Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Ignition on, current out of battery, peaks at 145 amps for about 2 seconds and then drops to 68 amps. This current remains while ever engine is not started. Battery volts 11.3V.
Are those figures right Phil- is it to do with the diesel glow plugs? It must surely time out as your battery won't like 68 Amps being drawn for long with the engine not running.

According to ForScan I get just over 10 Amps drawn in similar conditions (entertainment and HVAC turned off.)

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Oh yes I suspect its the glowplugs and auxiliaries as I was going through the normal start procedure as an example of whats is taken out of the battery when starting and didnt wait for any timeout I'd hoped it would. I've a cold engine this morning so I'll check.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Well that was a serious omission, forgot that the rear cabin heater should have been disconnected. so did the check again and amended the pre start values by 28 amps which will now concure with your's David. See amended post.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The issue is lead acid batteries can take a long time to charge fully. Both my chargers will appear to charge the battery fully in well under a day, but from checking with ForScan (and going by the temp drop of the CTek charger's case) my battery takes a lot longer to actually be fully charged. My battery being probably 4yrs old wouldn't help.
Out of interest, I left my CTek 7 Amp charger on the battery for around 4 days. I just checked with ForScan and it indicated 100% SOC. It's either estimated that figure or the current (with charger connected) dropped to below 100mA as required for the BCM to do it's regular "calibration". So my 4+ year old battery might still have a bit of life left in it.

Leaving it charging for around 24hrs was giving me best figures of around 80% IIRC. The charger always indicates the battery is full well before 24hrs.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts