Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Mk3 Titainium 1st Ed, Lucid Red 1.5 Diesel
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week both front screen wash jets started to fail - not spraying water over the entire screen. This week both packed up. Interestingly both the headlamp water jets and rear screen jet were working correctly.

My car is now two years old and having worked for FMC I knew all to well that their reply would have been incorrectly maintained - not FMC warranty liability.

The MK3 screen wash fluid reservoir and pump are located in the O/S/F wheel arch, the same as pervious models.

Checking the reservoir, pump and associated feed pipes revealed no faults or foreign matter found.

However after removing and examining the screen wash jets they appeared to be blocked. Even using carburettor jet cleaning tools and compressed air they appeared to be blocked solid.

Fortunately my titanium uses unheated jets and genuine Ford replacements cost less than 拢25 including VAT for both. Had they been heated, then 拢35 each

Before I fitted them I expected to easily blow low pressure air through to check they were ok, but surprisingly they also appeared blocked, however when connected to the screen wash pipes they worked correctly, in fact a bit too well as a little screen wash fluid now goes past the top of the windscreen 馃槀

I can only assume the washer jets include non-return valves that had failed on the factory fitted items. The faulty washer jets are made from a hard moulded plastic and are a sealed for life design. The only way to open them would be by cutting, which I may well just do out of curiosity.

My reason for posting is that Interestingly the guy on the Ford counter said that they had not sold any unheated washer jets for the MK3, but had sold a few of the heated types

I鈥檓 interested to know if anyone else had similar problems ?

Registered
Yes I had the same problem. Tried to get the old washer jets off but was nigh on impossible without causing any damage. The local dealer Lookers of Sudbury fitted new jets. Again after the technician originally examined the jets he said they were blocked.
One interesting point is when I got the car new there was no fluid in the washers and I had to fill them myself.

HTH

Peter C

Registered
Mine have been replaced too, looks like another common issue :rolleyes:

Drivers side went first, followed shortly by passenger side. I assumed it was contamination in the screenwash but now im not sure.

Reactions: The Painter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm. Thanks for your replies. This appears to be yet another problem that FMC must, by now, know about but choose not to take ownership of.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can I ask those who had them replaced, was it a successful warranty claim or at your own expense?

I鈥檓 going to collate reply鈥檚 and if the failure rate is high consider putting a complaint into FMC customer relations and if they are aware of the problem what if any action they have took or intend to take to prevent future problems and address the factory fitted items that have failed.

Reactions: Psshaw

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Floor Hardwood Tool Shotgun

Wood Bumper Gas Composite material Machine

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I post the above photos of the offending item for the information of the Mk2 and 2.5 lads and girls just in case they are the same design, and as Keithmac has already posted, washer jets are also a known problem on the Mk2

Super Moderator
Mine failed on the way to the trade-in handover for my new car.

Just please that it was a lovely, sunny, non-dusty day save for the bit of tree gum that I wiped off once the middle and offside washers blocked together!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they are to fail, no better time than when your taking the car back to the mothership for them to hopefully sort before selling it on.

Reactions: Psshaw

Registered
Mine was an oddball situation.
Because mine is a company lease car, i have to do as the lease company dictates.
In this case, they presumed it wouldnt be honoured under warranty, so they told me to take it to Halfords (i wasnt best pleased at this). But regardless, Halfords changed both of them after ordering the parts from Ford and they worked.

Zero cost to me, but presumably the lease company paid.

Registered
I post the above photos of the offending item for the information of the Mk2 and 2.5 lads and girls just in case they are the same design, and as Keithmac has already posted, washer jets are also a known problem on the Mk2
They are a different design - the mk2 are bonnet mounted. I tried searching on ebay for the mk3 washer jets but couldnt find them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are a different design - the mk2 are bonnet mounted. I tried searching on ebay for the mk3 washer jets but couldnt find them.
I also looked on ebay with a negative result for the mk3. But lots of hits selling very similar washer jet for VW, Seat and Skoda. So it appears our German friends also have similar problems.

Im keeping hold of the originals and may put a fine drill bit through the jet just in case the replacements fail within two years as the factory fitted ones did.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine was an oddball situation.
Because mine is a company lease car, i have to do as the lease company dictates.
In this case, they presumed it wouldnt be honoured under warranty, so they told me to take it to Halfords (i wasnt best pleased at this). But regardless, Halfords changed both of them after ordering the parts from Ford and they worked.

Zero cost to me, but presumably the lease company paid.
Thanks for your reply. At least you weren鈥檛 out of pocket, but why should you, or anyone, be for a manufacturing problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It鈥檚 been a slow day today which has allowed a bit of research on VAG websites and it seems were to blame for the problem. Below text is an extract from one such site.

Fan jet washer systems require a high quality micro filtered screen wash to maintain efficiency and avoid blockage. Quantum premium screen wash - VW own brand - concentrate contains advanced water additives to stop the formation of scale and inhibit the growth of bio films and bacteria including Legionella in the washer bottle. ( 5ltrs of the VW Quantum concentrate is 拢18.99 on eBay.)

Well I never, who would have thought that, it鈥檚 our fault that jets are blocking because were not using the manufacturers own brand Solution 馃槀

Registered
Interesting that because the technician when he first examined the washers asked if I used ready mixed washer fluid, which I don't. He explained that some ready mixed fluid was too thick to pass through the jets. And no he did not recommend FMC fluid. He did mention that Halfords ready mixed could cause problems.

HTH

Peter C

PS I was only charged a nominal amount for the replacement jets

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting that because the technician when he first examined the washers asked if I used ready mixed washer fluid, which I don't. He explained that some ready mixed fluid was too thick to pass through the jets. And no he did not recommend FMC fluid. He did mention that Halfords ready mixed could cause problems.

HTH

Peter C

PS I was only charged a nominal amount for the replacement jets
Thanks for the reply, pleased that you didn鈥檛 pay full main dealer parts & labour charges, for what is literally a 5 minute job. It seems that there is no definitive preventative answer to this problem.

After driving for over 50yrs this is the first time I鈥檝e had to replace blocked washer jets, normally just use a pin or carburettor jet cleaning tool to clear the blockage.

Personally I鈥檓 going to use concentrated screenwash fluid diluted with filtered tap water.

Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
I have never used the ready mixed screenwash and always used the concentrate. I have never used distilled water either and we live in a hard water area.

Reactions: The Painter

Registered
Ill admit to using ready mixed screenwash as i have done for many years with all my other cars, but none of them have ever had a blocked nozzle, nevermind 2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts