Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think, for what it’s worth, that the big electrical snowball has started rolling down that big climate hill and it going to keep getting bigger.
there’s more choice of hybrids than full leccy vehicle so maybe manufacturers are aware of the lack of infrastructure in the UK. Japan May have alreadychanged cos that’s how they are, leaders in stuff like that.
we of course are like our diet (for most) stodgy, slow, grumpy, lack imagination and live somewhat in a bye gone era of being stoic in our approach. The leaders of that kind of thinking are falling of the edge of the world making way for the those with fresher more modern ideas.

Just my thoughts.
I don't think this country has ever been very innovative where design and technology has been concerned. The Japanese finished our motorcycle industry and electronics industry and possibly the car industry as well. It's no wonder though as the British concept used to be what was good 10 years ago is still fine today. That's fine in some respects but certainly not in today's world.

27 years ago I was fortunate to go for a factory visit at the new triumph motorcycle factory at Hinckley. For lunch I was sat opposite their technical director and we had quite a nice chat about how he was poached from Honda UK to go and work for the new company and how they had to go abroad to have the bikes designed because there wasn't anyone in this country who was up for the job. Their production set up was amazing and the amount of gear they made in house so they had full control.

I don't think our unions helped our manufacturing sectors either and by the time things were sorted the rest of the world has moved in and to be fair to to them, better products at a lesser price. Expect the price of the Kuga to go up if we exit Europe with a no deal and our pound drops. I work in transport and manufacturing and can see that yet again this little country will get exploited even more by countries that have the euro as their currency.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
"I don't think this country has ever been very innovative where design and technology has been concerned. "

Sorry, I totally disagree. We are masters of innovation, particularly with motor vehicles. Else why would all but one F1 team base themselves in the UK and why would three of the world's leading manufacturers have the design leads in the UK

What we are absolutely CRAP at is exploiting and capitalising on our innovation and design.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
"I don't think this country has ever been very innovative where design and technology has been concerned. "

Sorry, I totally disagree. We are masters of innovation, particularly with motor vehicles. Else why would all but one F1 team base themselves in the UK and why would three of the world's leading manufacturers have the design leads in the UK

What we are absolutely CRAP at is exploiting and capitalising on our innovation and design.
I think F1 is in a totally different world to compare with to be honest. It is a world that most could only dream about seeing and touching one of those cars never mind owning and driving one. The same could be said of the electric motorcycles, developed in this country and will lap the Isle of Man in excess of 100mph. They are just prototypes and not mass produced items. I was referring to products most of us need and can afford and not something that is just a prototype even if some of their technology does eventually drift into the car industry. Our country sat back on its laurels many years ago and let the rest of the world take over starting with Japan in the 70's, long before we imported cheap crap from China. Thats my reference to inovation. John Bloor made a success of Triumph motorcycles when the previous owners of the company couldnt. Why is that. Because he had a dream, made it happen, looked at the competition and has been innovative in his future designs and responding to the market trends, something we failed to do at the time. We have become a service industry specialing in communications, IT and finance. Yes we do have some very clever people but our manufacturing industry has just about died compared to what it was. Even James Dyson moved his manufacturing away from the UK. It is quite ironic that his design was turned down by all of the vacuum manufacturers he approached so set up his own company. I bet those manufacturers were kicking themselves later. That's the point I was trying to get over regarding lack of innovation and not about the clever people we do have who probably got kicked back because there could be some risk of going forward with a new idea. Look around your living room and tell me where your TV is from, your laptop, your mobile phone. The sofa you are sat on, your carpets, the car in your drive. It has an English ford badge on it but possibly came from Valencia. Your TV depending on the brand will have been assembled somewhere in eastern europe, possibly with all your other electronics. Your carpets possibly from Holland and your sofa from China or maybe Italy. And lastly if you have a Dyson it will have come from Malaysia. 30 to 40 years ago all those goods that were available then will have been made in this country. That is the point I am trying to make. 27 years ago when I met with triumph their reaction was they were turned away by quite a few British development engineering companies and had to go abroad where they were more creative. There words not mine. The first triumph Hinckley motorcycles were designed in Japan but built in Britain. Quite ironic really looking at its initial success and I bought one.

I am an F1 fan by the way but interesting that none of the F1 teams actually use a British engine and possibly that all the decent car designers work for F1 teams which is why we have gaps between our rear seats and between the load cover and the tailgate as well as water ingress on our Kuga's. What I want to know is when can I have a 1.6 engine that develops 800+ bhp and would my Kuga hold itself together

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Also SUV's are a common choice for the disabled drivers as they are so easy to get in and out of.
Yes, I've got a form of arthritis. I can get sacroiliac pain (pain in the joint at the base of the spine and pelvis)- that can make getting in and out of vehicles very painful. The extra height of an SUV reduces the pain on bad days.

(So there goes my dreams of ever owning a Lotus!)

·
Registered
501 Posts
ground clearance, boot space, towing ability, iAWD and can be used as a economical car.

That's why I bought the Kuga and a SUV.

The MK3 just looks like a blown up Focus aimed at the car end not the 'work car' market.
(I had a small van, failed at being a car, failed on a bit of off roading, & struggled on certain towing jobs)
[And the £250 road tax just because it was a van got up my nose (1.6hdi)]

As a mech Eng graduate of years ago, we have all left the sector to do something else, so the pool of good ones becomes less. We are not a mass production country anymore, too much red tape & overheads, (Dyson moved!)
But we are good at innovation, Rolls Royce trent engine is one. (A turbine blade grown from a single grain of material so no cracks!)
Can't build (or fund) or own new Nuclear Power stations anymore..

