Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning anyone viewing,

Brand new to Kugas having justbought a Ford Direct, Panther Black Titanium with X and appearance packs.

All the lights are now upgraded to leds including DRL (oblong slim 'Ring' 8 or 9led units within the front valance and these run off the sidelight circuits. They sit in the two outer slot apertures in the silver valance panel.

Footwell lights are now red, red mood smd/leds are fitted below rear of the front seats and above the front passenger's and the driver's feet.

Luggage and front courtesy lights are led festoons and rear courtesy is a 360 led wedge. Both reading lights are led wedges. Approach lights and sidelights are 6 led wedges. rear number plate lights are just philips bright white wedges.

When replacing the approach and front sidelight lamps I found that a small dab of grease on the locating tabs of the panels below the headlights and a spray of WD30 into the door mirror pods went a long way to making everything slip back into the fixing slots really well - no risk now of breaking the plastic panels through excessive force being used.

Where the carpet is cut wrongly on the outsideof the front footwells I've cut some black plastic sheet and double-sided it to the back of the plastic trim and it makes the problem invisible by effectively extending the plastic trim piece up and forward - looks quite nice!

Bluetooth is fitted and an iPod Classic in the centre storage box (3.5 jack input slot) with a Kensington wireless R/C unit powered from the adjacent 12v socket gives me all the Harry Potter audio books (or even Phil Collins/Genesis) on long trips that I could possibly want! The wireless for the iPod runs from a nice wee unit fasted to the steering wheel and which doesn't get in the way of anything in fact it feels good to have something to fold the fingers around and play with on a long journey - don't go there!!

As the standard reversing lights are pretty poor I've added some small but really powerful 'Ring' foglamps as reverse lights fastened under the rear valance by the outermost standard screw bolts each side. To go along with this I've fitted a reverse cam which looks down through the swept area of the rear window from its hideaway against the top inner seal of the rear window. Can't be seen from outside and all you see from inside is a wee black box. It's fastened to theseal by a couple of very small tiewraps passing through the rubber. Works well and is energised from the standard reverse light circuit. Display is a small LCD just inside the driver's A-post big enough but not as good as the real thing which is so pricey.

All the extras run from a 4 channel remote switch in the boot with a small warning led placed into the trim above to rear window so you get a warning in the rear view mirror when it flashes red to tell you the new reverse lights are on. This remote switch control the mood lights, accessory socket under the right side of the bulkhead as well as the new reverse lights. All the other items warn you themselves simply by being on.

Second day the huge slab side door (LF)was whacked by a little old lady slamming her situp and beg car door into it at the bank!
GGRRRRRR. So after a load of mucking about COBRA in Germany have agreed to sell me a set of their sexy side mouldings (see their site - Cobra Technology and Lifestyle). Should be here in the next week or so, so just need a bit warmer weather and they'll go on too. That should help protect the car from careless people - (polite description applied on here)!

Had a concealed towbar fitted which works brilliantly and the towing weight this car is capable of is great - works really well. The mats front and rear are the fancy badged velour ones and they are worth getting because they are so comfy.

I found the rear rooftop aerial really high and in danger of hitting garage doors etc. Got a second one and then cut the old one down a bit, siliconed a rubber tyre valve cap onto the cut end then applied some really tight black tape to the thing and it looks almost as good as the real thing, is nicely shorter, can be worn into and out of more or less any height garage or car park and reception hasn't gotten any worse. I still have the standard one for when I know I'm not going to be going into any restricted height areas - easy to swap over.

Mileage figures are impressing me seriously. I work at an airport and even travelling through the Scottish country to the office gets me 44 - 46 mpg and on a good motorway run at high speed I get 49 mpg easy.

All been topped off with a 5 A/N reg that ends in KUG - looks good.

Well that's about it for now. If anyone wants to see any photies or chat just let me know. email is [email protected].

regards and happy Kugering!

PJ

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only forum I'm in. Wasn't sure I'd done it right first time. Is it a hanging offence.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read about the code-red thing today. Is it worth doing? I don't want to drive fast or hard just consistent, boring etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ring-LED-Daytime-Styling-Lights-(AUDI-R8-look)_W0QQitemZ120363047337QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Hi QXQ,

The link above should take you to the ebay store from which Ibought them. The price appears to be about half you would expect to pay in a UK High St, car parts store.

Hope it helps. One thing I found was that even after a couple of weeks the carbon fixings began to corrode. Near the office is a stainless fastener warehouse where I get all my S/S parts from so a few m3 screws at 10mm and some m4 (I think) x 12mm hex socket head bolts and matching nuts/washers/springs later and I'd replaced all the stock parts. It looks quite good close up being shiny S/S not nearly black rusting fasteners.

Regards

PJ

·
Registered
418 Posts
Where did you get the rear bumper thing from?

Like the upgrades..

Mine is in for it's service and I am in an old style Fiesta - makes me realise how much I like the Kuga.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Mouse - I appreciate yourcomments!

Hi Cornish,

The rear bumper protectors are from stuff I had for my bike. They're called 'Strips and Dots' and are clear soft(ish) self adhesive padsfrom most motorcycle stores. Normally used for protecting tanksand bike bodyworkfrom luggage and buckles etc rubbing the paint off them. When I got the car from Ford Direct it already had a few war wounds on the top of the rear bumper. Rather than get a major piece of kit like the black plastic or chrome things you can get to do the job I wanted something that wouldn't stand out but still does the job. The pads being clear really do pick up the colour of the bodywork so they look completely colour coordinated. 'Strips and Dots'.
The 'Cobra' side mouldings arrived yesterday so I will get them on and then photo them. I'm going to like the job they do. Next thing will be to see if I can get a re-formatted Ford badge tomatch the shape of the impressed Cobra badge which I will then replace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts