Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

PHEV Charger

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  StuzL 
#1 ·
Good day ladies and gents!

New to the forum and first posting.

I have a 2019 ST edition 2.0l deisel and just swapped it for the ST X PHEV which is now on long order.

I'm not really sure what charger to get and my electrics at my house need a little care to cater for the new 32amp circuit.

My friend who is sparks has agreed to sort out the electrics and I'm thinking I may as well get hime to fit the home charger so it's all done a dusted.

Not sure if this has been covered in earlier posts but is there a prefered home charger that works with the Ford app?

Thank you in advance for any advise!

Cheers
Jas

#2 ·
I’m sure that you will be very happy with the new car when it finally arrives.
Regarding chargers, I opted for an Ohme Charger as It was under £200 through Octopus Energy. It works seamlessly with the Octopus Agile tariff charging when electricity prices are at their lowest.
If you are thinking of changing energy suppliers - give them a go. If you use this link you can get a £50 credit to your account and I will get the same.

https:/share.octopus.energy/ready-crow-78

#5 ·
Thanks Greg,

I was thinking about using the 13amp cord but if I get home late on a Friday for example and we don't plug the car in to charge, we sort of mess up Saturday morning perhaps or perhaps not? But with the home charger I could perhaps get up early plug the car in and catch some zzzzz! 🙃😂 gives us a bit of flexibility.

Definitely worth a thought though, and could be the way to start off.

Cheers
Jas

#6 · (Edited)
With Octopus GO there is a four hour window from 0030 to 0430 when you get electricity at 5p/kwh. The 13A charger isn't fast enough to fully charge the car in that time - the type 2 one is.

I went for an EO Mini 2 Pro unteathered charging point due to its small size. The app allows you to set charging times in half hour increments and also has the Octopus GO tariff already configured

It's costing me around 57p to fully charge the car from 0%.

For info, my Octopus referral link is share.octopus.energy/alive-robin-238

:)

#8 ·
I have PHEV Kuga on order and i have opted for the Rolec Ev Home Smart and have changed to Octopus energy as they seem to be one of the few companies that have the EV tariff
As a bonus All the electric in the house is on the 5p a unit between 00:30 and 04:30 and not just the car - this is done via the new smart meter they are putting in

Reactions: FezJas
#9 ·
I am on the Octopus GO tariff with the charge of 5p/KWh between 00:30 & 04:30 & 13.72p/KWh at all other times.
I currently have a Mitsubishi PHEV, which has a lower capacity battery and have been charging overnight, starting at 00:30 using the 13A plug in charger hat came with the car.

As the battery of the PHEV Kuga is larger I was considering whether it would be cost effective to upgrade to a "fast home charger" (7KWh) v the 2.4KWh delivered from the 3 pin plug in unit.
In the end I have decided it isn't worth the cost of upgrading from the 3 pin plug in unit.

These were my costings (Purely based on the available specifications, not real life experience). These costs assume starting from 0% charge, starting charging when the cheap rate kicks in at 00:30 & continuing until 100% charged. (Kuga battery capacity of 14.4KWh)
3 Pin Home unit - Charges at 2.4KWh
00:30 to 04:30 - 9.6 Kwh (4 Hours x 2.4KWh) @ 5p/KWh = 48p
04:30 t0 06:30 - 4.8KWH (2 Hours x 2.4KWh) @ 13.72p/KWh = 66p
Total cost = £1.14

Fast charger can deliver 7KWh, but the Kuga is limited to charging at 3.6KWh
00:30 to 04:30 - 14.4 Kwh (4 Hours x 3.6KWh) @ 5p/KWh = 72p
Total cost = £0.72

So the extra cost per charge for using the supplied 3 pin plug in charger is an extra 42p for a full charge.

When I take the frequency of doing a full change into account and compare this to the cost of installing a fast charger it isn't economic for me.
Based on the cheapest fast charger I could see, which was the Ohme lead @ £200 and the the number of 0 to 100% charges I would need to do to break even, based on the above calculations is 478.
If I charged as above every other day it would take 2½ years before I saw any benefit & this doesn't take into account the additional electrician cost to install the feed for the fast charger unit.

I suspect that I won't be needing to charge from 0% that frequently, so may often be only charging during the cheap rate period & will probably change the car in 3 years anyway. I suspect EV charging will also change during this time.

So in a nutshell, can't wait to get delivery of the Kuga, but will be sticking with the existing 13A plug in charger at the moment.
Sorry if I've bored you! ;)

#10 ·
I can see where your coming from as you can still fully charge the Kuga with the window Octopus offer but went for the EV home charger to take advantage of the grant and went for the larger charger rate to futureproof me

#11 ·
It's not advisable to continually use the 13A charger on an existing socket due to the load on the ring main. The advise is to get a dedicated 13A socket installed, connected to its own MCB in the fuse box. The cost of this (£200??) would offset the cost of a dedicated charging point (around £500 with Gov grant) and future proof charging needs.

A full charge on the 13A charger is around 6 hours, 2 hours longer than the GO cheap rate.

#13 ·
Before purchasing an EV charge box check that your home is not on a looped supply (common in 70s houses). You can check this by contacting your infrastructure provider (in my case Northwest Electricity ) and not the firm you purchase from. You cannot fit an EV box to a looped supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.