Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Kuga Titanium 2.0TDCi 150
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, complete newbie here, so before i continue if i have posted this in the wrong place i apologise. So mods, feel free to move if needs be.

I have owned my Kuga since June last year (2016 2.0 TDCi Titanium), having considered sending it back to the main dealer for its annual service, i have decided to go DIY to save costs.

I will be changing the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.

I will ensure the filters themselvs are OEM (unless anyone has a better experience with other brands?) but my main concern is ensuring i chose the right oil.

Unfortuantely, i have very little service history for the car (Part of the reason I'm unsure about the dealer doing any work - but thats another story) so i dont know what brand has been used previously. Looking online i'm tempted towards Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start.

Before i go ahead and order it i wanted to know if anybody has any experience of this, or reccomendations of other brands?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,452 Posts
Hi @Rather_Have_A_Cougar, interesting name, welcome to the forum.

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @andspenka, signature updated.

The username is a little nod to the old Ford Cougar, I'm a massive fan of 'old' rubbish.... The Kuga is our family car :)

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,951 Posts
Thanks @andspenka, signature updated.

The username is a little nod to the old Ford Cougar, I'm a massive fan of 'old' rubbish.... The Kuga is our family car :)
And there was me thinking your user name meant something completely different. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS (T8MA) Manual Sync1
412 Posts
Hi all, complete newbie here, so before i continue if i have posted this in the wrong place i apologise. So mods, feel free to move if needs be.

I have owned my Kuga since June last year (2016 2.0 TDCi Titanium), having considered sending it back to the main dealer for its annual service, i have decided to go DIY to save costs.

I will be changing the oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.

I will ensure the filters themselvs are OEM (unless anyone has a better experience with other brands?) but my main concern is ensuring i chose the right oil.

Unfortuantely, i have very little service history for the car (Part of the reason I'm unsure about the dealer doing any work - but thats another story) so i dont know what brand has been used previously. Looking online i'm tempted towards Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start.

Before i go ahead and order it i wanted to know if anybody has any experience of this, or reccomendations of other brands?

Cheers
Filters I choose between: MANN and BOSCH -good top quality brand:
Mann fuel filter: 16.66£
Bosch air filter: 9.87£

Oils I had with latest ford specification to my 180ps engine: 950A
Motul, Liqui Moly, and now I bought Mobil 1, but not changed it yet. All of them are slightly expensive and I don't fell the difference anyway. Maybe next year I choose cheaper and change it twice a year.
Mobil 1 3000F 6 litres: 55.02£

I ordered parts from Germany using AutoDoc app. In some days you can get discount about 38-41% and then I placed order... Slightly cheaper than Eurocarparts. Never used anything from Ford for service.

In additional service I will recommend you to change oil in PTU (Power Transfer Unit) it has really hard work to do and it's heated by engine and exhaust, you will drain black gunk from there. Magnetic drain plug was full of metal sand. Good time to clean it.

Oil change in gearbox. My one is 6 speed manual MMT6 due to age I changed it, little darker than new. I notice there was about 0.4 litre under level...

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filters I choose between: MANN and BOSCH -good top quality brand:
Mann fuel filter: 16.66£
Bosch air filter: 9.87£

Oils I had with latest ford specification to my 180ps engine: 950A
Motul, Liqui Moly, and now I bought Mobil 1, but not changed it yet. All of them are slightly expensive and I don't fell the difference anyway. Maybe next year I choose cheaper and change it twice a year.
Mobil 1 3000F 6 litres: 55.02£

I ordered parts from Germany using AutoDoc app. In some days you can get discount about 38-41% and then I placed order... Slightly cheaper than Eurocarparts. Never used anything from Ford for service.

In additional service I will recommend you to change oil in PTU (Power Transfer Unit) it has really hard work to do and it's heated by engine and exhaust, you will drain black gunk from there. Magnetic drain plug was full of metal sand. Good time to clean it.

Oil change in gearbox. My one is 6 speed manual MMT6 due to age I changed it, little darker than new. I notice there was about 0.4 litre under level...
Appreciate the advice 👍

Yep, Mann is normally my go to for filters, and I'll consider Liqui Moly. I'll be honest i never feel a difference in engine performance regardless of the oil, but I'm always conscious about the quality.

This may be a silly question, but mine is a 2 wheel drive car, so I'm assuming i dont have a power transfer unit?

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
Appreciate the advice 👍

Yep, Mann is normally my go to for filters, and I'll consider Liqui Moly. I'll be honest i never feel a difference in engine performance regardless of the oil, but I'm always conscious about the quality.

This may be a silly question, but mine is a 2 wheel drive car, so I'm assuming i dont have a power transfer unit?

Cheers
Yes, so you haven't got it. Only AWD has PTU.

If you have manual transmission good brand for the oil is Redline. I noticed much faster gear changes after replacing to it...
...but it might be because I topped up oil to correct level :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Yes, so you haven't got it. Only AWD has PTU.

If you have manual transmission good brand for the oil is Redline. I noticed much faster gear changes after replacing to it...
...but it might be because I topped up oil to correct level :unsure:
Was it fairly straight forward changing PTU oil?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Was it fairly straight forward changing PTU oil?
Yes very easy job. Good access to filling and drain plug. Haven't got link, but you can easy find tutorial on YouTube typing "escape 2013 ptu oil change"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts