Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Further to the fun of my last post (2015 Mk2 1.5 Ecoboost with intermitent misfire/sputtering) about 1-2 months after the car was repaired we were greeted with a sudden thud along with red warning lights and "pull over as soon as possible" like message on the dash. AA call and visit later it turned out one of the radiator hoses wasn't fastened correctly and popped off - the radiator had emptied itself pretty quick. Took the car back to the garage that didn the work and got them to check over the car to make sure nothing else was missed out.

Fast forward to the last week or so.

I noticed that there's been a dark patch appear on our driveway. Thinking it was another car/van as there are a couple of other family members who use our drive and I've seen various other vans use our drive to turn around in (don't ask), I just assumed it was from one of them. Yesterday we took our girls for their swimming lesson and when we got back to the car I noticed a wet looking patch under the car. Did a quick check of the puddle and it appear to be oil maybe - it was dark brown/clear ish and had a very strong fuel like smell but was oily in texture. Not entirely sure what I was thinking, but just assumed it may have been the air con that had dripped onto something and because of parking facing downhill the water was mixing with something oily/greasy.

Today I popped to the tip and thought of not running the air con assuming that would negate that as the issue. The tip is 5-10 min drive away. Got home, and saw the drips coming out (pics to come). It wasn't gushing out, but was definately happening (like a broken tap dripping). It's nearly in line with the front axle/wheels and about 1/4 of the way in from the drivers side. Again it was a dark brown/clear mix in colour and a very strong fuel and oil smell. I managed to catch a drip on my finger and was a very dark brown colour.

Life got in the way so I didn't get round to checking the levels today, but hoping to get out first thing to look.

Pending pics, are there any likely things it could be? I think we've done around 1500 miles since the car was checked after the radiator incident, and I'm pretty sure all the rebuild work came with a 12 month warranty. Even still, I'm loathed to go back to that garage (they're a Ford dealership) and we only have 2 Ford dealerships on the Isle of Wight. When I was looking around for anyone to do the work on the misfiring, this Ford garage was the only one that would actually do the work.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That looks like transmission fluid, is the car auto?
If you remove the under tray you'll probably see the drips coming from the drive shaft seal, where it connects to the differential.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope, it's manual.
Guessing/hoping an engine rebuild would have required some of that being disconnected in order for the rebuild to take place?

Checked the oil level this morning and although the drive isn't completely flat the dip stick was at below min. Don't think it should be that low after 3-4 months? Not sure how much of an angle the car would need to be at before the level is affected that much.

Will have to see if I can get under the car and if I have the tools to get the tray off.

Looking at similar posts this post suggest it would smell of cat piss? We have many cats use our garden as a loo and it doesn't smell like that. It's a really strong, fuel/oil like smell. The wife described it as if you've just walked into a service garage (the ambient smell of cars) but a lot stronger

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,436 Posts
I was thinking power steering fluid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking power steering fluid.
Just been out to check (your thoughts also got me thinking too), but the power steering fluid is pretty much on max (if the car were level).

Out of curiosity, should the hole where the leak is coming from (in the first 2 pictures) be there? I can't find a decent pic of the tray without being fitted to see what it should look like.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,955 Posts
Isn’t the steering full electric?

·
6,436 Posts
Isn’t the steering full electric?
Yeah you could be right. The mk1 had a tank that was mounted under the headlight same as the Focus. Looks like the motor is part of the rack on the mk2.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks like transmission fluid, is the car auto?
If you remove the under tray you'll probably see the drips coming from the drive shaft seal, where it connects to the differential.
Brownie points to you!
Car went back to the garage on Monday and they got to look at it yesterday. Turned out to be transmission fluid leaking from a cracked/damaged seal (maybe? can't remember the exact cause) so would be fixed under warranty from their work in May.

They also kindly noticed that the water pump had a minor leak too. Did offer to replace the part and not charge the labour as they'd have the car up and semi-naked anyway.

Not a bad history for the car so far. Two owners, 25k miles, and all this so far. Thought getting a very low milage car with Ford Direct would have produced a better experince than what we've had.

·
6,436 Posts
@theTechnician - I just read your other thread and post one of this thread. Not a good example of the 1.5 petrol Kuga is it and as much as I said I would never buy another diesel, I am glad I did. I may change my tune if my dpf starts playing up like it did on my last car but the system just works on the Kuga.

I think you have just been really unlucky and as much as I would never buy the 1.5 petrol we have quite a few members who have them and they have had no issues. With all things there are good and bad and it looks like you have just got a bad one for one reason or another. Your car may have had a hard life before you bought it. Can you be certain the mileage is genuine.

As for the garage leaving one of the radiator hoses loose as mentioned in post 1, that is unforgivable and hope the car will now be trouble free for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@theTechnician - I just read your other thread and post one of this thread. Not a good example of the 1.5 petrol Kuga is it and as much as I said I would never buy another diesel, I am glad I did. I may change my tune if my dpf starts playing up like it did on my last car but the system just works on the Kuga.

I think you have just been really unlucky and as much as I would never buy the 1.5 petrol we have quite a few members who have them and they have had no issues. With all things there are good and bad and it looks like you have just got a bad one for one reason or another. Your car may have had a hard life before you bought it. Can you be certain the mileage is genuine.

As for the garage leaving one of the radiator hoses loose as mentioned in post 1, that is unforgivable and hope the car will now be trouble free for you.
It's pretty much put us off having another Ford in the near future. Granted it could be bad luck with the car for the initial big problem needing a rebuild, but the handling of our custom since then hasn't been great either and being on the Isle of Wight we're limited to 2 dealerships. When I bought my 2008 Fiesta (brand new), I paid £50 for the ferry fare but saved nearly £3000 by not going to a local dealership for the same car.

The car had 3900 miles on the clock when we got it (has less than 26000 now). We got it through Ford Approved/Ford Direct and we were told the previous owner was the branch manager of where we got it from. Most of these points were why we got that particular car to begin with.

Still without the car now (they've been 'working on it' for a week now). We've also now got a funeral to attend (unfortunately) and there's no way we'll fit into the Fiesta we've been given.

I've been drafting an email to the Ford UK's customer relations. Doubt anything will come from it, but can only make a point of how our experience has been.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts