Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

Some of you may remember I fitted the Ford Sat Nav unit into my Kuga earlier on in the year.

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/travelpilot-fx-and-power-button_topic7995_page1.html

To complete this upgrade I just needed the larger screen instrument cluster.

I have been waiting for one to come up on ebay in excellent condition for months and last week I thought I had struck lucky with a £68.00 bargain.

Cluster turned up but unfortunately the main black surround was damaged. Luckily this is the same on all clusters regardless of LCD screen size, you just need to swap over the silver cover in the middle.

So today I removed my cluster from the car and set to swapping over the damaged part with the perfect one of my cluster.

I fitted the new large screen version, loaded my data into it, changed the mileage and vin, which all worked perfectly, so I now how the large screen cluster all fitted and working!

Before (taken several months ago)

After

Sat Nav info working (this had to be programmed in with ELM)

I now have ECO mode too as the new cluster has a later software version than my original cluster. I am not too fussed about this feature though.

All in all a cheap and easy upgrade! Now just to retro fit the OEM xenons, headlamp washers and levelling system!

Edited by: minimadgriff

·
Registered
340 Posts
nice jobgriff

looks ten times better thanthe old cluster. The red lights looks good as well

bill
Edited by: bill3

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Superb job mate!

Looks like an OEM fit

Regards Jez

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I like the update you have made. But I'd like to hear more about the leveling system you are planning to install. What system and how?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps. I would highly recommend this upgrade, it is so much nicer to use and look at than the small version.

Hi Tarmo,

I am not sure yet about the levelling.

My car even though it has halogen headlights has the engine bay loom for Xenons, I even have the wiring and connector for the front level sensor.

But it looks like I don't have the wiring behind the dash for the headlight levelling module. This is where it becomes tricky as I would have run all the wiring from the module to the GEM and fuse box. This does look like it could be a bit of a horrible job to do.

So I might use the Hella levelling kit you found but wire it into the original Xenon headlight levelling motor and hide the module so it all looks like a factory fit. Edited by: minimadgriff

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
With the Hella kit there is only one issue I have found. The original Ford OEM light units have leveling motors with 4 wires. But the Hella kit has motors with 3 wires. I'm going to wait until the parts are all here and then try if I can wire the Hella kit using the OEM motors. Because it looks to me that the 4 wires go to 3 wires when they reach the connector. I might get a few photos to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you got your Hella kit already? Do the motors look the same fitment?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well...the OEM motors have the wire connector at one side of the motor. Hella kit has wire connector at the back.So physically the Hella kit motor is not plug and play. I can make a few pictures once I have the light unit taken apart. Right now I am messing with the glue that holds the lens to the back frame.
However if I can get the Hella connector to connect the OEM motor and WORK then I wont need the Hella motors.
I must check how the wiring is going.
By the way the bulb codes on the Halogen light unit are 100% identical to the Bi-Xenon light unit codes. This means that you CAN legally mount xenon low beam bulbs to the halogen unit.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How comes you are taking the headlight apart?

Some pictures would be great, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sure thing. I want to upgrade the xenon projectors. At this time they are Hella E55 models but I will be upgrading to the Hella EvoX-R type. This should be almost like the ''Rolls Royce'' of Xenon projectors.
And also I want to have the D2S bulb socket. And what I said earlier. I can't change the motors with the light closed. Also I might paint something in there. Like custom reflectors or such.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=92

Once I will have all the parts, I'll make a how-to with many pictures. And I would believe this should happen within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh bugger, so you can't get the motor out without taking the light apart? That's annoying.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yes. That is very annoying. This is why I want to try if I can get the OEM motor working with the Hella kit. So I wont use Hella motors. This I will know soon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi all can anyone give a date when the MK1 Kuga's changed design ? Take this instrument panel to the larger one, on mine it has it already, also it has the head lamp levelling too !

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kuga's had this from day one of them being built but you only got the large screen if you had Sat Nav installed at the factory when the car was new.
You will only have auto levelling if your car has factory fitted Xenons. If your car has halogen headlights you will have a manual adjuster next to the headlight switch.

Hope this helps,

Ben
Edited by: minimadgriff

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Buckie4U said:
Hi all can anyone give a date when the MK1 Kuga's changed design ? Take this instrument panel to the larger one, on mine it has it already, also it has the head lamp levelling too !
The design didn't change, the small info display is on those models without factory fitted sat nav and the larger info display is for those with factory fitted sat nav. Out of interest how did you find out that you had the headlamp levelling fitted?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm getting there, I'm just so over whelmed with this car I've taken an interest in how it works so therefore playing about with it , yes like a kid with a new toy.

Gaz the headlights regarding the headlight levelling. It's by the light control, I turned it up and the beam went up on the garage door, turned it down and they went down. hope that helps.

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Buckie cheers for the reply & good to know you're having fun enjoying your Kuga FYI there's 2 different types of headlight levelling which is why I asked the question.

On Kugas with halogen headlight there's a manual adjustment which is exactly as you described.

But on Kugas with Xenon headlights (and is what Minimadgriff & Tarmo have been discussing in this thread) the headlights adjust and level themselves automatically with no human input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah, got you. Are the Xenon better ? Also with "self" levelling, if your going down a steep hill will they "level" and take the beam off the road ? just a thought.

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
No the levelling is based on the weight within the car more weight inside any car forces the back end down and the front end up so on the Kuga with Xenons the lights adjust automatically and on Kugas with halogen lights you have to do this manually.

IMO as someone with Xenons fitted they are far better than standard halogen, they're a lot brighter and cleaner light and throw more out to the side of the lens but as the chaps have been discussing in this and other threads it's not an easy job to retro fit Xenon headlights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts