help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry- maybe I didnt explain properly. The "unplanned" trip was a trip that i have done after a whole of driving in electric, which completely drain the battery. The trip was only dual carriageway, at around 70mph. No regeneration- hence I knew it was only petrol engine that was used, which was confirmed by the trip computer at the end.

Any lifting of throttle or downhill will generate some charge. Just back from a 62 mile (each way) trip. Return trip obviously without any plugged in charge. Breakdown shows 28.6 elec miles and 49.6 mpg.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Unless you have not arrived yet, or arrived at your destination at 70mph, there will have been some regeneration when you slowed down! When you stop the car look at the dash - it will tell you the breakdown of electric and total miles for the journey.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless you have not arrived yet, or arrived at your destination at 70mph, there will have been some regeneration when you slowed down! When you stop the car look at the dash - it will tell you the breakdown of electric and total miles for the journey.
Correct, break down can also be seen in trip history in the app.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Right, ok guys. I have clearly not worded properly what I was trying to say- apologies- english is not my first language. I am aware that everytime you brake etc there is regeneration. Scrap my posts!🙈

·
Registered
37 Posts
Right, ok guys. I have clearly not worded properly what I was trying to say- apologies- english is not my first language. I am aware that everytime you brake etc there is regeneration. Scrap my posts!🙈
No problem. Something I noticed yesterday (maybe I should have seen before in my 4 weeks if ownership) that the indication of power usage, that is blue for battery and white for ICE, shows a split of blue/white when using battery to assist the ICE.

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
167 Posts
No problem. Something I noticed yesterday (maybe I should have seen before in my 4 weeks if ownership) that the indication of power usage, that is blue for battery and white for ICE, shows a split of blue/white when using battery to assist the ICE.

Put your foot down, you can clearly see it then :D

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,283 Posts
I read people saying it’s about £2 to charge.

Are you paying separately for it or what happens if you are on a fixed rate deal with someone like EON? Wouldn’t be just part of the supply package? Just wondered.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Octopus energy for me on the off peak rate for me 5p a kw/h x 14 = 70p for a charge

·
Registered
677 Posts
Isn’t the FHEV battery assisted set off only and the like, whereas the PHEV is charge/self charge.
It will run pure electric in the FHEV when it can, around town, downhill, braking etc. You could get as much as 25% electric miles on a FHEV (when you add up all the small bits of electric only running), and the car gives you a summary after every journey if you want.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts