Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago and on 90K miles my 2013 model had the dreaded "Engine Malfuntion Service Now" followed by the Check Engine Light 60 minutes later. No obvious symptoms. Forscan showed several DPF errors:

P2463 DPF Soot Accumulation
P246B Vehicle conditions incorrect for DPF regeneration.
P244C Cat temp too low during regen

DPF Load was 147% and DPF Soot load was 171%

So this pointed to a lack of vaporised fuel being injected into the cat. Could be blocked vaporiser, failed vaporiser glowplug or failed metering pump. I took a punt on it being the vaporiser, ordered one on eBay from Transit Parts for £120 and monitored the soot loads while my wife still used it for work. After 4 days the DPF load was up to 270% and limited performance was on. Probably shouldn't have let her use it!

So, put the front of the car on my ramps and got stuck in. It sits about a spanners length forward of the rear of the subframe. Even after removing a cross member, exhaust bracket, another bracket and the vaporiser pump assembly it was impossibly to get enough spanner throw to actually undo it (I did try for 90 minutes!). Had to cut the glow plug wire, then put an old jack handle over the glow plug and bend it side to side until it snapped off (tried to saw off with airsaw but access too tight). Then I could get a 6-sided 22mm socket on it and off it came :) Still had to use a ratchet with a slim handle with the jack handle tube as an extension to get enough throw. Totally choked up with carbon! New one fitted in 10 minutes.

So for anyone attempting this I would suggest...

• No need to remove undertray.
  • Remove/reposition as many brackets as possible to improve access (the one on the left requires subframe bolt to be loosened so it can be rotated out of the way).
  • Unbolting the pump mounting bracket from the subframe also allows you to access the electric and fuel pipe connectors much more easily.
  • Cut the glowplug wire and use a suitable tube over it to bend it until it snaps off.
  • Use a 6-sided socket (don't want to risk rounding) to undo the nut.
  • If you can't get enough throw and/or leverage with your ratchet then a breaker bar and 12-point socket may work but try and initially loosen the nut with a 6-sided socket.
I spent about 2.5 hours on it but if I did it again it would be about an hour or less.

Hope that helps

Bob
vhuhmtZMRvur2EMukJWC5g.jpg

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Great write up, well explained.
I assume that the problem is now fixed?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Cut and pasted on a word document, and put in my Kuga folder on computer.

I tip for everybody out there.

Thanks Tractorboy,

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just realised I missed a bit from my post!

Did a static regen using Forscan. It aborted after about 25 minutes "due to user interruption". A Forscan issue I think as the soot load was down to about 10%. I don't think you'll ever get it down to zero on a 90K mile DPF as ash will accumulate over time.

Bob

·
Registered
910 Posts
Does the "Nut" spin independently of the sensor?.

In had all the steering rack, subframe out and had to release the pump and wiring (for a gearbox swap), the Diesel hardlines across the subrfame are a daft idea imho as there's no way to decouple from the main diesel line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you had any further Issues with your Kuga since you changed the vaporiser?

I have had my CAT temp sensors replaced which cleared the initial CAT temp too low issue. 24hrs later and the DPF Soot Accumulation code plus conditions not met for DPF regen tripped the engine warning light, and that is where I still am waiting for some idea from my garage as to where to go next.

It's a real shame reading the forum and seeing this issue repeated as the car is otherwise excellent.

Cheers

Ali

1 - 7 of 7 Posts