Lotus: mainly a design house, at one time designed diesel engines for the likes of Nissan & Toyota UK. and 'help' other manufacturers.
Remember Ford in bed with PSA, that's why we have Peugeot engines in the Kuga.

And last off: Transits moved to Turkey. Rusted well from Southampton.. Now just fall apart!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know mpg is a big thing for people and I know this has been said before..........but people loose sight of what the Kuga is. Prior to the VW scandal on emissions, which they drew the mpg comprisions into the mix, owners have literally taken what the manufacturers have listed about the fuel consumption.
I think mines good as well and it ticks all the boxes but you can’t have everything.
I second that... there're no shortcuts. If you want a BIG, heavy, solidly built car with enough power to enjoy "sporty" drive and/or ability to tow a caravan... well, it won't have a great MPG.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, Smartguy69, that is a rant and you have taken the trophy from Riperoo! And well said that chap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first impression of the new Kuga was that I simply didn’t like its looks.

It lacks everything I like about the MK2 facelift – boxy-ness and that classical SUV look.

The new Kuga is all rounded, the back is almost identical to 2019 Toyota RAV4, while the front is indistinguishable from the KIA Sportage, lest the blue oval logo…

So, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Obviously, tech-wise it’s the next gen car, so no point arguing it’s a more advanced, better automobile.

Would I trade it for my current (4 months old Kuga) – honestly, I don’t know… the looks put me off, but if the driving experience, coupled with significantly better MPG would turn to be the case, probably yes.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wow, Smartguy69, that is a rant and you have taken the trophy from Riperoo! And well said that chap.
No not really and it's hard to have a decent debate without things coming across a bit harsh. I just think it's a shame that we were a world leader in most things and then we take our eye off the ball through complacency. Just look at the sports we have invented and then the rest of the world take it and whoops our R.ses. At least we can produce numerous motor sport champions. We are all individuals and have our own opinions and I respect those of others even if I think they are wrong. I can only go off my own experiences.

Anyone want to chat about Brexit lol.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Anyone want to chat about Brexit lol.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline.
No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

:p

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think Ripperoo has been messing with some super glue and stuck his fingers together.

Back on track with the thread. I not seen a new Kuga yet but someone said it looked like the Mazda CX5. I like the CX5 and after I have owned a Mazda I can tell you the load cover will fit the gap and doubt very much if it will be letting water in above the fuse box in 10 years time. At least we cannot blame a British work force for that. Were the first Kuga's built in Germany. Please don't say it was the UK.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline.
No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

:p
Are you certain you have allowed for enough time. I may just be able to afford a new Kuga by that date providing I save well. Back on track look.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think Ripperoo has been messing with some super glue and stuck his fingers together.

Back on track with the thread. I not seen a new Kuga yet but someone said it looked like the Mazda CX5. I like the CX5 and after I have owned a Mazda I can tell you the load cover will fit the gap and doubt very much if it will be letting water in above the fuse box in 10 years time. At least we cannot blame a British work force for that. Were the first Kuga's built in Germany. Please don't say it was the UK.

No, the Kuga has never been built in the UK.

The early Mk.1's were all built in Saarlouis in Germany.

Going back on your earlier post;
Carpets: mine came from a mill in Yorkshire
Sofas: Welsh cowhide and assembled/made in Treorchy

You are right though about consumer electronics, apart from really high-end audiophile kit nothing from the UK any more.

Hinckley is my wife's home town and is now only one of the Triumph production facilities so popular has the brand become. The others are in Mexico and Thailand (from where they export to Japan!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
The MK2 / 2.5 production goes smth. like this:

The upper body and interior come from Detroit, US.

Powertrains are manufactured by Ford Dagenham, in the UK.

The transmissions are manufactured in Blanquefort, France.

Final assembly for European models is conducted at the Ford Valencia Plant in Spain.

·
Registered
685 Posts
No, the Kuga has never been built in the UK.

The early Mk.1's were all built in Saarlouis in Germany.

Going back on your earlier post;
Carpets: mine came from a mill in Yorkshire
Sofas: Welsh cowhide and assembled/made in Treorchy

You are right though about consumer electronics, apart from really high-end audiophile kit nothing from the UK any more.

Hinckley is my wife's home town and is now only one of the Triumph production facilities so popular has the brand become. The others are in Mexico and Thailand (from where they export to Japan!)
Are you sure there are still some mills left in Yorkshire. When I worked for joinery company years ago many of them were being converted into yuppie apartments and very nice they were too. I know there are some left but when I was in transport we delivered countless number of carpets from Holland. That's interesting about Triumph. I haven't checked track of their history really since 1992 which was when I bought my trophy. Lovely bike but soooo heavy. Kept it for 6 years though. I did nearly buy one of their 600 models a few years back and made some tentative enquiries and see they have done quite well in the various supersport championships. My wife tells me I am now too old to ride motorbike but I do still have one in bits in the garage which is on my agenda to restore at some point. A bit of a coincidence your wife coming from Hinckley and who would have thought that a redundant motorcycle brand would eventually export to the country which perhaps had a play in its original demise.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, with nothing to do I thought I'd troll round to the local Ford dealer to see if the new Kuga was there, which it was. It looked a lot better in the flesh than the pictures... The seating position in the ST Line on display wasn't appreciably different from the existing, I wondered if shoving the seat back to my comfortable seating position would have an impact (I'm 6' 3"), and it doesn't. I can sit easily in the rear with plenty of leg and headroom, and whilst it looks a lot lower it isn't. With roof rails it's only 7mm lower, and also it's only 80mm longer (my drive is extremely length limited).

As far as cockpit is concerned, I was amazed that from the driving seat you don't notice the "standup" screen. Getting back into mine, the screen is pretty much exactly the same position... There's more storage under the middle of the dash, as the console isn't continuous as with the current car.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts