Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my experience of this little job.
Normally changing an alternator is no big deal, however when this starts off with having to remove the whole diesel fuel filter assembly you know its not going to be a walk in the park, having to bleed the diesel system after.....
So to get at the alternator and drive belt I had to remove, aforementioned Fuel Filter assembly, OSF road wheel and wheel arch liner (front part), washer bottle, OS engine mounting.
There are four mountings on the alternator 2 bolts at the top, 1 bottom (belt end) then a strange spigot and clamp arrangement on the bottom end furthest away from the belt held by a small Allen key !!!!!!
It is almost impossible to get at the belt tensioner correctly so I had to use a spanner on the nut with an extension to get enough force to move it to remove the belt and re-fit, word of warning take care there really is no room to get the spanner on and slipping is a real possibility. However even when all is back together the fun starts, the bleeding.
After recently carrying out a full engine service and having to bleed the system as i (stupidly) changed the fuel filter, I managed to break the the little plastic fitting (they go very brittle) going into the fuel pump and the replacement nylon pipe approx 18 inch long with a plastic fitting each end is £120 from Ford, I could not find one anywhere else I was terrified of breaking this again as you can imagine.
After an hour and a half bleeding the Kuga eventually burst into life, you will need a vehicle or some way to charge the cars battery.
Just thought I would share this hoping it may in some small way help someone.
Mark R.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for sharing Mark R.
Hopefully wont need to do that little job yet mate.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was fortunate enough that someone previously had installed the fuel priming bulb inline on the fuel line; made fuel priming sooooo much easier. If you have a handheld vacuum bleeder kit, you can connect that to the fuel return pipe and suck out the air that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was fortunate enough that someone previously had installed the fuel priming bulb inline on the fuel line; made fuel priming sooooo much easier. If you have a handheld vacuum bleeder kit, you can connect that to the fuel return pipe and suck out the air that way.
I do have a hand vacuum pump I was using to pull the air/diesel through the system, could not pull anything through the pump vacuum just built up and sat there..was I missing something?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts