Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Had my kuga since january and well pleased until 5 weeks ago. Noticed an oil patch on the drive,had a look underneath but could'nt see anything.Took it to the dealer and they said it's an oil seal on the transfer box.Will have to book it in because it is on back order.
I asked if its ok to drive and they said yes.

Two weeks later and I start to get clutch judder.

Last wednesday the dealer calls to say they have the oil seal.

Took the car in thursday,told them of clutch judder and get told car will be ready later that day.At 3 pm get a call to say it wont be ready because they cant get the transfer box out but should have it for friday.

Midday friday they call to say they have never done one of these before so they are having a few problems

I was working round the corner so i went to see it- no wheels,subframe,transfer box,gearbox,propshaft,exhaust or suspension.

Spoke to the mechanic and he tells me the flywheel is breaking up and taking lumps out of the clutch plate.

Collected car yesterday and drove lovely-clutch really light.

The wife takes the car to work this morning and have more oil on the drive than i did before .Phoned the dealer up and get told to bring it in again.They have now towed it to the garage and I'm waiting for them to give me the bad news.

Any body else had these problems.

Sorry for the long rant,I'm just p*ssed off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer has just phoned.The new oil seal is defective and they have to order a new one and they dont know when it will arrive.And ford say its just one of those things!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the dealer phoned me on friday to tell me they are keeping the car until at least thursday next week because one of fords technical wizards is coming to look at it.

Apparently this could be a major problem with the transfer box machining and it may prompt a recall.
Will keep you informed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like we have a similar problem. We noticed oil spots on the drive from the sump tray. Took it to the Ford dealer who advised us exactly the same as they did for you, AWD seals needs replacing and would need to get them on back order. The car is booked in for 1st June so lets hope it comes back in one piece and not as a giant jigsaw puzzle.

We've also had a problem afterchanging into 2nd gear, as you take your foot off the clutch and apply the accelerator you get a slight judder/noise for a second.

Let us know how your Kuga is now.

Winston

·
Registered
173 Posts
Scarey
, your not kidding that story scared the sh*t out of me went straight out to check under for any tell tale signs,please keep us informed of any updates, Hope you dont get any more bad news for all our sakes.

all the best mate

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have had oil spots leaking on the drive, very light oil and it washes away in the rain.
No change in driving performance in any way.It has been into dealers today for sevo brake valve recall ( quick easy job ) and the oil leaked checked. They said it was AWD transfer box oil seals and the were on order and would book my car in when they arrived. Sounds like a big stripdown job.

would Scary please report how he went on and is the problem resolved satisfactorily.

Anybody else had this problem ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was starting to think thatI had a Friday afternoon Kuga what with the oil leaking from the AWD transmission and the mechanic from the Ford Dealer telling me he didn't know how long the replacement seals would take to fitas they'd never done one before, and that's before I get onto the subject of the noise the car makesnormally in 2nd gear. The mechanic tells me that it's the ABS system doing a self check each time you start up and pick up speed to about 10km/ph, but is it right that it makes a clunk andyou feel it through the accelerator pedal. Any ideas? Booked in for the seals on Monday 1st June so will give update after that. No news on Scary's Kugayet!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Winston has his AWD transmission oil seals replaced today and apparently no other problems, although I still can't fathom out the clunk noise when hitting about 12mph, the dealer tell me it's the ABS doing a self check, does anyone eslse get this noise?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah I've noticed this as well.
It feels that it comes from the front wheels, as I can feel it through the steering column especially if I am turning when the clunk occurs.

I reckon the dealer maybe right as It only happens the once just after starting the Kuga.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hi All.
My Kuga does exactly the same thing, grinds at the same speed, 12ish mph. You can feel it through the accelerator pedal, it's definitely a grind and in my case there is no clunk and only does it the once. My 1.7 Puma used to do this too. I'm pretty certain it's the ABS self-testing but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All,
Thanks for the reassurance that it's a "normal" thing with the Kuga.

Like a driver possessed I've been turning Winston's engine on & off while driving around the ford dealer's car park.

As with the oil leak from the AWD transmission which they now appear to have fixed I'm stilllying on the drive after every journey just to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts

hi my names steve i have posted before on this forum regarding a body creak which took ford seven months to cure and in the process damaged the car in several places,now i have had to take the car in once again for transfer box oilseals. i am very concerned about ford being capable of repairing the leak as it appears as though this is becoming an issue with kugas how many people have got a good kuga, iam certainly pissed of with mine

1 - 20 of 31 Posts