Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

2001 - 2017 of 2017 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did a run to Stockport from North Essex yesterday, back today. Haven't topped up yet to do a fill to fill, but "the computer says" 48.9 mpg for 490 miles via A120,M11,A1, M18, M1and Woodhead pass, and back... With all the average speed cameras I set CC at 72 mph on those roads. The "up" trip was 5 hrs dead with about a 20 min stop, back the same with a shorter stop

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did a run to Stockport from North Essex yesterday, back today. Haven't topped up yet to do a fill to fill, but "the computer says" 48.9 mpg for 490 miles via A120,M11,A1, M18, M1and Woodhead pass, and back... With all the average speed cameras I set CC at 72 mph on those roads. The "up" trip was 5 hrs dead with about a 20 min stop, back the same with a shorter stop
That's a huge difference to mine. 4wd to 2wd plus I have quantum upgrade, must admit my Mk1 awd with the same upgrade would have been approx. 43mpg on the same run. No matter what is tried this is the best out of a Mk2 that I can achieve.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Roadworks, roadworks, ruddy roadworks.

As if London traffic was not bad enough all four routes away from my home now have temporary traffic lights and contrflows.

It has dragged my mpg down to below 38mpg around town.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Filled up today and the brim to brim consumption was 49.22 MPG... thoroughly amazed and happy 570.9 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you just taking the computer reading for the MPG or working it out from the actual fuel purchased.
I am keeping a running total of what I have put in and keeping an eye on what the trip computer is saying between each fill. When towing (small caravan), I get 30.5 mpg actual, though the comp thinks it should be 36.7. Without the van I get 35 actual against 42 on the trip computer. We only fill up once a month or so, so will take a while to get a proper pattern, but seems to me the trip computer is about 11 percent out.

Although not terrible this is about the same as I got from a mk1 Freelander 2.0 TDCi, so the Ford 2.0 TDCi 150 (2015) appears to be a bit behind the curve on fuel consumption. My previous Focus 1.5 TDCi had significantly better consumption (over and above the expected difference with sizes). That regularly achieved better than 65 mpg on an 80 mile daily round trip.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Over the last three months I have been keeping brim to brim records on my Titanium x 182 PS AWD auto petrol.
8803 miles done, commuting from West Sussex to Essex return round M25 and have averaged so far 31.7 mpg. Have noticed that the slightest upward incline causes a large drop in displayed instant mpg. Junctions and roundabouts have dropped this display to 5mpg. This is using the standard drive mode, not the S setting.

Question. Is it better to slowly accelerate to required speed, or get there as quickly as possible? I have tried both but have not noticed much change.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Are you just taking the computer reading for the MPG or working it out from the actual fuel purchased.
I am keeping a running total of what I have put in and keeping an eye on what the trip computer is saying between each fill. When towing (small caravan), I get 30.5 mpg actual, though the comp thinks it should be 36.7. Without the van I get 35 actual against 42 on the trip computer. We only fill up once a month or so, so will take a while to get a proper pattern, but seems to me the trip computer is about 11 percent out.

Although not terrible this is about the same as I got from a mk1 Freelander 2.0 TDCi, so the Ford 2.0 TDCi 150 (2015) appears to be a bit behind the curve on fuel consumption. My previous Focus 1.5 TDCi had significantly better consumption (over and above the expected difference with sizes). That regularly achieved better than 65 mpg on an 80 mile daily round trip.
As I said in my previous post, the 49.22MPG was brim to brim calculation - and that happened to be within 0.2 of the computer

·
Registered
192 Posts
2WD will always be better on economy than AWD. My economy goes down when town driving because it will always be in AWD mode below 40mph. It is a trade off you have to make. We don't really need AWD on the Kuga as most will never go off road but Ford sell the higher power models as AWD so we are stuck with it.
The best way of getting more mpgs is to drive smoothly. Don't brake harshly or accelerate harshly. Also when slowing down to a junction, leave it in gear until you almost stop. Some people disengage the gear but then you have no natural engine breaking.
I don't worry about the mpgs unless they were really low.
I am currently showing 32mpgs on the trip but I know I have done a lot of town driving of recent.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My Kuga only switches to AWD when it senses a lack of traction on the front wheels.
Around town it will spend mush of the time in FWD, only switching to AWD when accelerating.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Kuga only switches to AWD when it senses a lack of traction on the front wheels.
Around town it will spend mush of the time in FWD, only switching to AWD when accelerating.
They must have changed the settings as my 2014 rears work all the time until just over 40mph. I was curious how it worked so i looked at the info screen and watched the display show which wheel the power was going to. Once above 40 the rears disengage permanently.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The AWD activates in no particular order - (as I understand it)

Acceleration - boot it hard and everything grips, set off as a snail and will stay in FWD

Pitch & yaw- chuck it in a corner hard and things happen

Obviously any slip - mud, snow etc - found via the ABS monitoring system

I find mine stays in AWD longer when towing.

Now try this, in gear, clutch in & blip the accelerator, (Sat at lights) and the AWD display revs up saying AWD. Keen display then?

The 180 was too torquey for FWD, so Ford made it for AWD only.

Also note from tyre threads the tyres are lasting longer on the AWD's due to torque being shared about 4 not 2 wheels.

It does work, towed a trailer over a wet sand paddock the other month, did a bit of dancing as the computer had a think about it, coped very well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine always sets off in AWD mode even when pulling away at snail pace. What i have noticed is that if i do 30mph in 4th gear the rears deactivate. But if i keep it in 3rd gear at the same speed the rears stay active.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
On mine the AWD only comes into play with acceleration, turning with throttle applied, inclines and even when high speed cruising if it detects a loss of traction.
I would have thought they would all be calibrated the same, the diesels have more torque, the petrols more BHP.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Maybe automatics are different to manuals, but I find the rears are on whenever the system thinks torque on the road is required and that is sometimes when and you come to an incline that's sufficient to warrant rear wheels (it thinks) and definitely always on when setting off gently or otherwise and not particularly loss of traction. As Daz says seem to help with reducing tyre wear maybe particularly when setting off by distributing the torque over 4 wheels.

I've only ever seen the rear wheels only indication and that was in some crawling traffic on the M1 and it was in my 2013 Kuga.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is the benefit of AWD is that it does save on tyre wear. Just remember to rotate them every 6000 miles.
I love my Kuga and the economy but wish it had a larger boot. I have a 4 month old daughter (push chair and all the bags that go with her) so am now looking at swapping it to a Mondeo with AWD for the extra boot space.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I’m sure our vignale is the same as our others we’ve had, in fact I know our previous tit x sport was.

No matter what the conditions when the info drive system screen if on, all wheels are driven and then only at a normal speed does it drop to fwd.

I like that, it just make it feel solid when setting off.

2001 - 2017 of 2017 Posts