Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Can you plug a PHEV in anywhere ? If you can then the savings with the PHEV (including RFL savings) will pay for the difference pretty quickly. If you do lots of short journeys and can charge up so they are mostly electric there are huge savings to make.

A PHEV that isn't plugged in will return very similar mpg as the FHEV - the only real difference is the battery size and added weight.

·
Registered
761 Posts
had my Kuga STline X for a month now,most of my trips locally have been electric. Not done much petrol driving as yet, costs about £2 to charge up so good savings to be made.
Even better if you have solar PV's and can charge for free !

·
Registered
761 Posts
A friend of mine is exactly in the same situation of Dave_C, because he is tentatively looking at FHEV. I don't know if I should recommend him this, since there's not that much data around it. In one review I read that basically the Electric engine would only work for low speeds, like parking, and anything more would be the petrol engine. I'm still looking at reviews, but if anyone with FHEV would give their feedback, I'd highly appreciate it
The FHEV only has a small battery so will only do relatively short distances on pure electric. As mentioned before if you can plug a PHEV in then it will quickly repay the difference

·
Registered
761 Posts
I once had a 1.6 Diesel that did 450 miles on a full tank with mostly town driving. Every petrol car I had since never did more than 270miles.
To get 445miles in a petrol car, I'd be over the moon...!!
But it isn't a petrol car - it's a hybrid !

·
Registered
761 Posts
I had a 2018 Focus before (old shape). Not really sure about the fuel economy around town, though I could get from London to Devon and back on a tank if I drove sensibly.
A very short journey I know, but this has been my highest MPG in the Kuga so far:
View attachment 7152
Just shows even the FHEV runs on electric quite a bit

We are just over 300mpg at the moment over about 350 miles in our PHEV ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sorry- maybe I didnt explain properly. The "unplanned" trip was a trip that i have done after a whole of driving in electric, which completely drain the battery. The trip was only dual carriageway, at around 70mph. No regeneration- hence I knew it was only petrol engine that was used, which was confirmed by the trip computer at the end.

I seem to run out of charge very quickly lately, cOld weather doesnt help!
Unless you have not arrived yet, or arrived at your destination at 70mph, there will have been some regeneration when you slowed down! When you stop the car look at the dash - it will tell you the breakdown of electric and total miles for the journey.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Isn’t the FHEV battery assisted set off only and the like, whereas the PHEV is charge/self charge.
It will run pure electric in the FHEV when it can, around town, downhill, braking etc. You could get as much as 25% electric miles on a FHEV (when you add up all the small bits of electric only running), and the car gives you a summary after every journey if you want.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I read people saying it’s about £2 to charge.

Are you paying separately for it or what happens if you are on a fixed rate deal with someone like EON? Wouldn’t be just part of the supply package? Just wondered.
About 12.3 x your p/kWh tariff. Fixed rate deal is only on the supply price per kWh, if you use more you pay more. Charging point comes after the meter with the rest of the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts