Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to fit a heads up unit (HDU) to my MK2 Kuga. I have been told that there is a permanent feed in the OBD, where it would be plugged into, but by connecting an HDU, I would drain the battery even with the ignition off and the HDU off.
Can anyone confirm that there is a permanent feed to the OBD and if so, is there anyway I can change the feed for it to go off with the ignition.
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, but I can't find any useful information anywhere.

Thanks
JWE

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
496 Posts
I would like to fit a heads up unit (HDU) to my MK2 Kuga. I have been told that there is a permanent feed in the OBD, where it would be plugged into, but by connecting an HDU, I would drain the battery even with the ignition off and the HDU off.
Can anyone confirm that there is a permanent feed to the OBD and if so, is there anyway I can change the feed for it to go off with the ignition.
Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum, but I can't find any useful information anywhere.

Thanks
JWE
I think you mean a HUD, at least that’s what it was called in my marine Harrier 😉
Welcome to the forum by the way👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you mean a HUD, at least that’s what it was called in my marine Harrier
Welcome to the forum by the way👍
Thanks for the welcome.You are quite right, should be HUD. Put it down to age.

·
Registered
2009 Kuga tdci 2.0 4x4
33 Posts
You're both right. The aftermarket HUD kits use the OBD connector to get the data from the car's ECU.

You're right to be concerned about draining the battery, leaving something plugged into the OBD connector will eventually do so. Whether the draw is enough to cause a problem depends on the load and how often you use the car, so impossible to say without more info.

There is an easy way to make sure it isn't an issue though. When I used a similar device (scangauge) I made up an OBD extension lead and substituted an ignition live for the permanent live. That way you have the best of both worlds; no unplugging stuff every time you use the car (who can be arsed!) and no draw when the car is off.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,710 Posts
Hi @JWE, welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here…………Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're both right. The aftermarket HUD kits use the OBD connector to get the data from the car's ECU.

You're right to be concerned about draining the battery, leaving something plugged into the OBD connector will eventually do so. Whether the draw is enough to cause a problem depends on the load and how often you use the car, so impossible to say without more info.

There is an easy way to make sure it isn't an issue though. When I used a similar device (scangauge) I made up an OBD extension lead and substituted an ignition live for the permanent live. That way you have the best of both worlds; no unplugging stuff every time you use the car (who can be arsed!) and no draw when the car is off.
Thank you. Great idea. I was wondering where the permanent feed came from. If it is fed from a fuse box, I was wondering if I could just move the feed to an ignition supplied fuse instead of permanently live fuse.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
Thank you. Seems a friendly place.
We do try. There are lots of friendly and helpful people on here. I think @garybee 's suggestion is a good one using an extension lead and swapping the permanent live for an ignition one. Don't forget to post pictures when you get it working.

·
Registered
2009 Kuga tdci 2.0 4x4
33 Posts
I still have an old lead I modified on a shelf somewhere. More than happy to post pictures of it with details of which pin to feed with ignition live if required/helpful.

edit: If I'm 'teaching you to suck eggs' just let me know.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've had a HUD unit plugged into my OBD port for the last 3 years, it hasn't caused any issues with running the battery down, only powering up when the car starts.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still have an old lead I modified on a shelf somewhere. More than happy to post pictures of it with details of which pin to feed with ignition live if required/helpful.

edit: If I'm 'teaching you to suck eggs' just let me know.
Sorry for delay in replying. Family problems, but now sorted.
I would love to see the pictures and confirmation of which pin to feed. That would be great.
JWE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had a HUD unit plugged into my OBD port for the last 3 years, it hasn't caused any issues with running the battery down, only powering up when the car starts.
Could I ask what HUD unit you have.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't know the make, but it's a cheap Chinese eBay special.
It's worked faultlessly starting up and shutting down when the car is started up.

·
Registered
2009 Kuga tdci 2.0 4x4
33 Posts
Sorry for delay in replying. Family problems, but now sorted.
I would love to see the pictures and confirmation of which pin to feed. That would be great.
JWE
No problem. I just grabbed the lead to take a picture. Unfortunately I must have been feeling uncharacteristically professional when I made it as I've heat shrunk it all to seal it. There's really not a lot to see though. A quick google will show you that pin 16 (lower light pin as you look at the connector in the car) is the power connector. If you open up an extension lead you just need to snip this cable and connect the wire that goes to your extended end to ignition live.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts