Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking at purchasing an ST-Line X PHEV. We have an outdoor plug socket out the front of the house, so we're planning on making do with this for charging until we get a wallbox further down the line.

Just wondering how bulky the plug is on the 13A charging lead is? Is it small enough to fit in one of those outdoor sockets and to be able to close the socket cover? Or is it too big?

It's one of these types of outdoor sockets

Thanks

Darren

·
Super Moderator
2,500 Posts
The 'takes forever' 13A lead is fitted with a bog-standard 13A plug at one end, so it will fit

·
Registered
480 Posts
The 'takes forever' 13A lead is fitted with a bog-standard 13A plug at one end, so it will fit
Not really forever! The charge rate is 2.4kW from a 13 pin socket and 3.7kW from a wallbox, so only about 50% faster. The Kuga PHEV doesn't support fast charging and only has about 12.5kWh recharge for the 14.4kWh battery.

The plug is OK, but the cable is very thick so you may need to 'modify' the outlet on the socket to allow the plug to fit snuggly and shut the weatherproof flap. You can wall mount the charging cable 'brick' as well.

Unless you are going to use the wallbox for other cars the Kuga doesn't really warrant it. As long as you don't worry too much about the last 15% of charge it takes about 3 hours to charge. The last bit takes longer as with all EV's.

·
Super Moderator
2,500 Posts
Are the wallboxes only 3.7Kw?

Surprised that they are not a half-decent capacity, but, then again you need a well-designed PHEV with fast charge like the Outlander or the Formentor to do that. (80% charge in 20 minutes).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Are the wallboxes only 3.7Kw?

Surprised that they are not a half-decent capacity, but, then again you need a well-designed PHEV with fast charge like the Outlander or the Formentor to do that. (80% charge in 20 minutes).
No they are 7kW, but the Kuga can only charge at 3.7kW maximum

·
Registered
377 Posts
dair0y,
Just make sure before you use the outdoor socket it is supplied from an RCD/RCBO for safety, you would be surprised how many aren’t. The other reason for using a dedicated wall box is that loads of cars are charged overnight and loads of people do washing and drying overnight, so the load on a domestic power circuit can trip the breaker/ melt the fuse. It’s all not a problem, just be aware.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also check the cable to said outside plug socket is rated and thick enough to carry the load required from the consumer unit to the socket) It is not un heard of for an outside plug socket to be spurred off a lighting circuit, which may have a smaller gauge cable and will have a smaller rated fuse / mcb / RCBO at the consumer unit, (and if not an RCBO is unlikely to be connected to the RCD.)

Higher gauge cable is needed for higher rated appliances, hence kitchen circuits tend to be seperate to the main sockets of the house (because of the total load with toasters, ovens, kettles..... Likely to be used at the same time) An electric power shower will have a higher rated cable for this same reason too.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Also check the cable to said outside plug socket is rated and thick enough to carry the load required from the consumer unit to the socket) It is not un heard of for an outside plug socket to be spurred off a lighting circuit, which may have a smaller gauge cable and will have a smaller rated fuse
Only when fitted by a bodger

Anybody with a house where a socket is fitted to a lighting circuit has serious issues !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Or by someone who didn't truly know what they were doing and thought it was OK.

I don't know if the op installed the os socket, had someone do it for them or if it was there when they bought the property, best to cover all bases
When I had the kitchen and bathroom re fitted you could not imagine the electrical and plumbing bodges that were discovered, some by the prev owner, others by the builders of the house. (live power cable for electric shower left dandling behind the void, with only insulation tape on the cres & resting on the pipework, the shower was T'd off the bath pipes using hose pipes instead of copper pipes / plastic plumbing pipes to the to the shower taps. Effectively out of sight out of mind. Yes there were no accidents yet, but it wasn't right, wasn't safe and could have killed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know it’s a bit off post but the last bad one I saw was on a traveller site we maintained for the local authority. As his van kept tripping the RCD he shorted it out, despite written warnings and his daughter got a bad shock, luckily one of my lads was on site and had only recently had a refresher on his first aid and managed to pull her off and save her. We had to attend court and give evidence and he got a custodial sentence but was still ignorant and unrepentant.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know it’s a bit off post but the last bad one I saw was on a traveller site we maintained for the local authority. As his van kept tripping the RCD he shorted it out, despite written warnings and his daughter got a bad shock, luckily one of my lads was on site and had only recently had a refresher on his first aid and managed to pull her off and save her. We had to attend court and give evidence and he got a custodial sentence but was still ignorant and unrepentant.
I've came across a few howlers, 1 fella ran his 5yr olds PlayStation, TV and dvd wiring through the steal tubular frame of his bunked, then blamed the electric board when his kid got an electric shock because they hadn't pre empted his stupidity and sent anything to say this wasn't a safe thing to do.
1 fella built a tree house using the electric boards mains pole as the main center support, the wires for 5 houses were 4ft from the platform and his kids had to duck under them to move around their new tree house, when we told him to take it down his response was, it's safe, I told the kids not to touch the wires.
1 fella had bypassed the electric meter using crocodile clips with no insulation on them, meter was in the hallway and he had 3 kids under 5, again "it was not dangerous" as the kids had been told the would get hurt if they touched them so wouldn't touch them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts