Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm thinking of putting security one way clutch head screws on my number plates but what I've noticed that fords use 10 guage screws around 4.8mm diameter but when it come to putting the colour caps on they are all for 8 guage screws and don't shut , if anyone has achieved this please let me know
Oh one other thing I would probably prefer to use stainless screws
Edited by: Colw1

·
Registered
177 Posts
The security screws are really only to stop the opportunist thief if your Kuga was stolen they would soon have them out - I would use stainless Pozi drives then just fill them with Araldite/Chemical metal or beg/borrow a Dremmel and lightly grind the drive out.

Then use a good steering wheel lock.

Del.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both replies both interesting but I would like it standard with caps but it's the height of the head that causes the problem

·
Registered
177 Posts
You only really need security screws to stop the plates being lifted on the street, if the Kuga was stolen and then cloned for eg. a couple of screws no matter what they are will not prevent a plate change.

Del.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You can get countersunk security Torx screws in the size you mention. He ones that have the pin in the centre. Just go to any decent hardware store who sell fixings. Not Screwfix or B & Q. If you are really stuck then try ironmongeryonline.

·
Registered
751 Posts
For the last ten years or more, I've used"Richbrook Anti-Theft Number Plate Bolts" @ around £6.00

You get two screws of each colour (silver, gold and black), matching coloured countersunk adapters, screw-head adapter and Allen-key

Obviously, silver is for the white background and gold is for yellow background.

But they also include a pair of black screws in case up to two holes in your number plate pass through a letter/digit.

I also use "Richbrook Spinning Anti-Theft Caps" and have done since around the same time after some local kids thought it was funny to let tyres down in the area.

They come in sets of the same colour, with available colours shown below.

Just gotta remember to let your service guy or tyre guy know where the tool is if getting work done on wheels/tyres. LOL

Both are quality accessories and although a little expensive direct from Richbrook, they can be had cheaper from other places, such as Amazon or Halfords.

In fact, there are a lot of quality Ford accessories in the "Richbrook Catalogue"

Just saw these "Anti Theft Number Plate Bolts", which look very posh and which are £12.99 on Amazon.

For the love of god, please do not venture past page 19 of the "Richbrook Catalogue"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts