Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,331 Posts
It isn't a cheap filler - it is there to reduce CO2 output.
I accept it's important to reduce our CO2 emissions but it would be interesting to know if the new fuel is also being sold in the five countries that are the largest creators of CO2 (and others) of which the UK is not one of them. Looking at the CO2 leaderboard we are about where we are with Eurovision.

Every little helps I know.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,718 Posts
It isn't a cheap filler - it is there to reduce CO2 output.
Given that the PCM will inject more fuel for a given engine state (rpm and load) with E10 vs E5 CO2 benefit will be miniscule imho.

The O2 sensors, PCM target AFR tables will demand more fuel than would be burnt previously.

Would be interesting to watch the trims, total injection time for both fuels.

·
6,331 Posts
I was reading something this morning which says E10 isn't as efficient and will cost us more in fuel costs as our mpg will be less. On average an extra £18 per year. If it's cheaper to put extra ethanol in then that cost should be passed on to the consumer. I won't be holding my breath.

I guess I shouldn't be putting it in my gardening equipment either as my lawnmower is 25 years old. Typical as I only filled all my cans up last week as I had forgotten about this fuel coming in.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I was reading something this morning which says E10 isn't as efficient and will cost us more in fuel costs as our mpg will be less. On average an extra £18 per year. If it's cheaper to put extra ethanol in then that cost should be passed on to the consumer. I won't be holding my breath.

I guess I shouldn't be putting it in my gardening equipment either as my lawnmower is 25 years old. Typical as I only filled all my cans up last week as I had forgotten about this fuel coming in.
Yes they will use more fuel to get back to their desired AFR, you will be worse off.

A tank of E10 will not give you the same mileage as a tank of E5. Technically it should be cheaper per litre..

·
6,331 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Here in Oz we've had E10 for years, it's around 2c a litre cheaper, but you don't get the same fuel consumption.
I don't use it.

·
6,331 Posts
I never took any notice of the E numbers until recently but I have a few petrol powered gardening tools and the lawnmower has been acting a bit strange recently. Really difficult to start and when it does start the revs rise and fall. It could be some carp in the carburettor but if I grab the throttle slide, it revs just fine. I may try it on super unleaded as sometimes it's fine and at others it isn't.

If anyone knows a modification to get rid of the primer bulb, please post.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,446 Posts
I never took any notice of the E numbers until recently but I have a few petrol powered gardening tools and the lawnmower has been acting a bit strange recently. Really difficult to start and when it does start the revs rise and fall. It could be some carp in the carburettor but if I grab the throttle slide, it revs just fine. I may try it on super unleaded as sometimes it's fine and at others it isn't.
Yes, the E10 can do nasty things if the fuel system isn't compatible with it.

·
6,331 Posts
Yes, the E10 can do nasty things if the fuel system isn't compatible with it.
It probably isn't that but giving the higher grade fuel a go is worth a try.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

If anyone knows a modification to get rid of the primer bulb, please post.
Sounds like it's running lean?, maybe worth a go at adjusting it.

If it has a rubber tipped fuel needle, worth inspecting as these swell when in contact with ethanol for prolonged periods and can alter the fuel level (lower it).

As for the primer I think you're stuck with it but I'm not a lawnmower expert by any means!.

If there's any diaphragms etc would be worth fitting Viton replacements if they are not Viton already..

·
6,331 Posts
Thanks @keithmac - it has a 173cc 4 stroke engine. Difficult to get genuine spares for if you can call it genuine as I have seen a few versions of this engine. The primer bulb for example isn't available so I am using a syringe from what you use to fill ink cartridges with and it works lol. You have to give it a good yank on the pull cord though. I know it's going to snap at some point.

I will have a play with the mixture and see how we get on. I did read that these could be set on the lean side for emissions but don't know for sure. It was fine when it was new.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,446 Posts
Thanks @keithmac - it has a 173cc 4 stroke engine. Difficult to get genuine spares for if you can call it genuine as I have seen a few versions of this engine. The primer bulb for example isn't available so I am using a syringe from what you use to fill ink cartridges with and it works lol. You have to give it a good yank on the pull cord though. I know it's going to snap at some point.
Time to convert to battery powered tools?

I've got a 24VDC mower that 's still going strong after many years. It's got a lead acid battery that needs to be left on float charge when not in use. My other gear is Ego 56V lithium ion powered - pole saw, pole hedge trimmer, normal hedge trimmer, cultivating tool and edge trimmer. Man do they have some power. Even the older 24V DC mower easily outdoes my old 2 stroke petrol.

·
Registered
Mk1 Kuga 2.0d 163ps manual 4x4
83 Posts
Just drifting even further off topic....
For years fossil fuel was burnt shame free, because we didn't know any better. Now it is recognised as the work of the devil...
How long before the raping of the planet's resources to produce batteries becomes a source of shame and regret?
Also seen some statistics recently that suggest the amount of fossil fuel being burnt in the mining activity to extract the required minerals for battery production exceeds the fossil fuel used by the entire United States based airline industry; not fact checked, but even so, made me think.

·
6,331 Posts
Time to convert to battery powered tools?

I've got a 24VDC mower that 's still going strong after many years. It's got a lead acid battery that needs to be left on float charge when not in use. My other gear is Ego 56V lithium ion powered - pole saw, pole hedge trimmer, normal hedge trimmer, cultivating tool and edge trimmer. Man do they have some power. Even the older 24V DC mower easily outdoes my old 2 stroke petrol.
They are still quite expensive here David and my garden is big. I have a ride on mower to do the main grass which is about a third of an acre and only bought the petrol self propelled mower to do the edges near the trees and bushes where I can't get the ride on in.

I made the decision about 11 years ago to stick with the Ryobi brand for my diy power tools but their batteries in 4ah and 5ah are very expensive and I only have one of the higher capacity ones.

I may have a look at LIDL next time theirs comes up as their batteries are dirt cheap even in the higher capacity range but only 20 volts.

·
6,331 Posts
Just drifting even further off topic....
For years fossil fuel was burnt shame free, because we didn't know any better. Now it is recognised as the work of the devil...
Same as diesel fuel yet our government made it more beneficial to buy a diesel car in 2001. Surely they must have known about the impact of particulates created by the diesel engine even back then. Possibly no different to us carrying on using asbestos when it was known to be dangerous.

To me facts are whatever people want to believe. On this particular topic which started with the use of E10 petrol (back on track now, sort of), it clearly states in the press that the using of E10 fuel could cut transport CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes per year, which is the equivalent of taking 350,000 cars off of UK road.

But where are the facts.
Who is the source of the facts.
What if more consumers decide to use E5 instead.

This is an extract from the BBC' website below.

How green is this really?
That's a matter of some debate.
Ethanol is seen as a carbon-neutral fuel, since the plants absorb carbon dioxide from the air while they are growing, offsetting the CO2 emitted when the fuel is burnt.
However, no-one is quite sure whether the two really cancel each other out.

If the end result is a greener one then fine and at a reduced cost, which should be passed onto the consumer, then even better.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts