Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The passenger side foot well is absolutely saturated. Currently i have lifted most of the carpet and insulation and there is loads of water. Has anyone came across this before? I can't seem to find where or how the water is getting in. It seems to be coming higher up under the glove box if that makes sense.
Please help

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Possibly sealant has failed/missing in and around the seams where the floor pan meets the firewall, as a common fault on some MK1’s, causing electrical problems with fusebox as well, lots of posts on forum about it, try the search facility for “water ingress”

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,
The passenger side foot well is absolutely saturated. Currently i have lifted most of the carpet and insulation and there is loads of water. Has anyone came across this before? I can't seem to find where or how the water is getting in. It seems to be coming higher up under the glove box if that makes sense.
Please help
I'm about to tackle my MK1 Kuga with the same problem.
After exhaustive reading it seems the water comes in from under the front scuttle below the windscreen. Either Water follows a wiring loom down past the fusebox onto the floor, dripping on the fuse box on its way. Or via the air inlet, or where sealant is missing, or poorly sealed windscreen.
It beggars belief that it could be so poorly built. Mine is also leaking into the boot from the rear quarter window and roof rail. The last car I had that leaked this bad was an Austin 1100 back in the 70s.
Crazy isn't it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm about to tackle my MK1 Kuga with the same problem.
After exhaustive reading it seems the water comes in from under the front scuttle below the windscreen. Either Water follows a wiring loom down past the fusebox onto the floor, dripping on the fuse box on its way. Or via the air inlet, or where sealant is missing, or poorly sealed windscreen.
It beggars belief that it could be so poorly built. Mine is also leaking into the boot from the rear quarter window and roof rail. The last car I had that leaked this bad was an Austin 1100 back in the 70s.
Crazy isn't it.
SkipHunter - did you manage to fix yours? I'm about to do mine today. I had a quick look last night, on the drivers side - where the rain water should drain down is blocked and on the passanger side looks clear but I did notice on the black plastic top corner is not screwed down. I can see there is a screw but it has come away from the body so I'm hoping that could be the cause. Also when I looked through the plastic grill I can see big welds in the corner which looked ok but there is a drilled hole next to it, would this need filling or is it supposed to be there unfilled?

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Waits3yr.
After an exhaustive day yesterday sorting out the many leaks on my MK1 kuga, this morning after pouring several watering cans over the roof I do actually think I've sorted it.
All the leaks I found have been due to cracked or missing sealant.
You will need to remove the front bulkhead Scuttle which is four screws. The wiper arms will have to come off too. You have to put the wipers on then switch off ignition when arms are pointing up. You can't remove the wipers if you don't. Undo the 15mm nuts and then hit the side of the arm base with a rubber mallet to loosen, or use a wiper arm puller. Mark the position of the wiper arms on the screen with masking tape so you know where to refit them.
You can then lift up the scuttle and pull forward leaving the cables attached. In the nearside corner there's a big pile of sealant. On mine the sealant had big cracks in and water was getting passed down a join and into the car.
I cleaned the sealant out and resealed with a PU sealant. Managed to get some in on the driver's side, although that's a difficult job due to the wiper mechanism.
Fitting the scuttle back is by placing it back tight up against the plastic trim at the base of the windscreen where and tapping it down with your palm. It seems to click in.
Replace four screws and wiper arms.
Hopefully once the sealant has gone off you should be dry.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on. IMG_20191108_120302896.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for late reply - I sealed the big cracks in the welds on Saturday as shown in your pictures. Apart from those cracks I couldn't see any obvious signs of water getting into the car. With the carpet removed and the rest of the water cleaned up I hosed the car down for a good 20 mins and everything seemed ok. Today however after a night of rain the car is still leaking, I'm at a total loss of how its getting in. The drivers side and behind is bone dry - I have checked the boot and that is dry also. The only thing I did notice is after removing the long black plastic under the bonnet, the seal below the windshield did come away at the ends but stayed connected in the middle of the window. There also seemed a lot of dirt and build up of moss there. I have checked all window and door seals and they are all sound , is it possible it could be coming from the duct and pooling under seat?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
I feel your pain. Just been out to mine this morning after a night of rain and blow me there's a small amount of water on the floor. Couple of drops of water on one of the cables coming from behind glove compartment.
Really annoyed now so have removed the glove compartment to see what's going on. What a job that was, Ford didn't intend these cars to come apart. Looks like another long day on the bast**d.
  1. On a happy note, the boot area is dry. IMG_20191111_104529440.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks an absolute nightmare job. Are you any further forward? I'm going to take the roof rails off and double check the seals are ok, I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That looks an absolute nightmare job. Are you any further forward? I'm going to take the roof rails off and double check the seals are ok, I'll let you know how I get on.
Just got indoors after another day working on the Kuga. My it's cold outside today but dry.
Yes it has been a nightmare taking all the bits out but at least I discovered water was also getting in from the top nearside corner of the windscreen. Again poor sealant application. I've cleaned the gap surrounding the windscreen, dried it and put sealant around the top and sides of the outside edge of the screen. After leaving for a couple of hours I got my wife to hose the top of the car and so far no water.
I'm leaving the cubby hole and other bits out so I can put a new pollen filter in. Makes sense as they are a pig to change. Got a new Crossland one on order from eurocarparts for £3.60. Collect it tomorrow.
Removing the roof rails is easy with trim removal tools but is not necessary as there are only two bolts under each end cap that go into a tight fitting seal/hole. I bought a set for £6 off Amazon. Very useful.
Good luck. IMG_20191111_121308636.jpg IMG_20191111_120519948.jpg IMG_20191111_135707411.jpg IMG_20191111_131609839.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have narrowed it down at last! Tonight it's still leaking. I opened the boot and on the left hand side there is a panel, I managed to squeeze my hand arm in and at the bottom there is what feels like a rubber bung with wires running through. I can feel a puddle!!! So I'm guessing it's either the seal on the rear light or my passanger side roof rail. How hard is it to remove the rail and what sealant do I use?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have narrowed it down at last! Tonight it's still leaking. I opened the boot and on the left hand side there is a panel, I managed to squeeze my hand arm in and at the bottom there is what feels like a rubber bung with wires running through. I can feel a puddle!!! So I'm guessing it's either the seal on the rear light or my passanger side roof rail. How hard is it to remove the rail and what sealant do I use?
I doubt if it's the bung you mentioned. The water pools there after entering the car. The root rail is easy but unnecessary. The sides of the end caps have to be spread outwards to release them from the grips of the rail. Then levered upwards. They usually fly off once released.
As I said before seal the lip of metal at the end of the roof rails and the rear quarter window surround using Puroflex P40 or similar. It's very sticky stuff and messy so wear gloves as it makes your fingers black. Don't use silicone sealant as it doesn't stick.
I've just put my Kuga back together after much work tracing leaks. So far after another load of rain and testing from hosepipe drenching all is dry on board HMS Kuga.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts