Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Mk3 Lucid Red, ST-Line X PHEV First Edition
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Pod Point installed a little while ago and each time you charge the amount of energy used is logged.

The PHEV is supposed to have a 14.4 kWh battery. What I'm seeing from the data is that charging from 0 to 100% the energy consumed is never more than 12 - 12.5 kWh.

Kind of looks like the 100% charge is actually about 80% of battery capacity.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
Please complete this task.

I think others have commented on this issue, but I can’t recall if it’s weather related.

Have a perusal in the search bar and you may find some answers. 👍

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I didn't phrase my search correctly as didn't see anything. Was expecting to see energy used up around 14kWh.

Should add this amount of energy does give range (guesstimate from vehicle) of 26-32 miles each time.

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
204 Posts
The Kuga battery is never at 0%. Even when the display says zero the car uses battery power to accelerate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kuga battery is never at 0%. Even when the display says zero the car uses battery power to accelerate.
Yep, I can appreciate that but bit surprised it appears to be as much as 20% of stated capacity.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes the battery is never flat. This is because the electric motor is still needed under heavy acceleration, the Atkinson cycle 2.5 petrol engine does not have much torque on its own so it relies on the electric motor to provide the extra torque.
So even 8f your battery shows 0%, there's still enough power in reserve for the motor to assist with acceleration. Your car effectively becomes a mild hybrid.
To further explain, the batteries in most mild hybrids are around 1-2 kWh, so this explains the difference in total capacity (14.4kwh) vs the amount used to charge an "empty" battery (12.5kwh + 2kwh reserve)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Completely normal for all PHEV batteries. They need to retain the last 10-20% for use when accelerating hard even when the HV battery is 'flat'. Otherwise you would have significantly less performance which could catch you out. You will notice this in the 'power meter' which if you accelerate hard with a flat battery will still show significant battery contribution.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Completely normal for all PHEV batteries. They need to retain the last 10-20% for use when accelerating hard even when the HV battery is 'flat'. Otherwise you would have significantly less performance which could catch you out. You will notice this in the 'power meter' which if you accelerate hard with a flat battery will still show significant battery contribution.
Yep seen the blue and white segments in the power meter when both battery and ICE are being used.

Your point about a reserve does make sense.

Had been using the 13amp lead to charge and had assumed 14kWh had been used. Only once I got Pod point I found about the 12 kWh usage. Suppose difference between 60p and 70p to charge isn't that significant though.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X 2022 (when it arrives)
17 Posts
The started range of 30-35 miles is for the 12.5kWh of battery capacity also, so I wouldn't worry.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,374 Posts
The started range of 30-35 miles is for the 12.5kWh of battery capacity also, so I wouldn't worry.
I'm sure you would have already been asked but could you please add your vehicle details to your signature, thanks.

Reactions: Lynxb

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
100 Posts
I can also confirm it is 12,5 kWh. I have setup a meter last week and these are the figures I am getting also.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga St-Line First Edition 2.5L PHEV
65 Posts
Going back to November, most i've seen is 11.8.

Also dont understand the range predictor. Says you are doing an average of 3.0 miles per kwh and you'll get 30 miles next charge. Wouldnt that make it a 10Kwh battery? 11 or 12 would be 33 or 36.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going back to November, most i've seen is 11.8.

Also dont understand the range predictor. Says you are doing an average of 3.0 miles per kwh and you'll get 30 miles next charge. Wouldnt that make it a 10Kwh battery? 11 or 12 would be 33 or 36.
Couple of things to consider the 14.4 kWh battery reserves approx 20% for running once the battery shows 0%.

The guesstimate of range is likely to show a lower figure due to colder ambient temperatures at the moment.

·
Registered
MK3, PHEV, ST Line X, 2021, SYNC 3.4 – zostava 22110, F 11.
4 Posts
Môžem tiež potvrdiť, že je to 12,5 kWh. Minulý týždeň som nastavil merač a toto sú čísla, ktoré tiež dostávam.
Kapacita batérie je 14,4 kWh, no využiteľná kapacita je len 10,3 kWh. Toto nastavenie chráni batériu a jej životnosť. Keď nabijete na 100 %, v skutočnosti je nabitý iba na 90 %. Keď ukazuje dojazd 0 km alebo nabitie na 0 % kapacity, nabitie v skutočnosti klesne pod 20 % kapacity. Auto sa prepne z režimu EV do režimu HEV a jazdí ako plne hybridný. Kapacita neklesne pod 15 %. Ako HEV využíva kapacitu 15 - 18%.
12,5 kWh = 10,3 kWh + strata pri nabíjaní batérie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is possible to set the display to show the electrical driving efficiency. It shows the electricity consumption in EV mode in kWh for the last XY km (Ford does not define the exact distance in the manual) and the theoretical range when the battery is fully charged at the indicated consumption in kWh. With defensive driving, consumption of around 10 kWh can be achieved, which is up to 100 km in EV mode. I managed to drive with 11 kWh consumption. The calculated range was 91 km, in practice I drove 92 km. In winter I calculated a range of 68 km, I drove 68.5 km with a consumption of 15 kWh. These numbers fit with battery capacity, consumption and range. I don't understand why many here have a problem with the range. If they look at their consumption, it must all be right.
Excuse my English, it is created by Google Translator. Please give feedback if this is understandable.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga St-Line First Edition 2.5L PHEV
65 Posts
I think it's general consensus that the range meter is just a random number generator.

Don't understand how you get 92km (57mile) from a car that is designed to only do 59km (37mile). Unless you're driving in petrol&electric hybrid mode.

Mine often tells me that I'll do random miles. 28, 35, 41, 45 and once 51. Although I think I have done late 30s, 50 has never been achieved. If it says anything like late 40s after I stop and restart it always drops back down to a more sensible value

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it's general consensus that the range meter is just a random number generator.

Don't understand how you get 92km (57mile) from a car that is designed to only do 59km (37mile). Unless you're driving in petrol&electric hybrid mode.

Mine often tells me that I'll do random miles. 28, 35, 41, 45 and once 51. Although I think I have done late 30s, 50 has never been achieved. If it says anything like late 40s after I stop and restart it always drops back down to a more sensible value
.You didn't write down how much your car was showing you. The calculation is not reliable, it has its flaws. When charging at 99%, it will show a range of 65 km, and when 100% charged, it will suddenly show a range of 75 km. When driving after 2 km, the range drops to 66 km, for example. I charge to 80% most often, so I don't have this error. I charge from photovoltaics at home and when I need to, I also charge at work. Consumption with mileage is correct for me.
I drove 92 km, of course, in pure EV mode.
The problem of a short range can also be caused by an incorrect driving style. Many people like to recuperate.
And I don't understand at all if someone is using L mode. Don't recuperate unless you need to brake. By recuperation you lose about 20 to 30% of the energy That is, when converting kinetic energy into electrical energy and again into kinetic energy. Sail, used preferably N on the selector and does not produce energy loss by recuperation. Anticipate traffic and try not to recuperate or otherwise slow down. When the road situation requires that you need to slow down or stop, depress the brake pedal properly and start recuperation. This saves a lot of energy that would go to heat in the brakes if not recuperate.
Kuga PHEV has incorrectly set increased recuperation in eco mode. In eco mode, recuperation should be switched off when the accelerator pedal is released.
I'm sorry, my English is from a translator.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
3 miles per kWh is what most EV's achieve, give or take. Clearly the type of journey, as well as the temperature, can make a big difference. If you drive like there is an egg under the accelerator pedal there is no reason why you cannot get 4 miles per kWh out of a Kuga.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts