Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting the mk3 kuga 1.5 diesel auto. Does anyone have one and what is it like to drive, is it sluggish? What would it be compared to! Not sure budget will stretch to the 2l but no dealers seem to have 1.5 auto to test drive. Would the mk2 be similar in terms of engine performance?

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,689 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pickleburt.
Plenty of friendly helpful people on here to answer ALL of your questions matey, be patient and a nice admin man will be along shortly to assist you in your quest for knowledge.
The Kuga is NOT a sports car for starter's, but after a short take off they do like the road and drive very nice and have a very good lifespan.

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
136 Posts
Looking at getting the mk3 kuga 1.5 diesel auto. Does anyone have one and what is it like to drive, is it sluggish? What would it be compared to! Not sure budget will stretch to the 2l but no dealers seem to have 1.5 auto to test drive. Would the mk2 be similar in terms of engine performance?
I’ve a 2020 plate MK3 1st edition 1.5ltr diesel manual. Like you I was concerned that it maybe under powered, but it has an engine management button that switches the engines behaviour between Normal, Eco, Slippery conditions and Sport. Most of the time I just use the normal setting for everyday driving (motorway and urban) but when I want a bit more get-up-go I switch to Sport. As for MPG, the Kuga is showing an average fuel consumption of 59 MPG over a 8week period of motorway and around town driving conditions. Overall I’m happy, but I don’t tow an aluminium box or haul kids around town, it’s just me and the wife.

Edit….forgot to mention Theo the grumpy 4yr old Scottiepoo dog, who sits in the back.

Reactions: Pickledburt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve a 2020 plate MK3 1st edition 1.5ltr diesel manual. Like you I was concerned that it maybe under powered, but it has an engine management button that switches the engines behaviour between Normal, Eco, Slippery conditions and Sport. Most of the time I just use the normal setting for everyday driving (motorway and urban) but when I want a bit more get-up-go I switch to Sport. As for MPG, the Kuga is showing an average fuel consumption of 59 MPG over a 8week period of motorway and around town driving conditions. Overall I’m happy, but I don’t tow an aluminium box or haul kids around town, it’s just me and the wife.

Edit….forgot to mention Theo the grumpy 4yr old Scottiepoo dog, who sits in the back.
Thanks for reply, is it really slow pulling off etc, I’m not looking for sporty car but was concerned that the engine was small for the size of car.

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
136 Posts
Thanks for reply, is it really slow pulling off etc, I’m not looking for sporty car but was concerned that the engine was small for the size of car.
Only you can answer that question, I think you need to have a test drive of a 1.5ltr diesel Kuga before committing to buying one. The Kuga is not a speed machine and won’t win the traffic light drag race, but it will get you around in comfort

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Pickledburt - I have my own opinions on engine sizes and I have never been happy with smaller engines propelling heavy masses. You do have a positive review from @The Painter above.

It looks like driving the 1.5 and 2 litre side by side is going to be a difficult option certainly in automatic. In the mk2 the 1.5 diesel was extremely economical which appears to have carried over to the mk3 and one owner I remember saying he dropped from the 2 litre to a 1.5 and could tell little difference. I am not sure if that was manual or automatic.

If the new 1.5 diesel is only 120bhp then that would be a no from me.

Reactions: Pickledburt

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
629 Posts
Yep both MK2.5 & Mk.3 are 120PS - but there's always the Bluefin...

Note: the Power and Torque numbers are for the 2.0 engine & not for the 1.5 it seems...

These are the correct Power and Torque numbers:

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
Ford Kuga Mk3 1.5 EcoBlue 120 PS 8 Speed Automatic ST-Line X Editon. ecs as at 5 Oct
5 Posts
I've been driving the above from March this year. Previous vehicle was Ford C-Max 2l Titanium petrol automatic. I'm pleased with the car overall. I don't find it sluggish. I looked at the 2l but the dealer said, despite the difference in BHP, it made little difference. My wife and I are the only passengers normally but frequent trips to our caravan mean we are loaded with gear and no complaints.
I normally return between 47 and 50 mpg and use it mainly on journeys of 50+ miles on normal mode. I must admit I have purposely been accelerating and cruising more than normal and it hasn't disappointed. At this time of year, the AC is always on and we use the heated seats for back problems, something I at first thought we wouldn't use. But it does obviously reduce fuel consumption. Wheels are 19 so a bit noisy. I haven't tried the different terrain modes but it looks very practical. Sometimes I use the paddles but unless you're in the right revs, IT decides what gear you should be in should I just use the automatic.

·
Registered
2020 KUGA 2.5 PHEV ST-Line First Edition 5dr CVT
6 Posts
I have a 2020 PHEV which has 2.5 petrol engine. With both engines kicking in. it does go off the lights well. up to the legal limit naturally.

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
629 Posts
Saying that I have surprised many a car with my small petrol engine 1.5 ecoboost Kuga which has been remapped. Saw off a Mercedes 320 4matic today who couldn't keep up. The bonus of no AWD or Auto box = lighter Kuga & with 200+ PS. Shifts really well from standstill and through the gears providing you keep the revs up & now the temperature is dropping. Still manage 33mpg locally too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi we been looking for a new mrk 3 looked at all the power trains, this weekend we are putting in a order for 2.0lt mhev st spec. see how it goes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts