Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

New Kuga owner

3K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  smartguy69 
#1 ·
Hi and thanks for the add,
I have put a deposit on a 1 owner 2016 2.0 TDCI Titanium X with appearance pack, it's a 180 bhp Powershift and only done 15k.
Very tidy car inside and looks amazing being Tiger Eye.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Nick
welcome to the forum,looks a nice motor,lots of helpful folks on here to help you if you need any advice on the kuga.Im sure someone here can help.when you get the kuga put the details in your signature it will help other forum users when you need any help.

Ross

#6 ·
Nice motor and welcome. Might be an idea to check the service book for the automatic gearbox oil change as it's due at 35,000 miles or 3 years. It's quite important on automatics. Low mileage may suggest it's been a mobility car so perhaps also suggest short runs. If you are buying from a ford dealer and it comes with ford service history then they should have done it but always worth checking.

#10 ·
Yes 3 years and 37,500 would be correct based on 12,500 miles per year but I know some models had a 24 month service interval as it has been queried on here quite a few times. I am not sure if mileage interval for 24 months, possibly 18,000. You should be able to get the gearbox oil service for less than that and prices may vary from ford garage to ford garage and as I discovered with our Vauxhall Mokka, buying the parts from the parts department and getting a labour only price from the service desk, saved me more than £50 on a £220 service so also worth asking.

#14 ·
There are lots of Kuga's for sale and there will always be another. It took me 6 or 7 weeks to find mine and then had a choice of two in the same weekend. I would be concerned about buying a pre 2017 powershift after reading keithmacs' posts. Keith was possibly unlucky but he knows of 40 others he has been in contact with who have had problems with the gearbox and as ford changed it from 2017 onwards it suggests they knew something was wrong. Others have done decent mileage without issue so perhaps suggest some faulty parts but after seeing the design of the gearbox would be enough to keep me away and there have also been other issues with the powershift gearbox fitted to focus and fiesta in other countries.

I wanted a 65 plate as a minimum in white with Sync2. I bought a 15 plate in black with sync 1. FSH and in mint condition and a better deal from a Mitsubishi dealer and not a ford dealer and came with a 12 months warranty. 12 months on and its only had 2 tyres, rear discs and pads. I know the Mitsubishi garage and the car is going back to them for service and mot in 2 weeks.

The car you wanted to buy may be ok but I would be checking the terms and conditions of the warranty and if it was an insurance backed one, like most of them are, I would be asking some questions about the warranty on the gearbox and what is covered and what isn't.

Good luck in your search.

#15 ·
Thought the Powershift gearboxes in the Fiesta and Focus are dry clutch type and the Kuga TDCI is a wet clutch.
They have agreed to service the gearbox if i have the car, they have checked with the warranty company and they will cover the gearbox even thou the service was carried out later than Ford specify, I will be keeping copies of all the emails of what they have agreed.

#16 ·
Good idea. If I remember rightly the gearbox service is only a recommendation but from what I have read on here it is massively important that it's done. Keithmac has the most knowledge on here for the powershift but I thought the powershift was a dry clutch until 2016 and then a wet clutch from 2017 onwards. If he's watching he will either agree or disagree.

Reactions: Nick Walker
#21 ·
Even better choice in my opinion. I know the changed the powershift in 2017 but don't know when from. I did check a few 17 plate cars on etis and notice they were actually manufactured in 2016. It's a shame we can't find the information from the actual build date when the change happened.

Nice colour and I once said I would never have another black car. I prefer it now.

#23 ·
Nothing like getting a different car. After owning 2 black cars in the family at the same time I said never again. However, the Kuga looked very nice when I saw it and now I have a but more time on my hands I don't mind having to towel it off with a micro fibre cloth when I have washed it. Would go black again.

#25 ·
That's a similar looking colour to the wife's Mokka. Quite impressed how the colour doesn't show the much as much as other colours.

#27 ·
That's the wife's. Not a bad car for a Vauxhall lol. I did test drive an Antara before I bought the Kuga. Slightly newer than the Kuga will all the toys, less mileage and £2.5k cheaper. I think it was one of the worst modern cars I have ever driven. No wonder it was cheap. It was only three he a half years old with 35k on the clock and it drove like an old car. A shame as it was a lot f car for the money.

#28 ·
Antara was tow car for a good few years, but never set the world on fire. Shame really my mate has one and loves it.
Most of our stuff is fleet sales Astra's Insignia's Grandland X's and vans. Can't ever remember seeing a new Antara, we collected one and took it to the auctions once.

#29 ·
Yes it was a shame but I think its success, or lack of it, reflected in its resale value. The one I took out had an awful gearbox and you couldn't tell what gear it was going to select as though any spring mechanism which normally centralises the gear lever was either missing or broken. I think Vauxhall could have one better as it tends to do with most of its other models.

#31 ·
I think 8 gears would be too many for me. My manual hardly ever sees 6th. Hopefully Vauxhall don't put plastic spring retainers in their gearboxes like ford did.

#32 ·
I think 8 gears would be too many for me. My manual hardly ever sees 6th. Hopefully Vauxhall don't put plastic spring retainers in their gearboxes like ford did.

Reactions: Nick Walker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.