Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had a PM from NigelB who we hadn't heard from for 23 days... He's given me permission to share his story and I think it's an illuminating warning for all of us.

"Well, that turned into one heck of a ride and one which I pray to God I will never repeat.

Well, thanks to God’s Good Grace, I am sitting in my lounge typing this.

Apologies, at the outset for grammatical errors (one of my pet hates) but the painkillers are still making things a little ‘fuddled’.

Twelve days on intravenous antibiotics (including four simultaneous drips at one time in Intensive Care) have turned the corner and I am ‘bacteria-free’ enough to return home.

When, through a drug addled haze you see a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) sticker inside the front cover of your notes, you know that things are pretty serious.
Over these twelve days I have seen what makes this country great. It comes in a uniform of various hues (still can’t figure that out but the ones in red are not engineering officers like Star Trek) but somewhere there is an NHS badge.

From tiny nurses who are prepared, with a smile, to attend to the ‘toileting needs’ of, effectively a motionless ‘slab’ at three in the morning to the elderly catering lady who, with your afternoon cuppa delivers, after a furtive glance over her shoulder, “you want little cakey, no tell nurse?” Never has a tiny cup cake tasted so good.

Whatever we pay these people, it is simply, simply, not enough.
My body has been delivered and I pray that my soul will follow, but not yet.
Thank you Lord. It’s good to be alive.

See you back on the forum soon I hope. "

"It can start with something as simple as a tiny (smaller than pea-size) piece of 'stuck poo' in the gut. Everyone gets them and 99.9999% pass with no issue.

It is only if they are 'sticky' and get stuck in a loop in an intestine and then 'all bleeding ****' breaks loose."

"Larry, do feel free to share the story. I would hate for anyone else to go through this on the back of what was a dodgy stomach'. If the pain lasts mare than 48 hours, dial 111. "

I've obviously wished him all the best for a full recovery, and not to rush back to mod duties

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Thanks Larry, lost for words..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just shows that something that seems trivial like a stomach ache can be serious, get well soon Nigel and take care

·
Registered
614 Posts
Get well soon Nigel, We do miss the regulars..
Boozers might be shut but not the forum community..

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Thanks, everyone.

The drugs have really screwed up my sleep pattern so a night-time's browsing and reading begins!

Still, a minor inconvenience given the potential outcome. Weirdly, I have dealt with death in the past but it's bloody surreal writing about what could have been your own.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Welcome back Nigel, I see you're working on my time zone.

·
Registered
233 Posts
+1 to all the above goodwill messages, glad your on the mend, welcome back.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome back Nigel ,Get well soon.

Ross

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
The last thing that my digestion needed (or needs) is any help from drop!

For the uninitiated 'drop' is Dutch liquorice.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Some Lancashire Homebrew Nigel? .. That will sort you out one way or another...
Cleaned the Kuga brakes and worked a treat. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Some Lancashire Homebrew Nigel? .. That will sort you out one way or another...
Cleaned the Kuga brakes and worked a treat. :D

For the moment I will stick with the 'weapons-grade' antibiotics which I am sinking (on hospital orders) at twice the normal maximum dose. Once I have (please God) the 'all clear' on 24th June I then have a further six weeks on a 'maintenance dose'. After that, given a full 'OK' I would relish a pint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts