Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just coming up to three weeks of ownership and so far so good.

Have been using electric range a lot but yesterday had to do a 120 mile round trip with no battery charge at start, well 2% so not really significant.

Journey was about 75% motorway, cruising at 70mph, and rest on mixture of A roads.

Journey out 54mpg and return 50 mpg. Estimated electric miles on both journeys was about 40%.

Not bad economy for an almost 2 ton vehicle.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
That’s very good. Especially when you had only 2% charge but yet during the journey you used 40% electric and the mpg is 👍

·
Registered
68 Posts
Currently getting 46mpg out of my 2 litre diesel so your figures make fantastic reading for me in my decision to order a PHEV and wondering how it copes when the electric runs out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Currently getting 46mpg out of my 2 litre diesel so your figures make fantastic reading for me in my decision to order a PHEV and wondering how it copes when the electric runs out.
My 1.5 ecoblue mk3 titanium gets 65mpg on a run to Devon recently and 45 to 50 around town so not changing for the forseeable future might consider full electric when more charge point are available when towing but not yet

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
65 Posts
My Kuga performes well under 65 miles/hour. I can get around 47 mpg (depending ony how sportive you drive). But on a motorway, without any prior charge (battery empty) and with a normal speed of 80 mph I get only 31 mpg. If the speed is higher, than figures are getting lower. When towing my boat (1400 kg) on a journey of 188 miles (half motorway), I have got 23,5 mpg (which is around 12 liters per 100 km).

·
Registered
667 Posts
My Kuga performes well under 65 miles/hour. I can get around 47 mpg (depending ony how sportive you drive). But on a motorway, without any prior charge (battery empty) and with a normal speed of 80 mph I get only 31 mpg. If the speed is higher, than figures are getting lower. When towing my boat (1400 kg) on a journey of 188 miles (half motorway), I have got 23,5 mpg (which is around 12 liters per 100 km).
Not sure how you get so little ? On a recent trip in France we did 800 miles and averaged 48mpg with no charging. That was mostly on adaptive cruise at 80mph.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how you get so little ? On a recent trip in France we did 800 miles and averaged 48mpg with no charging. That was mostly on adaptive cruise at 80mph.
Just looked at data from past journeys and even a 35 mile jog over the Pennines with no battery charge gave just over 50mpg.
Looking at all the 'no battery' trips not one has been below 50mpg. Used Auto EV all the time.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
65 Posts
I do not really understand how you can get almost 50 mph, driving on a flat battery, on the motorway with 80 mph. On the motorway (a flat one anyway), you will get no electric km at all - the car will use its petrol engine all the time to maitain the speed). Especially for a 2 t car, with a large capacity petrol engine (2,5l) but with a small output (110 bhp).

Those are really the figures in my case (or maybe using a convertor from liters per 100 km messed them out somehow). I have to say that I am driving in a sporty way (but should not matter a lot for an automatic gear box car). I am clueless at the moment. I also need to mention that driving on Battery charging mode, for 30 minutes, I can even see a percentage in raise of the battery level. I will attach some photos in a later post. BTW , I am always driving in the ECO mode (if that is making a difference).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
9 l/100 km =31 mpg - I know my driving style is a bit impulsive, but still. I am interested to know what is you driving score in the app ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rectangle Font Tree Pattern Display device

·
Registered
65 Posts
If all of you confirm such figures, perhaps there is something wrong with my car. I will pay a visit to the dealer's then.

·
Registered
2020, Kuga PHEV, ST Line X.
73 Posts
I doubt that 50mpg can be achieved on 80mph motorway driving with empty battery. Unless you hook to some fast driving truck ;).
I did several longer trips with speed 80-90mph and was able to get to 34mpg. Yes, once you drive off the highway at speeds around 55mph, thats a different story.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have looked at info from last Friday. Car in Auto EV, started with 2%in battery. Trip is roughly 75% motorway cruising at indicated 70mph (actual 67mph) and rest A roads. Driver and 2 passengers.

Outward:
56 miles
Est elec: 20.7 miles
Est fuel economy: 53.9 mpg
Brake score: 95%
Driving score: 90%

Return (includes diversion due to roadworks in the village)
64.8 miles
Est elec: 26.7 miles
Est fuel economy: 50.4mpg
Brake score: 98%
Driving score: 91%

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
You are questioning the Master as in Gregs24. He’s usually spot on cos he’s a “boffin” and guru in one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I doubt that 50mpg can be achieved on 80mph motorway driving with empty battery. Unless you hook to some fast driving truck ;).
I did several longer trips with speed 80-90mph and was able to get to 34mpg. Yes, once you drive off the highway at speeds around 55mph, thats a different story.
You can doubt what you like but 48mpg was what we achieved! Motorways are never flat and on virtually all downhill sections the car goes to electric. Adaptive cruise helps as well because it doesn't waste fuel speeding up and slowing down as humans do!

The car was run on EV later to save battery for the end of the journey locally so no nett battery change

·
Registered
667 Posts
Have looked at info from last Friday. Car in Auto EV, started with 2%in battery. Trip is roughly 75% motorway cruising at indicated 70mph (actual 67mph) and rest A roads. Driver and 2 passengers.

Outward:
56 miles
Est elec: 20.7 miles
Est fuel economy: 53.9 mpg
Brake score: 95%
Driving score: 90%

Return (includes diversion due to roadworks in the village)
64.8 miles
Est elec: 26.7 miles
Est fuel economy: 50.4mpg
Brake score: 98%
Driving score: 91%
Pleased to see it isn't just me :) Check out those efficiency scores - that is why.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,263 Posts
I'll take that as a compliment even though that is not what you intended. ;)
It is a compliment!

I have been told that my humour is not taken as humour at times and that humour can be taken as sarcasm when it is not intended to be sarcasm but humour.

You are on the ball with all your stuff and i dib my hat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts