Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

went out on my first caravan venture with the Kuga over the weekend but I had a delay due to brake lights not working, I read somewhere about fords Not copeing with multiple brake lights which this van has, it has 4 brake light bulbs, took one bulb out and they worked thank god!

our immediate solution now is to get LED brake light bulbs but I was wondering if there was a software or other upgrade that can be done to sent more power to the brake Lights?

any advice is very much appreciated

TIA

Super Moderator
Yep, my experience precisely. My tow module is a Ford one and my Bailey caravan had dual reversing & fog lights - which didn't work, but the module supplier sent me (through the towbar fitter) appropriate LED's... I would just go for LED equivalents of the incandescent bulbs... There were no markings on them though 馃槩

Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
Discussion Starter #3
Im borrowing my parents van ATM so we will change the two upper brake lights for our trip next week and ill have to be mindful when i buy my own van next year

Super Moderator
Hi all

went out on my first caravan venture with the Kuga over the weekend but I had a delay due to brake lights not working, I read somewhere about fords Not copeing with multiple brake lights which this van has, it has 4 brake light bulbs, took one bulb out and they worked thank god!

our immediate solution now is to get LED brake light bulbs but I was wondering if there was a software or other upgrade that can be done to sent more power to the brake Lights?

any advice is very much appreciated

TIA

AFAIK there are no upgrades nor is there a way to send more power along an individual circuit. It 'is what it is' and the change to LEDs at least provides a solution.

Registered
Hi all just throw my bit in. When i had my tow bar fitted i had all sort's of problem's.Being a lorry driver i have always attached my trailer with the engine running, and this is what i had always done with caravan's in the past turn's out that was the problem, with the engine running it confused the computer the tow bar man worked it out on his third visit. So always hitch caravan up with engine switched off then every time i start i have no problems.But it was strange because it caused a different problem every time i connected the caravan.

Registered
Are you not supposed to fit a split charge relay for vehicles with canbus wiring as that gives the power required for the extra lights.

Registered
Yes i think so, but split charger is only to power fridge and charge caravan battery when engine is running,when you switch car off it shut's off the power to them.

Super Moderator
Are you not supposed to fit a split charge relay for vehicles with canbus wiring as that gives the power required for the extra lights.
Nothing to do with the Canbus lighting, the power for the caravan lighting is taken by the Towing module (which is plugged into the rear fuse box and gets its power from the main loom. The Canbus is used to interlink between the ECM/BCM and Towing module and to give it instructions to "turn right indicator on" etc... I "believe" my Towing module also takes the place of a Split charge relay and keeps the fridge ticking over when engine is running on car.

Registered
That would make sense.

@ kevjan. Many years ago I was told by a tow bar fitting company that I would need a split charge relay for any vehicle with canbus lighting. As this is powered by a 12v supply it is that that takes the load for the extra lighting and not the cars electrical system. My enquiry was only for a single 7 pin socket which doesn't have the ability to power a fridge or charge a caravan battery. As Guzzilazz says, the towing module has replaced the old split charge relay set up.

The advice given was many years before we had led light bulbs as a mainstream fitting on cars. Mine is a 2015 and not an led in sight lol. Reference was to my 2007 Mazda 6, DIY towbar and 7 pin electrics. Further investigation was non canbus wiring.

Registered
My Kuga came with a towbar but reversing sensors don't go off when reversing. I have sorted this by driving forwards most of the time and look for large turning areas to avoid the constant beeping.

Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, We have changed the top two lights to LED now and works fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts