Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FROM CONFUSED .COM. Petrol and diesel cars to be banned within the decade
New petrol and diesel cars won’t be sold in the UK from 2030.

The ban, originally set for 2040, was brought forward to 2035 earlier this year. Now it’s been brought forward another 5 years. If you're concerned about how the ban could affect you, read our guide.
The government is allocating £4 billion to fund the ban, using £1.3 billion of this to create more charging points for electric vehicles (EV).

What does this mean for buying petrol or diesel cars?

From 2030, you won't be able to buy a new petrol or diesel car. You'll still be able to buy them second-hand, and you won't have to scrap your existing car.
New hybrid cars may still be available until 2035.
To help drivers make the switch to EV, £582 million in grants is being made available to make them cheaper to buy.
The announcement is part of a wider scheme of measures that aim to tackle climate change. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has called this the “green industrial revolution”. He believes this will create jobs in alternative energy industries and help cut the UK’s carbon emissions.
Why has the ban been brought forward?

It’s no secret that we’re living through a climate emergency, and the UK government has an ambitious target to hit zero carbon emissions by 2050. Transport accounts for about a third of the UK’s emissions, so the earlier these are cut the quicker we can reach that target.
Does this mean my next car has to be electric?

Not at all. You’ll still be able to get petrol and diesel cars second-hand after 2030. But as the UK shifts closer to a green transport network, there could be an impact on your car’s running costs.
For more information on how the 2030 petrol and diesel ban could affect you read our guide.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well, I was going to post something myself the other day, after hearing the fantastic news!
Then, I thought it could be a proper quagmire.....

I am of course taking the “Michael “ with regards to the fantastic news, but I try to be balanced on in my views (mostly anyway).

I can recall back on the 70s, that it was muted that fossil fuel would have been depleted by the 2020s. We’re not exactly there but I do agree that we need to do something to clean our planet up. It does of course take a team effort and little jolly old “Blighty “ can’t do it by herself.....so will places like CHINA-USA etc Follow us, I think not. We cut our nasties so others can just keep going.

So the top bods in charge of the land have put manufacturers on readiness. Let’s hope that they can keep up with the pace of change....and maybe the reality of the infrastructure for electric vehicles will become common place on the high street etc.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that we can still run about in diesel💪 Motors or petrol.

I’m all for change and love technology but has the human mind been stretched too far, as we just cannot come up with the so called “silver bullet” of all fuels. Maybe someone should ask the aliens that are the guests of the Americans at Area 51. They gave them stealth didn’t they?

As for me, I’ll be 70 when the new rules will come in, unless they are changed by a government who thinks otherwise.

I’ll have had the best years out of motoring, starting in 1977 with two stroke motorbikes etc and up to the present day. A Tesla that can do 400 miles and charges within an hour sounds good tho but I have to wear my sensible head and think of my little cherub grandchildren and think what’s right for them.

Anyway, hanky away now and remember folks, DIESEL 💪 Rules !!

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Lip Service by the current government I think. Sales of 2029 car sales will be good as I can't see us improving too much on where we are today from an electric point of view unless 2030 technology hasn't been made public yet. When planes don't need kerosene to fly people around the world I will believe that a new era is here but looking at where we were in 2010 I don't think we have advanced too much. At least the Kuga doesn't leak water over the fusebox anymore so maybe we have come a long way and by 2029 we may have a proper load cover, but I just can't see we will have a car in 2030 that can do what a diesel or petrol car can do today with a fill up of fuel in less than 10 minutes, and be ready to go again.

What about trucks.

Reactions: Psshaw
1 - 3 of 3 Posts