Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note to moderators: feel free to move this to a more appropriate location if needed.

OK, so I've just become 4 days ago the owner of a new Kuga MK2.5, build date September 18th, 2019.
I'm writing this post to share pictures about smaller car details, the kind that you don't always see in reviews.
I'm also making some notes about the capabilities I observed and are new to me.
Forum limits me to 10 pics/post so there will be multiple posts.
I'm coming from a manual Ford Focus, 1.0l, 125HP.

New things:
-holding the car lock button on the remote makes all the windows rise up. Tested with driver and right backseat windows.
-there's a light underneath the mirror, in its body (!). Easier to walk around/enter the car at night.
-there seem to be additional air vents for the feet (?) in the center and sides.
-was ordered without navigation, but it came with it, and also maps
-automatic transmission. No comment here.
-the brightness of the screen seems to be linked to the light bulb phase. If it's off, which still has DTRL activated, it's brighter at night than if it's on low beams. Strange. I tested this at night, in front of a completely dark block.
-the front seats seem to have a small side place that is meant to store an umbrella maybe (?)
-in the boot there's absolutely no wire/harness of sorts that would allow keeping in an upright position the fire extinguisher. Previous focus had an elastic band on the right for the first aid kit, and a Velcro strip on the right hand side.
-there seems to be quite a large space underneath the rear seats. I can get my whole hand underneath the seats. I did not yet make pictures about this, but I will.
-when folder, the rear seats have metal poles/hooks of sorts present on the sides, in the boot side, implying it should be pushed/pulled. Haven't try that yet - had no time to browse the manual and see what's that for.
-two USB ports. Huraaa. I expect the amperage to be the same old 500 mA, but still... two ports.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
second row of pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
“Business Version” never heard of that spec before , no alloy wheels, looks a different rear skid pan to UK, the silver hooks will be the ISO Fix safety seat mounts, media sync 3 can be set to auto, day, or night settings, winter pack in UK includes heated steering wheel, appearance pack has roof rails but no privacy glass........but it does have the parcel shelf extra cover fitted to tailgate
Why do manufacturers change specs for different countries......ridiculous
All the same enjoy your motor

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
“Business Version” never heard of that spec before
In Romania they introduced that as a very small step up from Trend, the cheapest option.

, no alloy wheels,
They tried to push that as options, but I took them out. My budget was very tight, originally I wanted to go to something like Seat Arona (drivetest canceled 3 times by the distributor), or Ecosport (drive quality too harsh) but the drive quality won me over to Kuga.

looks a different rear skid pan to UK, the silver hooks will be the ISO Fix safety seat mounts, media sync 3 can be set to auto, day, or night settings, winter pack in UK includes heated steering wheel
My mistake for the steering wheel, it is heated, now I added it in the signature.

appearance pack has roof rails but no privacy glass........but it does have the parcel shelf extra cover fitted to tailgate
Why do manufacturers change specs for different countries......ridiculous
All the same enjoy your motor
Thanks! I wondered what that extracover is and I believe it's for extra-privacy. Strange indeed that they did not include the privacy glass in this case.
I'm now hoping/begging I'll get a 20 mpg where I live (capital city).

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
That explains a lot, enjoy your car the ride is great, as for mpg I cannot comment as I have a 2.0 diesel manual and do very little town driving, but 17mpg seems very low even for a petrol power shift , no doubt another member will help you

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi Katakana54, I have a Kuga Trend, which in Australia is the middle of the range below the Titanium.
Mine has the 2.0 litre Ecoboost petrol with auto transmission, around town I get 10.2 l/100km (27 mpg) so you should expect the same or better with the 1.5l

·
Registered
126 Posts
Katakana54,
There are loads of posts on here re the mpg if you try a search. Mine is the same as yours and around town I get around 20 mpg so hopefully slightly better than you expected. Enjoy your Kuga.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Unfortunately it's not that low ;). It's not a PowerShift, it's a classic Torque Converter transmission. Besides the question why does Ford spreads so much incorrect information, my local distributor added to its pricelist a very nice table for fuel consumption for Kugas.Later edit: I have discovered that the online user manual lists similar figures: Urban cycle: 12,1–7,8 L/100 km
Here it is. I've downloaded it from this link. Look at the 235/55R17 tires. You need to do the conversion in MPG but I'm adding conversion table to make it easier for you, mpg is rounded at the first decimal.."Vara" means "summer".
5 l/100km = 57mpg
6 l/100km = 47mpg
7 l/100km = 40mpg
8 l/100km = 35mpg
9 l/100km = 31mpg
10 l/100km = 28mpg
11 l/100km = 26mpg

In the spirit of writing what I observed and hoping it's clear that I do not complain (for the quick eyes out there :D ), here it goes:
-there's a 2.7 l/100km difference for the 1.5L 150HP between Manual transmission and automatic transmission for the urban driving cycle.
-1.3L/100km difference between all season and summer tires
-for my summer tires, the official figure is 11.4l/100km (~25mpg). My driving style is a bit harsh, so i'm downgrading that to 20, which is the figure I wrote initially as 15 thinking about US mpg above.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Switching a bit the subject, I did notice a few very minor things that are the kind any distributor would dismiss and I'd like to see if they are normal from your experience.
1. When going to a full stop at a traffic light, and AutoStartStop does not stop the engine (for whatever reason), when I have my foot on the brake and the transmission is in drive, there is a very slight shudder coming from the car. It's like the engine is under a heavier load and something is holding it back. If I put the transmission to neutral, that very slight shudder goes away. This behavior makes me always want to switch to Neutral when waiting a traffic light for a longer period.
2. When starting driving again from a traffic light for example, or any place where I was stopped, sometimes I felt the car a bit like slipping on a wet road for a very brief period (best guess is 50-200 milliseconds). Outside temperature was 12-17 degrees Celsius, and the road was not wet. I presume this happens because of the torque converter way of working and me learning the car.
3.When in Parking, the car does not become extremely immobile in the same way as with switching it in gear with my manual. It goes back and forth for a few centimeters.I will test this a bit more and get back with more details.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The "Business" trim level is present in Greece as well, and has sold almost equal Kugas with the ST-Line trim. One of the best vfm choices in the C-SUV market segment, on par with the SX4 S-Cross as a package.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realized after doing some cross checking that I mistakenly converted to US MPG. I have modified my above posts to UK MPG.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Katakana54,
I have none of the problems in your post above, the auto stop start works as it should( provided the ac, heating, temp etc are allowing it to). Mine does not shudder or slip in any way, in fact it is a really smooth drive. I’m sure one of the folk on here will be able to advise if it’s a problem that needs a visit to the dealer or because the car is so new and needs to drive a few miles. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
New things:
-holding the car lock button on the remote makes all the windows rise up. Tested with driver and right backseat windows.
-there's a light underneath the mirror, in its body (!). Easier to walk around/enter the car at night.

-was ordered without navigation, but it came with it, and also maps
-automatic transmission. No comment here.
-the brightness of the screen seems to be linked to the light bulb phase. If it's off, which still has DTRL activated, it's brighter at night than if it's on low beams. Strange. I tested this at night, in front of a completely dark block.
-the front seats seem to have a small side place that is meant to store an umbrella maybe (?)
-in the boot there's absolutely no wire/harness of sorts that would allow keeping in an upright position the fire extinguisher. Previous focus had an elastic band on the right for the first aid kit, and a Velcro strip on the right hand side.
-there seems to be quite a large space underneath the rear seats. I can get my whole hand underneath the seats. I did not yet make pictures about this, but I will.
-when folder, the rear seats have metal poles/hooks of sorts present on the sides, in the boot side, implying it should be pushed/pulled. Haven't try that yet - had no time to browse the manual and see what's that for.
-two USB ports. Huraaa. I expect the amperage to be the same old 500 mA, but still... two ports.

My one year old Kuga (see sig) has all these !!

Also opens & closes sunroof on mine !

My son has a 2011 Ford Saloon, which also does this, up & down....(y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Kuggly, yes, I also tested with mine and there is the also an "all windows down" function, tested yesterday.
With the car closed, I clicked open once, then clicked again and held the button down until all the windows dropped at the same time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bine ai venit si multi km fara probleme :)

Yup, Business here in Romania is like Edition in the rest of europe, we have something like Titanium and Titanium Business, just like Titanium and Titanium Edition.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wonder why Ford introduce such small cosmetic changes before the Release of a brand new model. You think they’d just let the production run end and call it a day.

Enjoy the Kuga. We are on number 5 at the mo. But who knows what the future holds.......?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder why Ford introduce such small cosmetic changes before the Release of a brand new model. You think they’d just let the production run end and call it a day.

Enjoy the Kuga. We are on number 5 at the mo. But who knows what the future holds.......?
I am also curious what I'll have after Kuga. I was quite keen on that Seat Arona...getting to see stuff outside of the Ford ecosystem, but after 3 test drive cancellations by 2 different distributors...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

Clearing the parts bins probably.

VAG used to be notorious for it in that when an old model was running out certain 'standard' bits disappeared but lots of options got thrown into the mix for free.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts