Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.0 TDCI 180 AWD Titanium X
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for the add,
I have put a deposit on a 1 owner 2016 2.0 TDCI Titanium X with appearance pack, it's a 180 bhp Powershift and only done 15k.
Very tidy car inside and looks amazing being Tiger Eye.
large_LI.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Nick
welcome to the forum,looks a nice motor,lots of helpful folks on here to help you if you need any advice on the kuga.Im sure someone here can help.when you get the kuga put the details in your signature it will help other forum users when you need any help.

Ross

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nick
welcome to the forum,looks a nice motor,lots of helpful folks on here to help you if you need any advice on the kuga.Im sure someone here can help.when you get the kuga put the details in your signature it will help other forum users when you need any help.

Ross
Will do, I should get it next Saturday (y)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome Nick,
+1 to all Ross said above, looks nice in the photos. Not long to wait till Saturday, enjoy it once it arrives.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Nice motor and welcome. Might be an idea to check the service book for the automatic gearbox oil change as it's due at 35,000 miles or 3 years. It's quite important on automatics. Low mileage may suggest it's been a mobility car so perhaps also suggest short runs. If you are buying from a ford dealer and it comes with ford service history then they should have done it but always worth checking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice motor and welcome. Might be an idea to check the service book for the automatic gearbox oil change as it's due at 35,000 miles or 3 years. It's quite important on automatics. Low mileage may suggest it's been a mobility car so perhaps also suggest short runs. If you are buying from a ford dealer and it comes with ford service history then they should have done it but always worth checking.
Yes it has been a Mobility car as the taxation class is still Disabled and h=got to be changed. I will change the gearbox fluid as soon as we get the car even if it has been done before. I am going to take out the dealers 3 yr extended warranty just in case.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes it has been a Mobility car as the taxation class is still Disabled and h=got to be changed. I will change the gearbox fluid as soon as we get the car even if it has been done before. I am going to take out the dealers 3 yr extended warranty just in case.
I know that servicing is mandatory on a mobility car and all services should be up to date although I know on some models the time factor was 24 months which would mean the gearbox oil wouldn't have been changed in 2019. If you plan to change the oil anyway then that's got it covered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that servicing is mandatory on a mobility car and all services should be up to date although I know on some models the time factor was 24 months which would mean the gearbox oil wouldn't have been changed in 2019. If you plan to change the oil anyway then that's got it covered.
I was under the impression the gearbox oil was 3 yrs or 37.5k and was an additional cost of around £400, so i guess they won't of done that

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes 3 years and 37,500 would be correct based on 12,500 miles per year but I know some models had a 24 month service interval as it has been queried on here quite a few times. I am not sure if mileage interval for 24 months, possibly 18,000. You should be able to get the gearbox oil service for less than that and prices may vary from ford garage to ford garage and as I discovered with our Vauxhall Mokka, buying the parts from the parts department and getting a labour only price from the service desk, saved me more than £50 on a £220 service so also worth asking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes 3 years and 37,500 would be correct based on 12,500 miles per year but I know some models had a 24 month service interval as it has been queried on here quite a few times. I am not sure if mileage interval for 24 months, possibly 18,000. You should be able to get the gearbox oil service for less than that and prices may vary from ford garage to ford garage and as I discovered with our Vauxhall Mokka, buying the parts from the parts department and getting a labour only price from the service desk, saved me more than £50 on a £220 service so also worth asking.
I can get the service parts for about £80 and do it myself, i have watched a couple of you tube vids looks easy enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it doesn't look too difficult. Just check the terms and conditions of your extended warranty regarding servicing etc.
Just spoken to the selling garage, it has got full service history but nothing about the gearbox service. So i asked who had done the 3rd service and they gave me the details so i rang them, No gearbox service done, so i think i may be giving it a miss. Maybe even look for a manual instead.

Gutted, but don't want problems a year or so down the line.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There are lots of Kuga's for sale and there will always be another. It took me 6 or 7 weeks to find mine and then had a choice of two in the same weekend. I would be concerned about buying a pre 2017 powershift after reading keithmacs' posts. Keith was possibly unlucky but he knows of 40 others he has been in contact with who have had problems with the gearbox and as ford changed it from 2017 onwards it suggests they knew something was wrong. Others have done decent mileage without issue so perhaps suggest some faulty parts but after seeing the design of the gearbox would be enough to keep me away and there have also been other issues with the powershift gearbox fitted to focus and fiesta in other countries.

I wanted a 65 plate as a minimum in white with Sync2. I bought a 15 plate in black with sync 1. FSH and in mint condition and a better deal from a Mitsubishi dealer and not a ford dealer and came with a 12 months warranty. 12 months on and its only had 2 tyres, rear discs and pads. I know the Mitsubishi garage and the car is going back to them for service and mot in 2 weeks.

The car you wanted to buy may be ok but I would be checking the terms and conditions of the warranty and if it was an insurance backed one, like most of them are, I would be asking some questions about the warranty on the gearbox and what is covered and what isn't.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are lots of Kuga's for sale and there will always be another. It took me 6 or 7 weeks to find mine and then had a choice of two in the same weekend. I would be concerned about buying a pre 2017 powershift after reading keithmacs' posts. Keith was possibly unlucky but he knows of 40 others he has been in contact with who have had problems with the gearbox and as ford changed it from 2017 onwards it suggests they knew something was wrong. Others have done decent mileage without issue so perhaps suggest some faulty parts but after seeing the design of the gearbox would be enough to keep me away and there have also been other issues with the powershift gearbox fitted to focus and fiesta in other countries.

I wanted a 65 plate as a minimum in white with Sync2. I bought a 15 plate in black with sync 1. FSH and in mint condition and a better deal from a Mitsubishi dealer and not a ford dealer and came with a 12 months warranty. 12 months on and its only had 2 tyres, rear discs and pads. I know the Mitsubishi garage and the car is going back to them for service and mot in 2 weeks.

The car you wanted to buy may be ok but I would be checking the terms and conditions of the warranty and if it was an insurance backed one, like most of them are, I would be asking some questions about the warranty on the gearbox and what is covered and what isn't.

Good luck in your search.
Thought the Powershift gearboxes in the Fiesta and Focus are dry clutch type and the Kuga TDCI is a wet clutch.
They have agreed to service the gearbox if i have the car, they have checked with the warranty company and they will cover the gearbox even thou the service was carried out later than Ford specify, I will be keeping copies of all the emails of what they have agreed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good idea. If I remember rightly the gearbox service is only a recommendation but from what I have read on here it is massively important that it's done. Keithmac has the most knowledge on here for the powershift but I thought the powershift was a dry clutch until 2016 and then a wet clutch from 2017 onwards. If he's watching he will either agree or disagree.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts