Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone help, I drove my 2011 Ford Kuga for a 140 miles and on the way my four wheel drive warning light came on, I stopped and had a look around and saw nothing, I restarted the car the light went out.and continued with my journey.I got home and parked the car up, the next day i saw a big pool of oil on my drive, this was clean oil not smelly or anything. I have had it down to my local garage and he has cleaned the area up, put about a quarter of litre transmission oil in and ran the car for gully engaged with the gearbox and cant find anything wrong, he says it may have come from the transfer pump ( or something similar) has anyone come across anything like this? Is there an expansion tube where it can get out or anything like that? Im really worried about taking the car out. any help would be gratefully appreciated

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You've got the Gearbox (Powershift?), the PTU (front transfer case) and rear diff (Haldex unit).

Was leak at front or back?.

AWD fault is "normally" Haldex pump filter clogged, the diff at the back has a pump built in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Keith the leak is at the front, i think i have the powershift gearbox. if the filter is clogged is it an easy job to replace? what would be an estimate cost for getting the job done (roughly)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The Powershift is a sealed unit with a breather on top, can't see any chance of oil coming out of it's breather. The oil pump is internal. There's 2 driveshaft seals and main input seal.

There's a coupler between Powershift and PTU, another potential leak point.

Maybe drive it for a few days and put it back on the ramp to check for fresh oil?.

The Haldex Diff at the back would benefit from a service regardless (Volvo may do it if you get stuck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Powershift is a sealed unit with a breather on top, can't see any chance of oil coming out of it's breather. The oil pump is internal. There's 2 driveshaft seals and main input seal.

There's a coupler between Powershift and PTU, another potential leak point.

Maybe drive it for a few days and put it back on the ramp to check for fresh oil?.

The Haldex Diff at the back would benefit from a service regardless (Volvo may do it if you get stuck.
thanks Keith brilliant post gives me more options to look at,have been driving it for a couple of day and no new oil leaks, but i have lost all confidence in the car now, i was supposed to take my caravan out today but am cancelling as i don't want to do any damage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts