Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2015 Kuga (2.0 180 4x4) is losing coolant, but very very slowly. About a pint a month i'd say. There are no obvious leaks anywhere but you can smell it when the weather warms up. I initially thought it may be the seal on the expansion tank cap, but that wouldn't give that familiar 'curry' smell of hot coolant would it? Whatever it is seems to be on that side of the engine. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,387 Posts
Hi @Astroboy - I know you are not a new member but can you update you signature with your car's details. It will save you having to tell us what you have each time you want to post. Details below.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

I only know of one other member reporting a coolant leak on his diesel Kuga and that was balders who replaced the radiator.

@balders - would you like to say where yours was leaking from.

Reactions: Astroboy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All updated. Apologies, I should have done that ages ago :)

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
344 Posts
I had the same on my car but went back under warranty. They replaced the ERG stating that is was leaking internally.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
Seems to be a fairly common fault EGR coolant leak, I wonder how they diagnose it?.

I suppose if engine is bone dry externally then it's either that, headgasket or crack in cylinder head?.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been watching a few videos on EGR and cooler replacement and its well within my capabilities. I've got a fibre optic camera I can stick in there to see if I can spot anything. If it was an internal leak i'm going to assume i'd not be able to smell is as the coolant would be leaking into the EGR being cycled through the engine. It's probably something annoying like a gasket, pin hole in a hose or a clamp not seated correctly. We've had the car three years now and it's always done it, but now we are coming to the end of our lease we've decided to keep it, so I suppose I'd better fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just had a quick read through. Advanced Radiators are only a mile and a half and I have an account with them, which may prove handy lol

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
344 Posts
I do not no what type of EGR you have but the one on my engine was big and looked expensive compared to the one I had on my MK1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not no what type of EGR you have but the one on my engine was big and looked expensive compared to the one I had on my MK1.
Doubtless whichever one it is, it'll likely be the biggest most expensive one lol. That said unless there is a crack in the body the cooler has no moving parts so my guess would be the gasket between the cooler and EGR is weeping. We'll see though...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an update to share... I stuck my fibre optic camera in through the bumper slats and fed it up to the top right hand corner. The quality of the pics isn't brilliant but I think you'll draw the same conclusions as me. I think it's new rad time
20210610_155906.jpg

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,221 Posts
Good to see you eventually got an answer to the leak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts