Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All

Our family collected two new Fords this September 2020, Kuga and Fiesta, both Titanium's obviously the Fiesta has dual tone horns and the Kuga has one fitted off a 1970s moped ?. I did the correct procedure contacted the selling dealer, they could not help. Visited a local Ford Dealer, the very helpful parts gent said no parts available in Ford Daventry Distribution Centre. Contacted Ford Parts on line they cannot update or supply me. Contacted Ford Customer Service just a disinterested dismissal. Cannot find any taped up loom on RHS of radiator. I can only think of writing to the motoring press, or if anybody has any ideas please let me know. Thanks John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. Well I'm another victim of the PHEV saga, and await with interest as to whether if / when it will get resolved...which I'm sure it will.

Anyway that aside, has anyone noticed how sad the horn sounds on what is a 40k motor ( ST line X red / first edition /spare wheel / winter pack / 20" wheel upgrade.) My old Mondeo Titanium x sport and the missus' KA+ horns are more superior....both 2 tone. Had a quick shifty under the kuga bonnet and it is just a single toot toot horn. Has anyone else thought the same and / or looked at upgrading / improving. Ta ju
have you been through the official complaints procedure ? it doesn't seem to do any good, I have posted, John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. Well I'm another victim of the PHEV saga, and await with interest as to whether if / when it will get resolved...which I'm sure it will.

Anyway that aside, has anyone noticed how sad the horn sounds on what is a 40k motor ( ST line X red / first edition /spare wheel / winter pack / 20" wheel upgrade.) My old Mondeo Titanium x sport and the missus' KA+ horns are more superior....both 2 tone. Had a quick shifty under the kuga bonnet and it is just a single toot toot horn. Has anyone else thought the same and / or looked at upgrading / improving. Ta ju
Swamp Ford with complaints

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone. Well amazing how a topic about "horns" and "hooters" can go off at a tangent .... LOL. Anyways thanks for all the feedback -sounds like we all think the same about the little Toot Toot - but interesting about the Vignale though. I had already done a bit of research and noted that the the Mk7 Fiesta has a 2 tone ( Genuine Ford Fiesta MK7 Dual Note Electric Car Horn 1815233 ) so I had already a set that actually arrived today. Good thing is both horns are already pre-wired together and connect to the Kuga with the existing connector ( and sounds much better ). The small hiccup is trying to physically mount them - I've had an hour or so trying to devise a simple way / bracket in the area where the old horn ( and electrical connector ) is located, and believe me - what looks simple and straight forward - aint. Given up for tonight by fortunately I work in industry where I've access to almost fixings / bracket manufacturing / metal etc so going to give it a go next week when more time. Be handy though if anyone has any piccies of the Vignale horn assembly to see how it's shaped. Ta Ju
Many Thanks For the tip, I may go down that route, Ford 90% disinterested apart from a helpful Ford parts gent at a local dealership, you would think they would do the upgrade for cost instead of burying the issue. John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Jizzer I got my car back yesterday after the dealer fitted the other dual horn (they had it all day), they got hold of Ford and was told there is only one 1 wiring loom put in the new Ford Kuga Mk 3 and the only model that has the dual horn was the Vignale, but in the models where there was no dual horn the connection was taped back, the dealer looked and could not find it, to fit the new horn, I was told the front bumper had to came off, and they piggy banked from the oe horn to the new horn and now I have a dual horn that sounds like the dual horns I had in my Mk2 Kuga Titaiunum X.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
275 Posts
Ok thanks sounds a faff ...someone on here posted that they have the fiesta mk7 horns both are on the same bracket with one connection ..but were working out how to fit them ... enjoy your ear drum busting horns will have to make do with the duck fart horn for the time being . 😉😉

·
Registered
36 Posts
The horns should be on either side in front of the rad and there should be 2 connections, but the Dealership couldn't find the taped back connections, I got a call to say they where looking at removing the head light, so I suggested piggy banking the connections so they got a bracket and the dual horns are side by side.
Sorry Jizzer I couldn't deal with that beep beep 😂

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
275 Posts
Will have a go pretty good with cars and have all gear connectors etc ....might be on back burner just want to get battery issues sorted with it being a hybrid ....fallen out with car at the minute ......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good evening all

Well taking into account I started this discussion, I'm pleased to say that I've successfully completed the project and to be honest with you, it is actually quite straight forward.

I spent ages trying to find said second "taped up" connector on the right hand side, but to no avail. I'm not saying it's not in there somewhere, but to be honest, if you follow my route, then it's not needed.

1.) Obtain 1 x Genuine Ford Fiesta MK7 Dual Note Electric Car Horn 1815233 - available from a wide number of outlets - to be honest I bought a brand new set from Rates Ford via Ebay.

2). Remove the 3 way bracket they come attached to. You may need to utilise a small part of it, if you don't have access to suitable metal material to make your new bracket.

3) Remove the existing horn and disconnect. Believe me, it looks easy to get your hand and spanners in this area - but it ain't. I really recommend using a tether to any tool you use and the horns themselves, because if you drop anything, it's a real pain in the a$%e getting them out again - you have to be very creative ( Been there - done that !! )

4. Manufacture a small bracket to mount one of the new horns ( the one without the Ford connector ) to the additional mounting point. Get yourself a suitable 8mm set screw, washers , nut. ( I had stainless handy so used that ) ( ** I may actually replace these in due course with a nice anodised button socket headed screw to make it look better ** )

5. Fit the new horn ( with connector ) to the existing mounting point where the original horn was fitted & plug in the electrical connector.

6. Fit the second new horn / bracket to the square hole on the existing steel upright.

Press the horn button and admire your handy work. Chuck the old horn as far you can !!

Hope the photos help

Ju

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
9,693 Posts
I find the chat about the weak horn quite interesting. I have owned my car 18 months and haven't used my horn once. In fact I can't remember the last time I had to use it. I best go and see it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah the current draw for the extra horn will be negligible.... after all it's a short burst only ...
I had thought about that too, but I'm fairly confident that cable capacity will be ok, but as an experiment, I'll get my ammeter ( probably next week as it's at work ) , and measure the original horn and the replacement dual horn and see what current difference will be. To be honest , as long as the current draw isn't for a long duration, ( and I mean minutes rather than seconds ) then I'm sure it will be ok. I'll report back with findings as & when.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jizzer I got my car back yesterday after the dealer fitted the other dual horn (they had it all day), they got hold of Ford and was told there is only one 1 wiring loom put in the new Ford Kuga Mk 3 and the only model that has the dual horn was the Vignale, but in the models where there was no dual horn the connection was taped back, the dealer looked and could not find it, to fit the new horn, I was told the front bumper had to came off, and they piggy banked from the oe horn to the new horn and now I have a dual horn that sounds like the dual horns I had in my Mk2 Kuga Titaiunum X.
Hope this helps
Sounds very complicated, may I ask, did you pay for the upgrade, as my new moped horn Titanium is dismissed by Ford

·
Registered
121 Posts
yep ,without reading all replies here my 2019awd 180 sounded crap aswell posted on the mk 2 page got a lot back but was told a few times buy a horn out of halfords and fit it seems it does fit ok instead of that wee girlie thing they put on at ford

21 - 40 of 60 Posts