Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
301 - 320 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My single scroll 2.0 EcoBoost is on lifetime average of 29 mpg.
90% of the journeys are by my wife, so it only goes to either shops or friends, always driven in sport mode.
+ our petrol is half the cost of the UK. I didn't buy it to save petrol, I bought it because it's the most powerful SUV in it's class.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What does petrol cost over there? We pay R 17.61 per litre (last time I filled up, always changing here) for 95 ULP. About 1.55 AUD per litre, according to today's rates.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It depends what day you buy petrol.
In Australia they have a floating fuel cycle, so the cost differs from cheap day to costly day, you just never know when the price will shoot up.
I filled up last week on Thursday and it was the bottom of the cycle @ $1.45 per litre. At the moment it's around $1.70 per litre but that could drop tomorrow, or the next day.
It just depends if the oil companies have a glut they need to get rid of quickly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ours changes on the first Wednesday of the new month, very seldom seems to go down nowadays. We probably going to be on 20 ZAR/litre soon. Cheers.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,157 Posts
It depends what day you buy petrol.
In Australia they have a floating fuel cycle, so the cost differs from cheap day to costly day, you just never know when the price will shoot up.
I filled up last week on Thursday and it was the bottom of the cycle @ $1.45 per litre. At the moment it's around $1.70 per litre but that could drop tomorrow, or the next day.
It just depends if the oil companies have a glut they need to get rid of quickly.
Wow, dont know how to manage to pay that much per litre,🤣🤣. $1.45 converts to about 0.79 GBP, half of what we currently pay at about GBP £1.45, about $2.65 AD, and currently increasing almost daily

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,741 Posts
That's because we get exploited with fuel duty. The media also appears to be quite selective in what it gives us and never seems to compare us with other countries and their rises in costs. The current rise in fuel is blamed on the wholesale price in the rise of oil, the same excuse given for recent energy increases to gas. Yet those increases don't seem to be as bad in other countries.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of second hand cars going up because soon you will need a loan just to fill it up. I am really glad I work from home. When all cars are electric it will see where the fuel companies are with petrol and diesel prices.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
I’m listing this post as a friendly non fuel gender non binary driver.
Either way we are stuffed. There are Pros and Cons for either and the way the car manages it mpg/emissions.

Fuel duty must be a right earner for those in charge at 10/11 Pudding Street. Wasn’t it just a short while ago they said (collectively that is) that all fuel duty would go directly in slush fund totally for the upkeep of the road networks? Still have pot holes around here.

For the whole of mankind to help save the world we have to rethink on how we travel or our expectations. Filling the kuga up, driving to the south of France (fish wars permitting) is very do-able in a single day.

If we want to go electric then we will have readjust and think that 150 miles might be the max before a several hour charge up. A 40k Tesla might add a few more miles before a charge but it will need one.

I watched a video on utube the other week with Quentin Wilson, ex billy burglar and Top Gear presenter. He did that very same suggestion and drove to France. He did long and short charges to get him to there. Some of them turned out be to be very expensive but was the very high charge rates that he could get.
There is still a long way to go on the present and future power sources and I think will be after my life time. Hopefully another 30 odd years please.

·
7,741 Posts
@Psshaw - unfortunately profit and greed will always prevail. Watch our electricity prices sky rocket when there are more electric cars on the road. Isn't it true that 1% of the world's population owns 99% of the world's wealth. That's not right is it. I guess it's a case of the needs of the few must exceed the needs of the many. Oh dear, it sounds like I am turning into a communist. I do like the colour red.....

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
@Psshaw - unfortunately profit and greed will always prevail. Watch our electricity prices sky rocket when there are more electric cars on the road. Isn't it true that 1% of the world's population owns 99% of the world's wealth. That's not right is it. I guess it's a case of the needs of the few must exceed the needs of the many. Oh dear, it sounds like I am turning into a communist. I do like the colour red.....
Comrade Smarty. It has a certain, “Je me sais quoi” or in English, a certain, elusive quality.
you like a rant and rave on the podium as well. 😁

·
7,741 Posts
I prefer the quieter life.

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,157 Posts
Ah yes. Just updated my car details as was feeling a little left out. Hope I haven’t overdone it.
Convinced you’ve missed summit there Phil, I’ll have a think

Reactions: NigelB

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
1,160 Posts
Hydrogen is the way to go 👍

·
7,741 Posts
Hydrogen is the way to go 👍
Nah, dilithium fuel cell.

At least with hydrogen there should be enough raw material to refine from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What the **** is wrong with my Kuga?

Just filled it up a couple of days ago and today noticed the fuel gauge was @ nearly the 3/4 mark.

I knew I hadn't been far, so checked the odometer = 51miles!surprise:

That was whilst diving in just normal drive mode

So today, whilst in normal drive, I couldn't get it past 28.5mpg.

I then switched to sport mode and the mpg actually went up slightly and tipped over 30mpg.

Ended up doing a 100 mile round trip on mostly fast A roads (40s/50s/60s) and could only achieve 35mpg, driving sensibly in normal drive mode.

A diesel in 2019 = 35mpg on a run? Summat cannot be right, surely?

If this is the going rate, then there cannot be any way Ford have achieved the necessary economy to get the figures required for the tax rate for the Kuga 2.0 (180) AWD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 1.5 diesel kuga.. cannot get it much above 46mpg. 4 new dunlops.. got it from 43 to 46.. quite concerting as the 1.5 focus acheived 55 mpg until i put davanti tyres which dropped it by 7mpg. Car runs lovely. So im a bit disapointed i cant get near to 50.. perhaps when the summer comes it may improve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why does it appear to be us chaps that are concerned about mpg. Can’t say I’ve ever heard the a female gripe about mpg.

And there’s none on the forum saying much. There must be some lady owners who can give another view about it.
Female point of view here.
I gripe about mpg. Less than I used too thought! But still!
Kuga will do around 45ish mpg on a longer run on petrol- which I can survive. Coming from a GLA200 that would not touch 25mpg even if I pushed- I will take it! What really frustrates me at the moment is how badly the electric miles dropped in the colder temperatures. Full charge- between 18 and 20 - thats a huge drop from pretty realistic 40 in warmer conditions. For me- it means charging every night which in the current climate and prices- turns out to be pretty pricey! Yes, if I could swap suppliers- I would- but ours have gone bust and we cant atm.
Great times for an electric car eh?🙈
I am well known for moaning about my cars but in all honesty- not expected the combined electric/petrol cost to be quite so much![/QUOTE]

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yes it appears that we are all having the utility companies slap us hard.

Your petrol is giving more than my diesel but others report the same, which is good news. Older 2.5 petrols would have been mid to low 20s. Probably as that kind of engine was stuck in a car that had a certain type of driver usually wearing some diving boots.

As to the electric driving range or lack of due to cold weather….things can only get better and come spring, you’ll be on here bragging about how many miles you get on a charge.

👍

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
Hi @peterwatson900,

Why not pop over to our Newbies Section and introduce yourself, while you’re there, you can read the Site Rules and fill out your car model in your signature. It helps us when answering your questions and saves you having to type it in all the time. Details can be found here…..Announcement - Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
164 Posts
Female point of view here.
I gripe about mpg. Less than I used too thought! But still!
Kuga will do around 45ish mpg on a longer run on petrol- which I can survive. Coming from a GLA200 that would not touch 25mpg even if I pushed- I will take it! What really frustrates me at the moment is how badly the electric miles dropped in the colder temperatures. Full charge- between 18 and 20 - thats a huge drop from pretty realistic 40 in warmer conditions. For me- it means charging every night which in the current climate and prices- turns out to be pretty pricey! Yes, if I could swap suppliers- I would- but ours have gone bust and we cant atm.
Great times for an electric car eh?🙈
I am well known for moaning about my cars but in all honesty- not expected the combined electric/petrol cost to be quite so much!
[/QUOTE]
Pretty much identical to my experience! Same mpg and ev range, and yes tell me about the energy suppliers.. im trying desperately to switch to an EV tariff. But I do think the fuel economy is pretty good for the size of the car, and I'm looking forward to the summer months when the ev range will almost double.

Reactions: JMH04
301 - 320 of 336 Posts