Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is probably a daft question. I am going to have to put petrol in my PHEV for the first time. Having been using Diesel for the last few years. Is it OK for the PHEV to use E10 petrol, or is it better to be use E5? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
"All Ford vehicles built since 1992 (except for one Mondeo model) are compatible with E10" Abridged quote under the FOrd heading on UK Govt Compatibility checker...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"All Ford vehicles built since 1992 (except for one Mondeo model) are compatible with E10" Abridged quote under the FOrd heading on UK Govt Compatibility checker...
Thanks for that. I suppose what I really should have asked, is there any difference in performance between the 2?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,423 Posts
Thanks for that. I suppose what I really should have asked, is there any difference in performance between the 2?
The ones who use the premium say it's better. I have only ever bought the cheaper fuel but I did notice a little sticker the other day on the inside of the filler cap which recommends to use premium fuel. I may give it a go one day and ignore the price per litre.

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
613 Posts
On the inside of the Mk.2.5 Petrol Kuga filler cap there is a sticker displaying both E5 and E10.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the inside of the Mk.2.5 Petrol Kuga filler cap there is a sticker displaying both E5 and E10.
OK. I will have to read the handbook and find out how to open the fuel filler flap and see what it says. :)

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
100 Posts
Press the button above the boot opening button by the light control knob.

·
Registered
56 Posts
E10 is 10% ethenol in the petrol , E5 Is 5% ethenol in the petrol mixture.

Ethenol is an alcohol and doessnt give you ad much bang for your buck (fuel efficiency / mpg) and cause wear on seals and hoses so E10 will not be as efficient as E5

E10 is also much more hydroscopic (sucks in moisture from the air) this moisture is water which is heavier than petrol, so sinks to the bottom of your tank and will be the first thing sucked into the engine. It does take a little time for this to happen it isn't instant but if you are leaving a car fueled up for over a month all you will have is lots of water at the bottom of the tank. For non phev vehicles unless you are laying the car up for a while this shouldn't be an issue but if you only need to top up very little on petrol (as you would likely do with a phev) then there is more chance of a pool of water in your fuel tank.

For me personally if I used little fuel (as you would expect with a phev) then I'd be putting in the now "premium" E5
The petrol stations premium / supper premium 97/99 ron are likely to remain as E5 AND NOT BE E10.
Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99
Shell V-Power
bp Ultimate
Texaco "super" grade petrols
Tesco momentum99
Are all remaining as E5

Asda & Sainsburys are not going to offer any E5 fuel, it will all be E10

Using the "premium E5 fuel is going to cost more, but as you will do it little and not often it shouldn't impact your wallet/purse as it would were you petrol only.

·
6,423 Posts
So let me get this straight as I am used to understanding fuel by the RON number. In fact it was just easier when we had 2, 3 and 4 star but showing my age now.

Our old unleaded normal fuel, called premium for some reason was 95 RON
Super unleaded was 97 to 99+ RON

That I understand.

Now we have an E number which I can see is relative to ethanol and the number equating to the percentage is easy too.

So if the new super unleaded is replacing the old premium unleaded does that just mean the forecourts are just selling the old premium fuel at a higher price or is there an official RON number for what is the E5 fuel.

Glad I got a diesel lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ron is the amount of octane / quality and performance of the fuel rating.

E is the percentage of ethenol in the fuel.

RON determines the fuel’s resistance to pre-ignition. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating.

With an engine, the higher the compression ratio the higher horsepower per engine, making the engine “high performance”.

You want to match the car engines compression ratio the the Ron you use, this is where the manual will say to use a minimum Ron "normal" 95. "High performance engine 97+"

A higher RON or fuel grade doesn't equal higher quality, it relates to the delay to auto ignition.

Using a higher rated RON (97+) in an engine With a lower compression rating (run of the mill car) doesn't mean you will get more horsepower.

But using a lower Ron (95) in a higher compression "high performance" engine can lead to pre ignition (bad - over time engine could blow up bad)

From what I can see Ron 95 fuel will all be be 10% ethenol , if you want to continue to use 5% ethenol then it will be their higher Ron (97+) fuel (which a run of the mill car can use but does not need and you will gain no extra performance from using)

·
Registered
571 Posts
So let me get this straight as I am used to understanding fuel by the RON number. In fact it was just easier when we had 2, 3 and 4 star but showing my age now.

That I understand.

Now we have an E number which I can see is relative to ethanol and the number equating to the percentage is easy too.

So if the new super unleaded is replacing the old premium unleaded does that just mean the forecourts are just selling the old premium fuel at a higher price or is there an official RON number for what is the E5 fuel.

Glad I got a diesel lol
No the two are unrelated. Interestingly Ethanol has a higher RON than unleaded so adding Ethanol actually helps in that respect.

·
Registered
571 Posts
E10 is 10% ethenol in the petrol , E5 Is 5% ethenol in the petrol mixture.

Ethenol is an alcohol and doessnt give you ad much bang for your buck (fuel efficiency / mpg) and cause wear on seals and hoses so E10 will not be as efficient as E5

E10 is also much more hydroscopic (sucks in moisture from the air) this moisture is water which is heavier than petrol, so sinks to the bottom of your tank and will be the first thing sucked into the engine. It does take a little time for this to happen it isn't instant but if you are leaving a car fueled up for over a month all you will have is lots of water at the bottom of the tank. For non phev vehicles unless you are laying the car up for a while this shouldn't be an issue but if you only need to top up very little on petrol (as you would likely do with a phev) then there is more chance of a pool of water in your fuel tank.

For me personally if I used little fuel (as you would expect with a phev) then I'd be putting in the now "premium" E5
The petrol stations premium / supper premium 97/99 ron are likely to remain as E5 AND NOT BE E10.
Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99
Shell V-Power
bp Ultimate
Texaco "super" grade petrols
Tesco momentum99
Are all remaining as E5

Asda & Sainsburys are not going to offer any E5 fuel, it will all be E10

Using the "premium E5 fuel is going to cost more, but as you will do it little and not often it shouldn't impact your wallet/purse as it would were you petrol only.
Esso Synergy Supreme is actually Ethanol free except in Devon / Cornwall and the NW of England. It is labelled E5 but contains no Ethanol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Esso Synergy Supreme is actually Ethanol free except in Devon / Cornwall and the NW of England. It is labelled E5 but contains no Ethanol
I think a few are like that but the legal red tape mess says they have the say E5 on the pump.
The E5 doesn't mean there is 5% ethenol in the fuel, it can be anywhere from 0-5% but no more than 5%

·
Registered
56 Posts
Smart guy, I hate to say it but....... Although eonly "petrol" is mentioned, and only affected in this new change, there is a similar thing with diesel and the amount of bio diesel in the diesel 😂
You can get B7 or B10 deisel, 7% /10% bio fuel in the diesel but the government aren't forcing the B7 out like the are the E5

·
6,423 Posts
Smart guy, I hate to say it but....... Although eonly "petrol" is mentioned, and only affected in this new change, there is a similar thing with diesel and the amount of bio diesel in the diesel 😂
You can get B7 or B10 deisel, 7% /10% bio fuel in the diesel but the government aren't forcing the B7 out like the are the E5
Haha, you got me there.....I have seen the notices on some of the pumps regarding bio diesel. I may try the premium petrol on the wife's Mokka and see if it improves the power delivery at all. The spec says it has 140bhp but it seems to me as some of those "horses" are asleep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Haha, you got me there.....I have seen the notices on some of the pumps regarding bio diesel. I may try the premium petrol on the wife's Mokka and see if it improves the power delivery at all. The spec says it has 140bhp but it seems to me as some of those "horses" are asleep.
I very much doubt it will have an affect or miniscule affect in performance / mpg compared to Ron 95, a higher Ron doesn't give extra performance to a standard engine.
your talking hi spec high performance sports cars where the higher Ron has an affect.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
637 Posts

That I understand.

Glad I got a diesel lol
You'll be arrested for driving a diesel soon ;)

·
6,423 Posts
I very much doubt it will have an affect or miniscule affect in performance / mpg compared to Ron 95, a higher Ron doesn't give extra performance to a standard engine.
your talking hi spec high performance sports cars where the higher Ron has an affect.
I was thinking it wouldn't make much difference in performance but if I tell the wife I have put more expensive fuel in it to give her car a bit more oomph she will believe me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts