Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting on here in a while but at a loss so hoping someone could help.....

I have had a 2014 plate Kuga since last August (2.0L diesel) Brought it from Ford Bristol street with 3 year motor assured warranty. Went in for first service a few weeks ago, collected it and engine service now light appeared the next day. Called Bristol street who booked it in for investigation, they had it yesterday and have said it needs a new O2 sensor which is covered under the warranty but also needs a software update at the Same time which isn’t covered. Apparently they can’t do the sensor without doing the software update. So my question is.....are they trying it on or is this a genuine problem? The software update is going to cost £114, I questioned whether it is necessary and got told 100% it is so just wanted to get a second opinion.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe I'm too harsh, but I would aim to get a written statement (email or check out papers) saying that they will not replace a sensor under warranty unless you pay for the update, and then complain to your local authorities.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I would check the terms and conditions of the warranty and then check with another ford dealership if what Bristol Street are saying is correct. Also if there are any outstanding software updates on your car it should be shown on the ford etis website.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
It sounds like an aftermarket warranty which is usually totally useless. I'm actually surprised they're covering the O2 sensor as technically they're a consumable part and have a limited life span.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It could be that the sensor isn't covered by warranty and Bristol Street Motors don't want to be accused of selling a warranty that is rubbish so covering their fat behinds. Oxygen sensors are not expensive for the Kuga so perhaps they are trying just to cover their costs.

I would be asking exactly what the software update is. A sensor swap should just be a like for like basis but they will need to plug it in to clear the fault code. I wonder if that is what they are classing as a software upgrade which in this instance, it isn't as it's part of the repair.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be that the sensor isn't covered by warranty and Bristol Street Motors don't want to be accused of selling a warranty that is rubbish so covering their fat behinds. Oxygen sensors are not expensive for the Kuga so perhaps they are trying just to cover their costs.

I would be asking exactly what the software update is. A sensor swap should just be a like for like basis but they will need to plug it in to clear the fault code. I wonder if that is what they are classing as a software upgrade which in this instance, it isn't as it's part of the repair.
Thanks! I’ll ask the question and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would check the terms and conditions of the warranty and then check with another ford dealership if what Bristol Street are saying is correct. Also if there are any outstanding software updates on your car it should be shown on the ford etis website.
Ive checked the Ford Etis website and no updates are showing for the car

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
In that case then if ford decide to change the sensor and that sensor needs to be coded to the car then that is not your fault and should form part of the repair. If Bristol Street are a ford agent then they should be showing you some courtesy and arranging any software updates as part of the repair.

Personally I think they are spinning you a line. Get to speak to the manager.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts