• 1.5 EcoBoost

Votes: 2 16.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and new to Kuga ownership. I would really appreciate your advice.

I've seen a very nice 2018 ST-Line X at a dealership close to me, 2 owners, full Ford history and 35,000 miles. It's a really nice car all round.
My concerns are with the 1.5 EcoBoost engine (150PS) - the internet seems full of issues with reliability, particularly in North America - but I notice there have been problems here too.
The last thing I want is £15K worth of trouble so I want to choose carefully. I also never really wanted a diesel but it seems that that might be the better choice for this car and I'm OK with waiting for the right one to come along if needs be. I also found the 1.5 EcoBoost to be a bit flat in the Kuga, better than the 1.0 EcoBoost I had in a Fiesta (leased) but nothing much happened unless I revved it quite hard - I didn't check the MPG on the test drive but I can't imagine it being that great if I'm up over 4000rpm. I love the car, how it drives and feels, found it very refined but in your opinions - should I wait for a good 2.0 Tdci to become available or will I be disappointed with the EcoBoost in the long run? If I can live with the lacklustre performance of the 1.5, am I worrying unnecessarily about the engines reliability?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I didn't want another diesel either after some dpf issues with my previous car and pleased to say after 2 years I have had no issues with anything on the car.

If my next car is to be a Kuga the petrol option will not be on the list. My wife likes to rev the nuts off a car to make it go so she would probably like it. Getting lower 20's to a gallon would maybe alter her driving style. Lots of short journeys on mine gives me 36 to a gallon in winter. About 39 when it's warmer and 43/44 on a run and I said I would never buy another diesel car.

Reactions: kernowjim

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the 1.5 petrol, the first petrol for lots of years. I previously had a 2.2 diesel and really noticed the change. The biggest difference for me was joining from slip roads, on the old car you just put your foot down and you could easily reach 70, but the Kuga still does it, but not so easily, but as lots on here have said you are moving two tons with a small engine. I don’t drive many miles now so I changed to a petrol, but if I were buying now I would probably go for another diesel. Mine is an auto and have driven 11467 miles since I have owned it, my mpg average over that time is 25.7, my best mpg on a run is 33.9 and my lowest 17.4. Apart from a water leak into the roof which was covered on warranty it has been a really good car and I would have another although hopefully this car may last till I hang up my licence, although that is was I said with my previous brand new motor.

Reactions: SiJY and smartguy69

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with that. I too have come from a 2.2 Diesel to a 1.5 ecoboost. I was always going to remap mine anyway so wasn't worried about the initial lack of low-down power. It certainly doesn't lack it now after a remap with a big dollop of torque low down now from 2000 rpm and feels not dissimilar to my old S-Max 2.2 (also remapped with a Bluefin). The mpg was always going to be lower - I knew that too - but brand new my car was £5000 off rrp so a bargain and one of the reasons I went for petrol. Th other being no dpf or other related diesel issues either due to my low mileage (under 3k/year all local). I too would have gone for the 2.0 diesel if it made financial sense.

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
@SiJY - £5k is a good saving when buying new and I agree tempting but buying second hand the difference is much less. When I bought mine at just under 4 years old there wasn't much difference between diesel and petrol prices. Buying second hand can be much harder as it took me about 6 weeks to find the one I bought. It would have taken me 30 minutes if buying new lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While I will not make a comment about the performance, I would still recommend the 1.5 gas engine, not due to the potential DPF issues, but just due to my lack of trust related to Diesel emission levels. Mainly based on the VW emission fiasco, I lost trust on Diesel, in whatever incarnation that is (EcoBlue etc.). I just don't want to be one of the people doing this to the population of my town, if I have a choice. I do realize that there might be a hidden gas issue there as well, but I did not see anything as horrible as what VW did.
Secondly, looking at the cities that started to impose Diesel related bans, I feel risk in this area as well, like I might need to pay higher taxes.

There is another reason I'm doing this: I will most surely sell my car at the end of my period in my country, and it just happens that the most used method to get rid of DPF issues in Romania is simply to deactivate it...which will mean again people getting more PM in their lungs. Again, something I'd like to avoid.

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,086 Posts
No problems so far with my 1.5 petrol EcoBoost and I also came from a 2.0 diesel Kuga.

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
180 Posts
I had the same dilemma so bought the petrol, 5 weeks later it was sold and another diesel replaced it.
TBH drive them both and you will soon be buying a diesel version.
This question crops up quite a lot on this forum and we all have our own views but for me the
petrol version is just a waste of time and money.
This is my 4th Kuga and if they only done the petrol version no way would i own one.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
Hi @kernowjim welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps when answering questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @kernowjim welcome to the forum,

Please take a minute to fill out your car model in your signature, it helps when answering questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here.........Welcome to the Forum, Please Read
Hi, I don't have a car to put in the signature yet, hence my question about buying one. If I do buy one, I'll be sure to fill it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to wait for a 2.0 tdci to come up, I'm looking at used and there is no difference between the price of the two. I really didn't want a diesel but there's no choice for a car this size. I can't believe SEAT put the 1.0 3 cylinder in the Ateca, what on earth must that be like?!? So, 2.0 TDCi it is (when I find one)

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
Hi, I don't have a car to put in the signature yet, hence my question about buying one. If I do buy one, I'll be sure to fill it in.
Sorry, I saw new to the forum and Kuga ownership. Too keen, must try harder 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to wait for a 2.0 tdci to come up, I'm looking at used and there is no difference between the price of the two. I really didn't want a diesel but there's no choice for a car this size. I can't believe SEAT put the 1.0 3 cylinder in the Ateca, what on earth must that be like?!? So, 2.0 TDCi it is (when I find one)
If your name indicates where you live, I would not recommend the petrol. 😭😭.
Anything uphill kills the mpg on mine, but after having driven diseasels for the last 25 years it is nice to be back in a petrol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your name indicates where you live, I would not recommend the petrol. 😭😭.
Anything uphill kills the mpg on mine, but after having driven diseasels for the last 25 years it is nice to be back in a petrol.
Hi yeah I'm in Cornwall and you're right there are some proper steep hills - I'm thinking the diesel is the right motor for me

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi yeah I'm in Cornwall and you're right there are some proper steep hills - I'm thinking the diesel is the right motor for me
First trip to Plymouth in my petrol beast was ok until the A38 from Exeter down. Then a long weekend running around West Devon and east cornwall, I returned 27mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts