Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
A friend of mine is exactly in the same situation of Dave_C, because he is tentatively looking at FHEV. I don't know if I should recommend him this, since there's not that much data around it. In one review I read that basically the Electric engine would only work for low speeds, like parking, and anything more would be the petrol engine. I'm still looking at reviews, but if anyone with FHEV would give their feedback, I'd highly appreciate it
The FHEV only has a small battery so will only do relatively short distances on pure electric. As mentioned before if you can plug a PHEV in then it will quickly repay the difference

·
Registered
2021 Black ST-Line FHEV (70 plate) SYNC 3.4
63 Posts
A friend of mine is exactly in the same situation of Dave_C, because he is tentatively looking at FHEV. I don't know if I should recommend him this, since there's not that much data around it. In one review I read that basically the Electric engine would only work for low speeds, like parking, and anything more would be the petrol engine. I'm still looking at reviews, but if anyone with FHEV would give their feedback, I'd highly appreciate it
I have an FHEV, so I can answer any specific questions you/your friend have. On your points above, you are correct in that it has a smaller battery and because of this it dips in and out of electric as needed, managed by the onboard software. Electric running does work at high speed though, sometimes even when I’m cruising at motorway speeds where the engine isn’t particularly being taxed.

I love the FHEV model and chose FHEV over PHEV as I have nowhere really to plug in at home and I needed to order during a time when the PHEV recalls were still going on and so it wasn’t available in time.

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
220 Posts
Whole journey in eco mode or normal. From full tank and full battery to 40 miles of range left i had clocked 445 mile.
I once had a 1.6 Diesel that did 450 miles on a full tank with mostly town driving. Every petrol car I had since never did more than 270miles.
To get 445miles in a petrol car, I'd be over the moon...!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I know, but this friend has no socket neither at work, neither at home. At home he lives in a new block, but he did not pay for a parking spot. The advice from the sales person was to go with FHEV if he does not have a recharge place in at least one of these locations. I am unsure if I should tell him to basically go and recharge at supermarket...

·
Registered
ST line X PHEV Magnetic
34 Posts
Yeah, I know, but this friend has no socket neither at work, neither at home. At home he lives in a new block, but he did not pay for a parking spot. The advice from the sales person was to go with FHEV if he does not have a recharge place in at least one of these locations. I am unsure if I should tell him to basically go and recharge at supermarket...
To charge the phev at a supermarket would take around 3 hours mind.

·
Registered
ST line X PHEV Magnetic
34 Posts
I once had a 1.6 Diesel that did 450 miles on a full tank with mostly town driving. Every petrol car I had since never did more than 270miles.
To get 445miles in a petrol car, I'd be over the moon...!!
I’m finding that is doable in mind. May not be the case in the winter when the batteries are cold but my results were early May on a long motorway trip from the north east to the midlands

·
Registered
2019, 1.5 ST-Line Edition, Black
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have an FHEV, so I can answer any specific questions you/your friend have. On your points above, you are correct in that it has a smaller battery and because of this it dips in and out of electric as needed, managed by the onboard software. Electric running does work at high speed though, sometimes even when I’m cruising at motorway speeds where the engine isn’t particularly being taxed.

I love the FHEV model and chose FHEV over PHEV as I have nowhere really to plug in at home and I needed to order during a time when the PHEV recalls were still going on and so it wasn’t available in time.
I originally wanted a PHEV and had a test drive scheduled before they got pulled with the battery issues, only thought about the FHEV as the discounts are bigger.

The MPG of my 1.5 petrol Mk 2 is pants around town , only getting 25-30 MPG but 40 on a motorway run and wanted to change to something more economical.

The FHEV is all about giving a better MPG to a petrol engine.

What did you have before the FHEV?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to swap my Mk2 with a Mk3 , question is should I go for Phev or Fhev ?

Phev is 3K more expensive but better MPG

Any views would be gratefully received :) , keen to understand some real world MPG, for around town and motorway runs.

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave
I’ve had my Phev for 2 months now, I do a regular once-a-week return trip of approximately just over 100 miles and most of the rest locally and been getting 70mpg overall. I got a great deal swapping my 2014 Kuga in using Carwow and specifically:
Charles Minors
Sales Executive
Hodson Ford
Wolverhampton Road
Penkridge
ST19 5NS

TEL 01785 712244
MOB 07972143787
There was a 7 month wait due to production problems but Charlie honoured the trade in price even though we’d gone through two reg changes. It was a long drive from Folkestone to Penkridge but absolutely worth the effort and really pleased with the car.
hope that helps.
Vivien

·
Registered
2021 Black ST-Line FHEV (70 plate) SYNC 3.4
63 Posts
I originally wanted a PHEV and had a test drive scheduled before they got pulled with the battery issues, only thought about the FHEV as the discounts are bigger.

The MPG of my 1.5 petrol Mk 2 is pants around town , only getting 25-30 MPG but 40 on a motorway run and wanted to change to something more economical.

The FHEV is all about giving a better MPG to a petrol engine.

What did you have before the FHEV?
I had a 2018 Focus before (old shape). Not really sure about the fuel economy around town, though I could get from London to Devon and back on a tank if I drove sensibly.
A very short journey I know, but this has been my highest MPG in the Kuga so far:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had a 2018 Focus before (old shape). Not really sure about the fuel economy around town, though I could get from London to Devon and back on a tank if I drove sensibly.
A very short journey I know, but this has been my highest MPG in the Kuga so far:
View attachment 7152
Just shows even the FHEV runs on electric quite a bit

We are just over 300mpg at the moment over about 350 miles in our PHEV ;)

·
Registered
ST line X PHEV Magnetic
34 Posts
thanks for sharing that information, for a matter of interest were you driving in normal or different ?

how many miles do you get to a tank full ? Thanks
Sorry for late response.
On a full tank of fuel and a full battery I’m getting just shy of 500 mile. Lots of motorway driving. This week trip was 450 mile and managed to get 180 mile on ev making the most of regen.

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
220 Posts
Sorry for late response.
On a full tank of fuel and a full battery I’m getting just shy of 500 mile. Lots of motorway driving. This week trip was 450 mile and managed to get 180 mile on ev making the most of regen.
Thanks for the reply, makes more sense to me as that's how I judge my driving range.
And your car, is it AWD or FWD?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts