Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I got a problem that's got me confused, 2011 2.0TDCi 140. 4x4 manual transmission Kuga.
After about 10 mins running the tickover raises to 1,100 rpm.
Stop engine wait a few minutes and it starts and runs normally, after a few minutes the problem returns.
Touch the brake pedal, tickover returns to 850 or so, release the pedal and back to 1,100.
This happened a year ago and after running STP DPF cleaner thru everything seemed OK, this time however the DPF cleaner hasn't helped, at least up to the time of writing.
For info, the MAF sensor has been cleaned - no change.
Done a high speed run to "blow things thru" - no change.
The car is up to date with all servicing etc, fluids are correct and everything works like it should.
We have ATM about 5*C, no trouble last summer at 35* or earlier this winter at -10*, so I don't thing it's a temperature problem.
The car is 9 1/2 years old, someone must have seen this, can anybody help??

Thanks Mark

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,301 Posts
Does your car have anti stall. If so then then could be your problem. On mine the anti stall works as you lift the clutch, it automatically raises the engine revs. In traffic I don't have to touch the accelerator to keep moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your car have anti stall. If so then then could be your problem. On mine the anti stall works as you lift the clutch, it automatically raises the engine revs. In traffic I don't have to touch the accelerator to keep moving.
Not that I'm aware of, I certainly can stall it, if anything I'd say the tickover is weak, a small amout of throttle is needed for steep inclines

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,301 Posts
Not that I'm aware of, I certainly can stall it, if anything I'd say the tickover is weak, a small amout of throttle is needed for steep inclines
Sounds like you haven't got anti stall on your model.

I would suggest buying a modded ELM327 if you haven't got one already and download Forscan to see if there are any fault codes stored.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you haven't got anti stall on your model.

I would suggest buying a modded ELM327 if you haven't got one already and download Forscan to see if there are any fault codes stored.
My fault, I forgot to mention, done that, only an old stored code ref alternator, cleared that, not that would influence this. I'm totally stumped

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm starting to wonder about the anti stall idea. It does have a switch on the clutch pedal, it could be possible I have always had an anti stall issue of some kind. It's certainly worth a look at. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
I "use" anti-stall on my MKII in stop start traffic... I don't touch the accelerator to take off, and the revs pickup from 800 to 1200 as I release the clutch...

·
Registered
Kuga mk1 2012 tdci
124 Posts
No, the mk1 does not have anti-stall. A sticky EGR can produce those symptoms, and/or a dirty MAP/temp sensor (gets clogged by the soot coming from the EGR), or the mass airflow sensor that's next to the air filter, or the turbo hose that's about to give. I would start by checking all that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My fault, I forgot to mention, done that, only an old stored code ref alternator, cleared that, not that would influence this. I'm totally stumped
Seems the alternator would be linked Mark. I paste below an exert from the service manual. The charging circuit is really quite complex on these. Hope this explanation helps:

General information

The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the alternator charging voltage. The connection between the PCM and the generator is made via the control module subnetwork (LIN) bus.

If the load on the alternator is high, the PCM can increase the idle speed.

The alternator is temporarily deactivated during engine starting so that the engine drag moment is minimized and it is reactivated again after the starting procedure.

The PCM controls the charge control lamp in the instrument cluster via the controller area network (CAN) bus.

Smart Charge system

In addition to the familiar functions, the Smart Charge system also performs the following functions:

• Automatic deactivation of non-critical high power electrical consumers when the battery voltage is low in order to reduce the level of current drawn.
  • Automatic activation of non-critical high power electrical consumers when the battery voltage is excessively high in order to protect components which are sensitive to increased voltages.
The battery charging current is optimized through continuous calculation of the battery temperature and monitoring of the alternator output voltage.

By receiving the forwarded alternator load signal, the PCM is given early warning whenever an electric consumer is switched on or off. This means that the PCM receives information about imminent changes in the torque drawn by the alternator. By evaluating this information the PCM can provide a higher level of idling stability.

The two remaining functions of the Smart Charge System are controlled by the GEM.

Electrical consumers are switched off due to low voltage when the GEM determines (on the basis of the message received from the PCM on the CAN bus via the instrument cluster) that the battery voltage has dropped below the threshold.

When the threshold for low battery voltage is reached the GEM automatically deactivates the following consumers - in this order and with a gap of 5 seconds between each:

• Electric booster heater (vehicles with diesel engines)
  • Heated exterior mirrors
  • Heated rear window
  • Heated windscreen
If the battery voltage rises back above the lower threshold then the GEM re-enables all of the electrical consumers which were previously disabled. They then have switched off status and must be switched back on by the driver.

Electrical consumers are switched on due to excessively high voltage if the GEM determines that the battery voltage is above the threshold for overvoltage and the charge control lamp has been switched on.

When the threshold is reached the GEM automatically activates the following consumers - in this order and with a gap of 5 seconds between each:

• Heated rear window
  • Heated exterior mirrors
  • Electric booster heater (vehicles with diesel engines)
  • Blower motor
If the battery voltage drops back below the threshold then the GEM automatically deactivates any consumers that were switched on. However, if they were switched on by the driver before the automatic activation, they will then be switched on again in turn with a 5-second time interval.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I got a problem that's got me confused, 2011 2.0TDCi 140. 4x4 manual transmission Kuga.
After about 10 mins running the tickover raises to 1,100 rpm.
Stop engine wait a few minutes and it starts and runs normally, after a few minutes the problem returns.
Touch the brake pedal, tickover returns to 850 or so, release the pedal and back to 1,100.
This happened a year ago and after running STP DPF cleaner thru everything seemed OK, this time however the DPF cleaner hasn't helped, at least up to the time of writing.
For info, the MAF sensor has been cleaned - no change.
Done a high speed run to "blow things thru" - no change.
The car is up to date with all servicing etc, fluids are correct and everything works like it should.
We have ATM about 5*C, no trouble last summer at 35* or earlier this winter at -10*, so I don't thing it's a temperature problem.
The car is 9 1/2 years old, someone must have seen this, can anybody help??

Thanks Mark
Hi Mark,
I'm experiencing the same problem on my mk2 (2014), how have you resolved your problem?
Thank You
Antonello

1 - 11 of 11 Posts